Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glassing on a Manx Dash
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

I would agree that it was the way the Manx was designed.

I would also agree that it is much easier with a separate dash and hood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

dhubz wrote:
What is the reason for this? Not taking away from it, I think it looks great, much cleaner than what I have. On the 2 that I have worked on, the dash panel is separate, meaning once I remove the windshield and hood, I can access all the wiring from the top. Also the steering column can stay in place. Do you have multi wire connectors to disconnect the dash from the wire harness? I feel like it would be a lot harder to work on with it as a single piece.

I dont know why, but at some point the plastic dash that was made to screw into the hood, and made the hood separately removable was replaced by this fiberglass version. I got the drop-down version of the dash to help with wire access (in theory) but I do agree with it being way simpler to access things if I could just take the hood off. If i were better at this sort of thing, I was actually thinking about trying to mount a piece of steel along the inside edge of the dash, and making the hood removable, but, that is a bit (WAY) beyond my skill level here.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

I spoke to Bruce about this and it was definitely a problem. (access to wiring, tank and steering) That is why he made his new Kick-Outs and his Manxters with an opening hood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

additionally, I will say that i am surprised at how poorly my new dash frame will fit in the hood & dash. It's to the degree that I may have to have it cut apart and trimmed and re-welded.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

j1msm1th wrote:
I dont know why, but at some point the plastic dash that was made to screw into the hood, and made the hood separately removable was replaced by this fiberglass version. I got the drop-down version of the dash to help with wire access (in theory) but I do agree with it being way simpler to access things if I could just take the hood off. If i were better at this sort of thing, I was actually thinking about trying to mount a piece of steel along the inside edge of the dash, and making the hood removable, but, that is a bit (WAY) beyond my skill level here.

If you have the drop down dash, it is much, much easier to just remove 5 screws and pass the metal instrument panel (with all switches, instruments and wiring in place) back through the hole in the center of the dash and then remove the hood, dash and windshield as a unit, leaving the instrument panel in place.

To do the same with the old ABS plastic dash would have required removal first of the windshield, then removal of 12 small difficult to reach nuts and screws, then removal of the highly fragile ABS dash from the frame

I agree the steering column support-windshield support frame should fit better. You should provide your feedback directly to Meyers Manx
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Although my buggy is not a Manx......When I picked it up in a field in 2002 it had the dash cut off from the hood.
It was a puzzle as to how to make it fit back on and over the years I have come up with a solution and made the dash solidly permanent with some bent flat 16-18 gauge steel and another piece of angle for the hood to rest and bolt to the dash.
I can remove the hood in about 30 seconds by removing two bolts and then lifting the hood off for complete access to all my wiring and my fuel tank.

I have EFI and a LOT of wiring plus I am an old goat and there is no way I would want to crawl under the dash to work on it.

some pics........maybe you can use the ideas and make it work for a Manx. I'll be at Big Bear if anyone wants to see it up close. I'll even pull the hood off for ya if you want.....

How I got the Buggy and hood......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The two bolts that hold it on now.....

The dash braces I made to really firm up the dash and make it solid....

The angle steel that the hood rests on and bolts to....

The wiring I need to access easily......

The added braces i put in and it all installed supporting the dash.....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Although my buggy is not a Manx......When I picked it up in a field in 2002 it had the dash cut off from the hood.
It was a puzzle as to how to make it fit back on and over the years I have come up with a solution and made the dash solidly permanent with some bent flat 16-18 gauge steel and another piece of angle for the hood to rest and bolt to the dash.
I can remove the hood in about 30 seconds by removing two bolts and then lifting the hood off for complete access to all my wiring and my fuel tank.

I have EFI and a LOT of wiring plus I am an old goat and there is no way I would want to crawl under the dash to work on it.

some pics........maybe you can use the ideas and make it work for a Manx. I'll be at Big Bear if anyone wants to see it up close. I'll even pull the hood off for ya if you want.....

thats awesome, but also looks waaaaaay out of my level of know how...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

[snip]

[snip]

Wow, you've got more wiring in that buggy than mine did when it was the electric beach buggy! Now I've got a 2 fuse 12 volt wiring harness. Laughing
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
clonebug wrote:

[snip]

[snip]

Wow, you've got more wiring in that buggy than mine did when it was the electric beach buggy! Now I've got a 2 fuse 12 volt wiring harness. Laughing

It has a few options....... Wink Cool

Someday I'll clean it up better since it's been added on to for the last 10 years.
But it all works and I can get to it easily.........

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

j1msm1th wrote:
clonebug wrote:

thats awesome, but also looks waaaaaay out of my level of know how...

I bought a little 6 inch vice brake and while it does have it's limitations it will bend a lot of thinner gauge steel. I use it quite often.

All you have to do is sit and stare at it for a few nights and sip on some good beer while doing so.......you will come up with a solution. And if it isn't quite what you want......use it till you come up with a better solution.

I just can't imagine having to work under a Manx hood. I'd probably give up and sell it...... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I had to come up with a solution because the hood was already cut. It took a lot of years to get the windshield as solid as it is now with the bracing I added.
I started out with just one metal brace cuz the other side was fiber-glassed to the body. I ran it that way since 2004.
I just installed the second side and added the flat 1 inch pieces to really firm it up now.
It used to flex back almost a 1/2 inch at speeds of 75 mph plus....especially in heavy head winds.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

hmmm... how much good beer? because last time I tried that I got drunk and decided to start building a deck. then i got to spend the next several weekends fixing what I started building....

I have been trying various ways to get the hood and dash to play together nicely, but I think that my hood has a slight twist to it.

I did finally get it together ok today. I got some random flat bracket i had sitting in the garage, cut it in half, then used washers and machine screws to attach it to the hood, and from there I was able to hang the dash off the new metal tabs nicely. you can see what I mean with the twist in some of the pics. trying to get everything even-ish, I measured to the center of the hood and the dash, then 6" in on each side of both. then on the outside of the hood and dash I measured to the bend, marked 7" because that seemed to be about the right spot, then marked 3 1/2". I could get a lot of it lined up pretty nicely, but that one side is off by about 1/4-1/2 a inch...

and if you are wondering about the bungie cords, please note where when i was trying to use the Harbor Freight welding clamps, one popped off and now i have a big chip in my new dash.
j1msm1th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

surfnc wrote:
j1msm1th
If your body is gelcoat (which it looks to be) I use a DA with 120 or 80 grit. I then use a heavy coat of high build polyester primer. This will fill the pin holes scratches etc. I then sand that with 120 and a DA. (I hand sand the edges, DA the flats) I then shoot another coat to make sure all fiberglass is covered. Then guide coat and block sand with 320 or 400 grit. If you are going to flake it you can stop here. If you are going to use a solid color I would prime it with a primer that is compatible with the top coat. The poly will most likely be compatible but you need to make sure

Hey - I just wanted to say that I finally got around to starting to glass in the dash, and while I am not 100% sure I am doing a bang up job of it, I did want to say thinks again to you and the others in here that post these threads and offer advice and such.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Glassing on a Manx Dash Reply with quote

Glad that it helped you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: