Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I just finished installing one of these in a customers 5 speed Double Cab. There was a set back because someone had installed a 4 speed shift set up at some point. Luckily the customer had the 5 speed in his spares pile. So that meant that I had to split the rods and loose the alignment.

Along with the new shifter I replaced all of the shift components wears items as well as the rubber boots. I found the plastic Universal joint to be almost completely seized. I pulled it apart and lubed it.

Once installed I had to grind the Reverse lockout plate just little bit. They tell you 2mm and that makes all the difference.

This truck has a front bench seat and a raised floor heater duct, so that added a little time pulling that and working around it. I have not tried to fit the Shift boot yet, but that should be easy to over come.

The customer came by and we took it out for a drive and was impressed that he was not rowing a boat trying to get gears. Because it had a 4 speed shifting box you had to push down to get 1st. Now you just go over and and drop it in into place.

Instructions are adequate, it would be nice if there were a video of one going in for us more visual learners. If I hadn't already bough tone of Chris's solid shifters and done a complete linkage rebuild I'd be seriously thinking of one of these my camper.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/xCSgCV5uEME
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

That is a lot of money (and weight Very Happy ) to keep the lever in central position while your in neutral. Rolling Eyes
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Okay -- I have one on backorder and supposedly a batch just cleared Customs.

Big expectations are riding on this piece of kit but the old shifter is nightmare material, even after a 100% rebush on a newly done transmission (Matt in Jersey). The shift lever even snapped on a trip! Thankfully, it wasn't far from a fully stocked hardware store so a tap, a stud, cursing, epoxy and many steel slivers later . . . I made it home.

Enough! Give me modern shifting!

Next Project: retrofitting a 6-speed sequential auto shifter from a Treg. JK!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2o-Bar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I installed mine about a year ago. So Stoked about how positive the shifting is now compared to beforehand.
Definitely a Top 3 mod for me.
Now if I could only find time to instal my new T3techique HD Anti-roll bar!
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

The Syncro has the worst shifting of any manual shifter I've driven. The best was a 61 Bug; a 68 Chevy 10 with a floor mounted Hurst was pretty good - much better than on the tree.

I had a 68 and 77 Bus that weren't bad and when I rebushed the 77 it was a dream to shift. I even had an Audi 5000 with a 5sp that was basically great except for quick shifts to R, which would occasionally jam.

The Syncro is hard. It's vague. It makes me tired and fatigued on a long trip.

Reverse is always a guess and it grinds going into First so often I wonder how long it will survive a brand new rebuild.

And I changed literally every wear item in the entire shift mechanism and spent a long time adjusting it!

I don't honestly know how VW had the nerve to offer that system for sale to the public!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

WestyWonderland wrote:
The best was a 61 Bug; a 68 Chevy 10 with a floor mounted Hurst was pretty good - much better than on the tree.

You should drive a car built this millennium. Laughing Especially by Mazda, the RX-8 is still the best shifting car I have ever driven. The shifter drops right into the transmission. In fact, you can fill the trans oil by removing the shifter.

Agreed that the Vanagon shifting is objectively bad. I redid all my shifter components, all new bushings, alignment, etc, and it is much much better than it was when I bought it. One thing that helped my Syncro a ton was spacing down the engine mustache bar 2" since it came with a RWD mustache bar. This put a lot of strain on the shifting. So double check you have the right bar.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

H2o-Bar wrote:

Now if I could only find time to instal my new T3techique HD Anti-roll bar!

So, the only thing I can mention on this would be you might need to grind the area on the frame where the ARB's clamp bolts down. The work to replace that bar was very minimal, and would have been around an hour if I didn't have to fiddle with the grinding. I am happy with it.
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Is there an obvious tell? I just had mine off to install the RMW/Vanistan SS exhaust system and it seemed "normal" to my eye, reminiscent of the Type 2 bars. I did see a bow in the middle, slight no more than 1/4" or so, but I thought it might have gotten smashed off-road along the way.

4Gears4Tires wrote:

One thing that helped my Syncro a ton was spacing down the engine mustache bar 2" since it came with a RWD mustache bar. This put a lot of strain on the shifting. So double check you have the right bar.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

You should drive a car built this millennium. Laughing Especially by Mazda, the RX-8 is still the best shifting car I have ever driven. The shifter drops right into the transmission. In fact, you can fill the trans oil by removing the shifter.

I owned an RX-8, and out of all the manuals I've had over the years I've been chasing that particular snick-snick ever since. The 711 shifter will totally get my syncro there, right? Laughing
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I bought mine in 07, had it for 7 years. It set the bar for me as well. The 711 shifter actually does make it feel a lot better. Certainly not an RX8 but maybe a poorly shifting 80s BMW.

As soon as my van is running properly (i.e. never) I am going to give installing my 711 shifter another go.

WestyWonderland wrote:
Is there an obvious tell? I just had mine off to install the RMW/Vanistan SS exhaust system and it seemed "normal" to my eye, reminiscent of the Type 2 bars. I did see a bow in the middle, slight no more than 1/4" or so, but I thought it might have gotten smashed off-road along the way.

Yes. The triangles on the side are much longer for Syncros. I can't find a picture of a Syncro version. But if the places where the engine support bar bolts to the chassis looks the same as below then maybe post a picture of yours.

RWD
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Looking at the rear of a syncro it’s sort of obvious. You can see about half of the exhaust system, where the exhaust on the 2wd is mostly behind the rear valance.
Vantasric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

This video shows the install and gear movements really well.

Link
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

I owned an RX-8, and out of all the manuals I've had over the years I've been chasing that particular snick-snick ever since. The 711 shifter will totally get my syncro there, right? Laughing
Ha! In the olden days, pretty much every front engine/rear drive car had the shifter poke directly into the gearbox - and shifting was so positive! MGB, Fiat 124, Alfa, Chevy pickup, Mustang...everything but VW, Renault and Minis.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Considering all the vans I’ve driven.. not to mention other manuals from three on the tree to carrera GT’s ... I’ve just never been upset with the stock syncro set-up. It’s not vague or difficult .. it just works. The Syncro transaxle needs to be shifted slowly/lazily and a stock system lends itself to that.

J
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

To those wanting to have a stock "looking" boot setup (here's to you @syncrodoka and @SODO.), I took a spare boot and cut off the bottom most pleat, then I trimmed off the bottom flange (part that tucks under the carpet) of my original boot to just under the size of the bottom most pleat. Then all you hafta do, is tuck the trimmed boot into the cut off boot, don't even have to glue the 2 pieces together, though I did put a small bead of blk E6000 between the 2 pieces. Looks almost stock, just has 1 extra pleat and enough height to fit under the carpet.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

do-da--Sounds nice. Could we have a photo plz?
jacksonpm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Raising the stock boot about an inch allows it to clear the 025 shifter nicely
I cut my spacer from a piece of 5/4 Boral I had laying around
But any inch thick stock will get it done.

jbmbenjamin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Recently received the 711 shifter from T3 and it’s nice. Mine was one of the recent ones that had the hardware delayed. I had a Bus Club event in Jerome, AZ to go to and couldn’t wait for the hardware to arrive so I made my own.
This shifter works really, really well and I certainly do recommend it. Going on a trip this week to Big Bend NP in Texas. We will be gone about 10 days and I hope to be able to give a more thorough report of how well it works on a long trip as well as give some details on the installation. Even though the install is pretty straightforward and simple if you just follow the installation instructions.
I’m working on a shift boot riser much like one of those posted above. Won’t have it ready for my trip but hope to get it finished soon after our return.
I’ll include some photos if I can just figure out how to upload them into the photo gallery!
John
Silicone hose kit by VanCafe
RMW/Vanistan SS WBX performance exhaust
In Dash AC by Small Car with fresh air
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I know lots of people like stock. But when you put the shift boot on top of a piece of 1" wood with exposed screws, it's no long stock anyway. I've always thought the boot is ugly and unnecessarily big. I made a replacement out of leather. Easy to do and looks far better and you don't need any extra wood to make up a difference in height. Sew one up out of heavy cloth first to check the fit. Not a big deal at all.

In the photos, look at all that extra space behind the shift lever that isn't needed. Make the boot smaller where it meets the floor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: