Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New or used Ignition switch near Boulder?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spunky goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

We are day 2 into a 2 week road trip and the ignition switch will no longer activates the starter. I confirmed it’s the switch by connecting the battery directly to terminal 50 on the solenoid and the van jumps to life. Continuity has also been confirmed from terminal 50 switch connection to solenoid connection.

I am able to start using a jumper wire between battery and solenoid, but would like to replace the switch with either a used one or new.

We will be in Boulder 6/12-6/14, Durango 6/15-6/18. Anyone have a spare they are willing to sell?
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

You are in luck you are vary close to Rocky Mountain westy. John
spunky goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
You are in luck you are vary close to Rocky Mountain westy. John

They show out of stock on the website, but I did email them as well to see if they have a used one available.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

Maybe a local FLAPS could have one ordered in quickly. Call a Napa auto parts. I would think someone in the Denver metro area would have van parts.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

Try the Volkswagen dealer.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

Porsche used that same switch.
Get one from a dealer, pay more and you might end up with a good one!

111 905 865L

Porsche 914 924 944

Dave

BTW, just hot wire in a push button ......

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

BTW, just hot wire in a push button ......

Hopefully someone nearby will chime in with a switch they can give you. Consider pinging the Denver thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688106

As mentioned, with a few sections of wire and crimp on connectors you can make a jumper, with push button if you desire, to connect the wires at the plug that the switch plugs into. 15 minutes outside of a FLAP.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

I have a spare new switch in Denver you can have for cost. I keep several on hand at all times...PM me if interested.

Connor
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

Bus Depot claims the switch they are now selling works well.

I will often order parts from Halsey Import Parts in Portland, OR when out on the road. They may not always have the absolute best parts out there, but I will often have the part in hand the next day no matter where in the country I am.
spunky goat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New or used Ignition switch near Boulder? Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I got it sorted this morning. The solenoid began to stick intermittently also, so I took a trip up to VanCafe/Rocky Mountain Westy to pick up a new starter too. Trevor there was super helpful, a pleasure to work with, and gave pointed me to a good route to drive down to Salida.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: