Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any economical paint shop recommendations in the LA area?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Any economical paint shop recommendations in the LA area? Reply with quote

I found a very well reviewed Maaco in Torrance that (before lockdown) quoted me $2,400 to paint my Vanagon and fix a couple of small-ish dents. Was pretty excited about this as every other place I've talked to wanted $10k+. Maaco even offered a guarantee (I believe of several years).

I finally got back to the shop today over a year later. Unfortunately the previous quote had expired. The guy seemed to think more about what would be involved, at first giving me an updated quote of $3,800, which I was still halfway willing to swallow, then seemed to think more about the work involved and decided it wouldn't be worth it to him to take it on at all, and regrettably turned me away Sad

Was so excited to get back to the shop post lockdown, and finally get this done.

$3k would be the absolute max I'd want to spend partly because I'm planning to sell the Vanagon soon, and just don't want to sell it with any body damage. It's in pretty great shape overall, and just want to make her look extra beautiful for her next owner.

Anyone got any other referrals in the LA area (or within say 100 miles) where I might be able to get an acceptable and affordable paint job done?

Thanks in advance!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Any economical paint shop recommendations in the LA area? Reply with quote

Elliott wrote:
I found a very well reviewed Maaco in Torrance that (before lockdown) quoted me $2,400 to paint my Vanagon and fix a couple of small-ish dents. Was pretty excited about this as every other place I've talked to wanted $10k+. Maaco even offered a guarantee (I believe of several years).

I finally got back to the shop today over a year later. Unfortunately the previous quote had expired. The guy seemed to think more about what would be involved, at first giving me an updated quote of $3,800, which I was still halfway willing to swallow, then seemed to think more about the work involved and decided it wouldn't be worth it to him to take it on at all, and regrettably turned me away Sad

Was so excited to get back to the shop post lockdown, and finally get this done.

$3k would be the absolute max I'd want to spend partly because I'm planning to sell the Vanagon soon, and just don't want to sell it with any body damage. It's in pretty great shape overall, and just want to make her look extra beautiful for her next owner.

Anyone got any other referrals in the LA area (or within say 100 miles) where I might be able to get an acceptable and affordable paint job done?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck with that, I usually end up spending half that on materials alone.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: