Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Door Glass / Door Window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I recently had to remove the door glass / window on my Karmann ghia. It turned out to be quite complicated. I found some step by step directions in the VW Service Manuals and spent several hours searching for information on TheSamba, but I really didn't find a clear step by step method. I also had some help from other members here on TheSamba, but even with all this information, I still had a very difficult time. I spent several hours trying lots of different ideas of which most were not helpful.

I wanted to document the method I used to remove the door glass/windows on a Karmann Ghia. I'm sure there's more than one way to do this but I hope documenting this will be helpful, and maybe other can add to the thread with corrections or additional tips.

Here is a step by step description of what worked for me. I am not saying that this is the best way or even a correct way. But it got the job done and I did not do any damage to any parts. The doors I worked on are 1970 / 1971 style. These instructions may not apply 100% to all years.

The 70 / 71 doors have 2 window felts, one on each side of the glass. 73 /74 doors do not have the same set up but this may still be helpful. Prior to 1970, I read that the doors have a Felt Strip on the inside only and anti-rattle plugs on the outside of the glass. Either way, I think how I removed my glass should still work.

The doors I worked on are in very good condition. There is a metal strip that is spot welded to the inside outer edge of the window opening. This metal strip holds the rubber window scraper in place against the glass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This metal strip narrows the window opening and makes pulling the glass up & out of the door very difficult. My original set of doors were rusted at the top opening and these metal strips were completely gone. On these original doors, I was able to pull the glass up through the opening with no problem.

Start by lowering or raising the glass to get access to the 4 mounting bolts on the metal clamp that holds the glass to the Window Regulator. The lower bolts are shorter. The upper 2 bolts have separate nuts and go through the glass, clamp, and regulator bracket.

Gently lower the glass to the bottom of the door.

Remove all hardware from the window opening at the top of the door. In my case it was 2 felt strips, chrome trim on outside of window opening that holds the rubber window scraper. If you have any Anti Rattle plugs, remove them as well.

Unbolt the window regulator and window track and remove from the door shell.

At this point, having an extra helper will make things much easier.

At this point, the glass can be carefully raised up through the opening, however the areas where the bolts go through the clamp are raised and are the widest part that has to come up through the opening and they will not come through easily. The VW Service Manual seems to imply that the window can be turned upright and lifted but this would not work for me. The glass is curved and when it's standing up, it needs a much wider opening.

When I would raise the glass up through the opening, all seemed ok until the edge of the metal clamp on the door came to the inner lip of the opening. The edge of the clamp was always catching on the outer lip of the door. To overcome this, I put a plastic "For Sale" sign down inside the opening against the outside (back side from where you are working) of the door. I taped it to the outer door skin. The plastic sign guides the glass and clamp past the inner lip of the door.

I lifted the glass up at an angle. Being right handed, I lifted the right side of the glass out first. The bottom edge of the glass is angled so as the left side of the glass rises above the opening, slide the glass back to the left so the nuts will come up as close to the center of the door as possible. This will allow for greater flexibility when prying the opening apart. At the point that the first nut is below the opening, have one person hold and maneuver the glass. The 2nd person can then use a piece of hardwood as a fulcrum to push the edges of the opening away from each other as in the photo. The wood I used was 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch wide and 10 inches long. This worked perfectly and was very easy. The opening can be pulled apart enough to allow the glass to come through without any damage. Once the pressure is released, the opening springs back to it's original width.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, now added to the "How To" stickies. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

More magic from a real craftsman!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

Thank you. Isn't magic supposed to be fast!! Laughing I spent about 3 hours taking these doors apart, most of it spent on the windows.

If I had to do it again, it shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes and that includes putting the tools away at the end.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Thank you. Isn't magic supposed to be fast!! Laughing I spent about 3 hours taking these doors apart, most of it spent on the windows.

If I had to do it again, it shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes and that includes putting the tools away at the end.

That’s the magic! You figured out tools and process with success!
I am still puzzling over drilling a hole in my brake drum...
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Nice write up.
I used one of those rubber door stop wedges to open things up when I removed mine.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Nice write up.
I used one of those rubber door stop wedges to open things up when I removed mine.

Thank you.

A rubber door stop wedge!! Of Course!! That's a great idea!! Perfect dimensions!! I wouldn't be surprised if VW might of had a similar tool. I have several, but one is now going to the garage. Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

jarnarcos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Having trouble mounting the window scrapers on a 1971 KG. Clips keep shifting and then scratching the door glass. Anybody tried mounting the scrapers using 3M VHB (double-sided) tape?

https://www.uline.com/Grp_240/3M-VHB-Tape

Is used on RV's to hold solar panels to the roof.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

jarnarcos wrote:
Having trouble mounting the window scrapers on a 1971 KG. Clips keep shifting and then scratching the door glass. Anybody tried mounting the scrapers using 3M VHB (double-sided) tape?

https://www.uline.com/Grp_240/3M-VHB-Tape

Is used on RV's to hold solar panels to the roof.

I can't imagine why you should need double-sided tape. Can you post pictures? There has to be a reason for the problem. Which clips are you referring to?? The only clips that have to do with the window scrapers are the clips that hold the chrome trim down over the rubber scraper. Need more information. This video shows how to properly install the window scraper:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZciT2Gz2Cs

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

jarnarcos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

There are metal backed felt strips, sometimes also called window scrapers, that go into the window slot, one strip on each side of the window. They are held in with metal clips. The clips can ride over the strip and scrape/scratch the window. Apparently VW only used this design for 70,71 and then went on to other approaches in later years.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

jarnarcos wrote:
There are metal backed felt strips, sometimes also called window scrapers, that go into the window slot, one strip on each side of the window. They are held in with metal clips. The clips can ride over the strip and scrape/scratch the window. Apparently VW only used this design for 70,71 and then went on to other approaches in later years.

Ok,i get it now. Hard to know what exactly is going on without some pictures. Sounds like the clips on the felt strips are not crimped properly. For the 70 & 71s, yes they have a felt strip on both sides of the glass. Depending on the year there was a variety of configurations. Some yrs had only one felt strip. Starting in 72 and beyond, there is another different configuration. When installed correctly, the felt strips will not move.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

jarnarcos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I went ahead and used the tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7F8TU/

Seems to work fine. Thinking about it...the part of the clip that grips the felt looked far too "open" to properly grip. Are you supposed to install the felt to the clip and THEN squeeze the clip to crimp the felt in place? Or do you just push the felt down into the clip?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

jarnarcos wrote:
I went ahead and used the tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y7F8TU/

Seems to work fine. Thinking about it...the part of the clip that grips the felt looked far too "open" to properly grip. Are you supposed to install the felt to the clip and THEN squeeze the clip to crimp the felt in place? Or do you just push the felt down into the clip?

The clips have to be attached to the felt strips first. So you have to carefully position them to match the holes in the door. Crimp them down securely and then install into the door.

If the tape holds over time, sounds like a feasible alternative. Time will tell.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Michaellatini Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Marcdeb, thanks for posting your trick for removing the glass. It worked well. Smile Unfortunately, I scratched the paint a bit and that made me think. Rolling Eyes Since this is a repaint it wasn't much to think about until it's time to put it back together.

On the second window I did it differently. See photos.

1) I sprayed a generous amount of PB Blaster, along the edge of the rubber.
WD 40 would be fine also. To get to the other side of the glass I raised the window to the top and sprayed from the outside.

2) I removed the two top bolts only as they go through the glass. The bottom two will hold down the bracket surrounding the glass.
Then, heated the metal bracket in front of the rubber and the back side of the metal in the middle only. (see photo)

(held heat gun pointing up and a little behind) The rear of the bracket is only half the length of the visible side in the photo so, don't heat all the way across the back or you might melt the rubber. I only used the heat gun for 2 or 3 mins. before I tried to lift the glass out of the bracket. It came out as if I was lifting 10 lbs of sand.

If you want to remove the rest of the regulator, first I took out the 4 bolts holding the crank in place and slid it to the rear of the door.

3) The vertical support has a large philips head screw at the top that wouldn't budge. I didn't want to start banging on it with an impact so, I removed the bottom nut, after taking a photo of the location of the nut on the adjuster! I pushed the bottom into the door, held the screw with a screw driver and pushed the regulator toward the front on the passenger side, rear on the drivers side. The screw as loose!

I hope this helps also.

Thank you for reading.

Michael
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Michaellatini wrote:
Marcdeb, thanks for posting your trick for removing the glass. It worked well. Smile Unfortunately, I scratched the paint a bit and that made me think. Rolling Eyes Since this is a repaint it wasn't much to think about until it's time to put it back together.

Michael

Hi Michael,
I ended up removing windows from 4 doors, my originals, and then a spare set. but I have yet to reinstall them.
Your comments are helpful as I will be assembling my doors soon. When I pulled my windows out, I remember being relieved that I managed to avoid any paint damage. The space is very tight. I will post my progress when I get to that point.
Thank you for posting your details.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I too banged up the paint on one door when replacing my windows, they were out while body and paint were done, stuck them in before Marc wrote his thread. I put a bunch of tape down, but clearly wasn't enough, some is hidden by the felt strips, but will have to touch up a couple spots.. When I did the other side, I removed the lift piece, can't remember the name, slipped the glass in from the top, and then wedged it back into the lift piece, while lining it up to slide in and match the holes in the glass. I had to use a rubber mallet to lightly tap on top of the glass to get it to slip into the rubber pad, and the gently used a taped up screwdriver to align the holes in place. It worked for me and didn't chip the paint. Remember to put a small piece of rubber into the glass holes, I used a small slice of fuel hose, just make sure your bolts go through it.

If you spread the lift piece (channel?) a little and perhaps use your heat gun slightly on the rubber, the glass may wedge in a bit easier, then you need to get some bolts to close the metal to the glass. Whatever method you use, it takes time and finesse!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Michaellatini Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

I put the rubber on the glass and wet the outside of the rubber and the inside of the steel bracket, with soapy water and it made it slip right in.
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Michaellatini wrote:

On the second window I did it differently. See photos.

1) I sprayed a generous amount of PB Blaster, along the edge of the rubber.
WD 40 would be fine also. To get to the other side of the glass I raised the window to the top and sprayed from the outside.

2) I removed the two top bolts only as they go through the glass. The bottom two will hold down the bracket surrounding the glass.
Then, heated the metal bracket in front of the rubber and the back side of the metal in the middle only. (see photo)

(held heat gun pointing up and a little behind) The rear of the bracket is only half the length of the visible side in the photo so, don't heat all the way across the back or you might melt the rubber. I only used the heat gun for 2 or 3 mins. before I tried to lift the glass out of the bracket. It came out as if I was lifting 10 lbs of sand.

If you want to remove the rest of the regulator, first I took out the 4 bolts holding the crank in place and slid it to the rear of the door.

3) The vertical support has a large philips head screw at the top that wouldn't budge. I didn't want to start banging on it with an impact so, I removed the bottom nut, after taking a photo of the location of the nut on the adjuster! I pushed the bottom into the door, held the screw with a screw driver and pushed the regulator toward the front on the passenger side, rear on the drivers side. The screw as loose!

I hope this helps also.

Thank you for reading.

Michael

-----------------------------

Your #2 answered a question for me. I was wondering if that metal piece could possibly be installed a little out of place on the bottom of the window but since you said the bolts go through the glass I guess it can't.

I'm having a bad time trying to get the glass adjusted front and rear. That front/back adjustment is already all the way back and the window still doesn't reach the seal on the quarter post. (all seals are new). Even with it all the way back there is still a small gap at the quarter post seal and a small gap in the front where the windows curves to the rear.
It would seem that setting the height adjustment would fix the issue but it's as high as it can be if i want to close the door.
Your post is the closet I've come to resolving this as it eliminates one possible cause.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

Ron, I just went through this with my convertible, so not only did I have to cut all the angles for the weather strip, but then I had to adjust all the glass to match up, which it didn't. Not only did I have to play back and forth with the window lift (sash?) #2 in the pics above, but I also had to loosen the nut at point #3 in the pic.

That got the glass positioned in the zone, after rolling up and down several times. When you roll all the way up and get it close to position, lock that nut down. You will see the lift channel move back and forth in the slot, but when I had it all the way up I tightened that nut down. The window went up and down smoothly.

The main problem I had was the gap distance I had in some spots between the glass and the rubber. To fix that, I had to reposition the rubber, re-drill some new holes for the screws, and move the rubber in place. In other locations I had to use rubber shims to bring the rubber closer to the glass. Luckily I had some of the original broken rubber that had some factory original shims, just strips of rubber. I cut the proper length and thickness, loosened the screws, slipped the rubber in, and tightened down. This not only brought the rubber to the glass, but the glass closer to the rubber, no gaps now.

See the last page or so of my build thread, I documented some of this as described. Not sure if this will fix your situation, but it worked for my problem.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
ron3865
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Door Glass / Door Window Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Ron, I just went through this with my convertible, so not only did I have to cut all the angles for the weather strip, but then I had to adjust all the glass to match up, which it didn't. Not only did I have to play back and forth with the window lift (sash?) #2 in the pics above, but I also had to loosen the nut at point #3 in the pic.

That got the glass positioned in the zone, after rolling up and down several times. When you roll all the way up and get it close to position, lock that nut down. You will see the lift channel move back and forth in the slot, but when I had it all the way up I tightened that nut down. The window went up and down smoothly.

The main problem I had was the gap distance I had in some spots between the glass and the rubber. To fix that, I had to reposition the rubber, re-drill some new holes for the screws, and move the rubber in place. In other locations I had to use rubber shims to bring the rubber closer to the glass. Luckily I had some of the original broken rubber that had some factory original shims, just strips of rubber. I cut the proper length and thickness, loosened the screws, slipped the rubber in, and tightened down. This not only brought the rubber to the glass, but the glass closer to the rubber, no gaps now.

See the last page or so of my build thread, I documented some of this as described. Not sure if this will fix your situation, but it worked for my problem.
Jeff

-------------------------
I just checked mine and the two bolts you show through the glass don't go through mine. The glass must be held in that carrier (the one with 4 small bolts) with glue or just pressure. With the window up I need it to go at least 1/4" more to the rear. The only way too do that is to relocate the glass in the carrier. Or I could go with a bush fix of adding some rubber to the rear molding strip. Or just not worry about it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: