Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Eurovan won't start
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
megagreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

Hi all,

Need some help (much obliged).

My 1995 Eurovan camper will not start. It was driving just fine, but after resting in a cold garage for a month, I tried to start it and nada: I put the key in, turn it, no power, no engine turn over, no sound, no clicks, nothing. When opening the hood I can see the ignition cable moving, but don't see any telltale signs of anything wrong (not that I would really know).

I tried replacing the battery - that did not help. The new battery is reading at 12V+. The internal lights in the camper work, but the headlights, radio, etc, do not.

Spider sense tells me it's the ignition switch or starter, but I don't know how to diagnose. The Van is parked in a garage in the rural mountains of California—so I'd like to do as much diagnosing and even repair as I can. It's going to be hard to find a mechanic out here. That said, if anyone know a good mechanic near Sierraville, Loyalton, Truckee, region I'd be most grateful.

Thanks much
Greg
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

Did you clean the battery cables when you installed the battery? Also check the ground wires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

What do you mean by "I can see the ignition cable moving"?

What exactly is your battery voltage?

There are may threads on here about replacing the ignition switch, which is a very common point of failure.

AvantWerks in Truckee can definitely help you out.

http://avantwerks.com
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

smores wrote:
What do you mean by "I can see the ignition cable moving"?

What exactly is your battery voltage?

There are may threads on here about replacing the ignition switch, which is a very common point of failure.

AvantWerks in Truckee can definitely help you out.

http://avantwerks.com

RNO are you in Reno?

megagreg wrote:
Hi all,

My 1995 Eurovan camper will not start. It was driving just fine, but after resting in a cold garage for a month, I tried to start it and nada: I put the key in, turn it, no power, no engine turn over, no sound, no clicks, nothing. When opening the hood I can see the ignition cable moving, but don't see any telltale signs of anything wrong (not that I would really know).

I tried replacing the battery - that did not help. The new battery is reading at 12V+. The internal lights in the camper work, but the headlights, radio, etc, do not.

Spider sense tells me it's the ignition switch or starter, but I don't know how to diagnose. The Van is parked in a garage in the rural mountains of California—so I'd like to do as much diagnosing and even repair as I can. It's going to be hard to find a mechanic out here. That said, if anyone know a good mechanic near Sierraville, Loyalton, Truckee, region I'd be most grateful.

Thanks much
Greg

I am in Truckee, but I am just getting my feet wet with these vans.

Making sure that your battery is in good condition and connections are tight and clean is the first step. In general I would check the starter next. The no clicks suggest that no power is getting to the starter. MAke sure Both wires to the starter are clean and tight. While your down there take a meter to the 2 wires, have someone crank and see if you are getting any juice. If juice, Something is not right with the starter. If no juice you have start tracking back from there.

Key ignitions don't generally die all of a sudden. Jiggle it. DO you run a big set of keys hanging off the ignition when you drive?
megagreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

Quote:
RNO are you in Reno?

1 hour away from Reno and 30 mins from Truckee

Quote:
I am in Truckee, but I am just getting my feet wet with these vans.

Making sure that your battery is in good condition and connections are tight and clean is the first step. In general I would check the starter next. The no clicks suggest that no power is getting to the starter. MAke sure Both wires to the starter are clean and tight. While your down there take a meter to the 2 wires, have someone crank and see if you are getting any juice. If juice, Something is not right with the starter. If no juice you have start tracking back from there.

Key ignitions don't generally die all of a sudden. Jiggle it. DO you run a big set of keys hanging off the ignition when you drive?

I'll get under there and look - thanks for the tips!
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

megagreg wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks much
Greg

Which battery did you replace? The house battery or the starting battery? Also what is meant by " I can see the ignition cable moving?"
cocoablini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

Just new to this board.
No clicking, whirring and no headlights seem to point to battery. Have you looked at the headlights at night. Are they even dim?
For starting, could be solenoid(or van equivalent) is shot.
POS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

My 2000 would not start because I had passenger seat pivoted to face rear...

Just glad I was in my garage.....

Thought I would throw this out there.

David

"This thead is about badgers, not hyenas.... get back on track ok?"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan won't start Reply with quote

I agree, would start with the voltage check you should have something over 12 around the 12.7v neighborhood is good for starting.

If you do have power from the battery than you can take some wire and run it from the solenoid to the battery. There is a connector on the back of the solenoid you can attach this test wire to if you run that 12v current to the solenoid and you hear nothing it is your solenoid.

if your solenoid passes the current to the starter and rotates the flywheel then it is something in between the battery and the solenoid like the ignition relay or the actual ignition switch. this happened to me and i rigged up an inline 12v switch to a hot 12v wire and used it to send power to the solenoid and start the engine.

as a side note: an oxide inhibitor gel you can get at an electrical supply store help will eliminate corrosion when applied to the battery terminals after your connections are thoroughly cleaned. *
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: