Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
txoval wrote:
Holy crap! All their shifters went up big time.

$300 is a cubic butt load for a shifter...let alone $500-$700 or God forbid $1280

I remember when their shifters were $160-$180

The original Hurst shifter which I bought in 1968 and it still works fine cost about $29.

What is $29 in 1968 worth in today's money? Adjusted for inflation, $29.00 in 1968 is equal to $222.82 in 2021. Annual inflation over this period was 3.92%.
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.ph...in%20today's%20money%3F&text=Adjusted%20for%20inflation%2C%20%2429.00%20in,over%20this%20period%20was%203.92%25. So it was also expensive.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

And I'll say it again. I likes me my push down reverse Twisted Evil

I thought the same thing but after just a few times backing up it felt totally normal. Consider that when you are banging into second and pulling the shifter toward you there is no down movement anymore.

My experience has been that this classic VS shifts better for me that the hurst, berg, scat, bugpack, stock and modified stock shifters, it sort of does not make a lot of scene to me but well I can't argue with the results.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

smclean wrote:
I didn't measure the diameter of the stock ball vs the Porsche bushing. It could be a larger diameter on the bushing or it could feel better because the bushing is not a "ball" shape, it's a near zero draft column with a radius on the bottom only. That column would have more surface area to engage with the rod in the tunnel. Hope that makes sense, hard to explain w/out pics and the shifter is already in the car...

Thanks for the info.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

I've sold two Berg shifters cuz I couldn't imagine ever replacing my Bug-tech. That is, until I go vertigate.

https://www.bug-tech.de/
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
I've sold two Berg shifters cuz I couldn't imagine ever replacing my Bug-tech. That is, until I go vertigate.

that looks nice. How is reverse actuated?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

$200-300 for a nice custom shifter is understandable. My custom Berg was $270.

But $500-700? SOB better shift on voice command

toxicavenger70 wrote:
txoval wrote:
The problem with cars (maybe not all) is that those guys paying someone $40k to $80k can’t turn around and sell them for $20k

I understand prices going up, but $500-600 for a VW shifter is getting a little nuts

I agree they are expensive. But I should mention the cheapest one is $242. Which is not crazy for a custom made piece imo. https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-13-5-QUICK-SHIFTER-p87541270
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

toxicavenger70 wrote:
txoval wrote:
The problem with cars (maybe not all) is that those guys paying someone $40k to $80k can’t turn around and sell them for $20k

I understand prices going up, but $500-600 for a VW shifter is getting a little nuts

I agree they are expensive. But I should mention the cheapest one is $242. Which is not crazy for a custom made piece imo. https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-13-5-QUICK-SHIFTER-p87541270

Laughing

That's the first funny statement I've seen here on the samba in a good while.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
txoval wrote:

toxicavenger70 wrote:
txoval wrote:

Laughing

That's the first funny statement I've seen here on the samba in a good while.

For that kind of cost it better do more than that when I command it. Twisted Evil
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Dauz wrote:

that looks nice. How is reverse actuated?

There’s a springloaded plate. So left, then up.

Last edited by Dauz on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Guys I think if we had a graph it would show stock shifter at the bottom, then the better shifters like the old Hurst.

The Berg would be the shifter to match or beat. Which some guys they can confirm some better then Berg.

The amount better, said to be not dramatic. More like " I like the way the other shifter looks.

Then we get into Price, any thing is not cheap, but some are sky-high.

As for the Bug Tech - I love the way it looks, but in price, we are talking in the Stratosphere!

Any one would like to stand by how much better it is then the Berg? I don't think they are giving away samples we can test drive for a while.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Guys I think if we had a graph it would show stock shifter at the bottom, then the better shifters like the old Hurst.

The Berg would be the shifter to match or beat. Which some guys they can confirm some better then Berg.

The amount better, said to be not dramatic. More like " I like the way the other shifter looks.

Then we get into Price, any thing is not cheap, but some are sky-high.

As for the Bug Tech - I love the way it looks, but in price, we are talking in the Stratosphere!

Any one would like to stand by how much better it is then the Berg? I don't think they are giving away samples we can test drive for a while.

Because it does not use a ball and socket type joint it might have a little bit less of a wobbly feel compare to all the others. Not sure the benefit of their U-joint or why they decided on that design, but it sure does look high-tech (not my style but to each his own.) I dont think there is anything really that special about the Berg compared to VS or CSP which seem to be the other top contenders here. I feel like the people who use a Berg shifter already think everything from Berg is the best no matter what, hence that's why it seems like the one to compare too Rolling Eyes It's also been around for longer.

Honestly for a daily driver it's all about perceived feel and looks. A short throw kit is enough for most people functionally. However, a nicely machined more precise shifter, that is heavier and more substantial than stock, can really make shifting a joy. The other major factor is the aesthetic one, it can really transform the interior if that's what you are after. If you have one you really like the style of, your brain might even trick you into thinking it's more precise than the one you can't stand looking at or holding. Laughing
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

It would be interesting to compare the Bug-Tech version with the CRC version.

I have been tempted in the past to buy the CRC shifter, but they never answer my emails...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Evanfrucht I an not saying you are wrong when you said

"I feel like the people who use a Berg shifter already think everything from Berg is the best no matter what, hence that's why it seems like the one to compare too Rolling Eyes It's also been around for longer".

The point is up to the date we found the Berg and bought it. We were happy due to the fact it was so much better then what was available to that point..

Happy enough not to try something that may is as good or a bit better then the Berg, due the fact the other contenders are so expensive and no one is offering a test drive.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

71ghiavert wrote:
I had a Berg locking shifter for years and loved it. But in my new Ghia--two years now--I got a rattle at certain RPM. Began to drive me a little nuts, so ordered a VS shifter. I ordered the one with the Porsche bushing, and the rattle went away. VERY happy about that part.

FYI, I wondered about just getting a Porsche bushing and putting it on. Ordered one from Pelican Parts--I think it was $6, probably the cheapest Porsche part one can buy--but IT DOES NOT FIT VW SHIFTERS. The ball on any shifter made to fit the VW shifter-rod cup will be too big for the bushing. The ball on the Porsche bushing is smaller, so there's room in the Porsche shifting rod cup for the ball and the bushing. Perfect, snug fit.

I even took my Berg shifter to a machinist, hoping to have the ball machined down. No luck. Two guys told me it was hardened steel and they couldn't do it. One suggested I might have luck going at it with a grinder. I figured my chances of grinding out a good, usable ball end without ruining the shifter were very, very slight.

So I gave up and ordered the VW. Not cheap, but really well made. Shifts perfectly, easy install, looks great, no rattle. Hate to have lost the locking function of the Berg, but the new shifter is otherwise terrific.

My Berg shifter does not fit tight in the shift rod either. There is some slight play which may lead to the rattle. I have tried everything from thick grease to platidip to shrink tubing and even some 2 part epoxy smoothed onto the ball to take up the slack, but all wear out over time.

When I view my stock shifter there is a spring loaded pin on it that takes up the slack.

The Porsche sleeve, part number 91142413901, will that not fit the round ball at the end of the shifter?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

By crc are you guys referring to https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html ?
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

I stated this before, but I repeat the B-T is the best shifter I've used in a Beetle. That is MY opinion only. I also thought my Berg Ball knob shiter was awesome...and I know a few people who think they're very overrated. I used stock, modified stock, a couple different types of EMPI shifter, real restored Hurst, Berg and Bug-Tech. Oh, and B-T with a weighted knob.

No stock shifters feel good to me. Too vague. The Hurst felt exactly the same as the EMPI copy(please, no offense intended to the Hurst guys). The Berg was slow, but precise. Full disclosure, the B-T was notchy, but quite acceptable until I replaced the stock teardrop knob with a heavy weighted ball knob. Then it became a dream.

I wasn't really looking for a weighted knob when I bought it. I just wanted a ball. It was meant for JDM applications, and I had to retap the threads in the knob for the shifter(both are 12mm but the shifter is 1.25 and the knob was 1.50...or vise versa). The knob was far heavier than I expected, but what a pleasure it was once installed.

There are a few out there I haven't tried, like the VS, CRC, the Wolfpack B-T copy, and the CSP. All are potentially great but I don't see a reason to change. If I were wanting a stock looking shifter, I'd probably go for the VS. Their stuff is well made.

Couple things to note, for my situation. One, I totally agree the B-T is very expensive. Fortunately for me, it was more or less free in a round about way. That said, the Berg was more expensive since I opted for the ball knob, however, it looks fantastic IMO. The B-T has a boy-racer look to it I don't care for, but looks are totally secondary to function IMO so I can live with it. I may try to come up with a leather like gater for it eventually just to cover to mechanical parts. Also, finally, I worry sometimes when I recommend the B-T because I believe shifter feel is toally subjective, and what I like may be horrible to others. I was recently PMd by another member asking if I still held the same opinion of the B-T, and obviously I do. I think he will buy one based upon my opinion, and I just hope he likes it as much as I do.

H20SB
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Yes

Dauz wrote:
By crc are you guys referring to https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/crc-ss-shifters.html ?
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

empi shifters SUCK period.i have one sitting brand new need it pay ship and its yours total Chinese JUNK.

Vintage speed is superior period.in all avenues including price.U pay for what you get.what you think a 59 dollar shifter is the same just as GOOD as a vintage.Put the pipe down and wake up.
Berg SHIFTERS ALSO SUCK had two and sold them and were bought quick
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong. The Berg shifters are awesome. That's what I'd be using if my VW was only street driven.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Convince me: Vintage Speed classic vs Empi shifter for 59 Reply with quote

i have had Berg shifters since the 90s. hated the T handle. and i was using the 12" which wasnt suitable for my height and build.

i tried the ball berg , but the ball size was too big for my hand to grip. prefer the ball size on the Hurst which is about 50mm.

i never liked the early versions of the VS because it was still the push down to reverse.

when VS came out with the Subaru style pull up reverse, i ordered the 14" and told them to make a 50mm ball for me.

for street driving, i like them better than Berg.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also got one for my Berg 5

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: