Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS Rear bearing play
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

Hi, rocking the top and bottom of tyres on both sides shows a lot of play in the rear bearings with an audible clonk. This can also be heard going over pot holes.

I’ve replaced the bearings on one side with little/no improvement. Torque is correct applied with mr torque tool.

If it’s rocking up/down, then doesn’t this mean the outer, roller bearing is too large a diameter for the stub axle?

Any similar experience/solutions?
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

When I tighten my axle nut for the stub axle I also gently slosh the car. That way I remove all the play.

If the bearing fits the bearing shell, and the race fits snug between the stub shaft and the bearing, you should be okay. It is possible to assemble the bearing stack incorrectly as well as install with parts missing. When you say you replaced the bearings on one side, is that one bearing stack on one wheel, or just the outer bearing?

I've never used a Mr. Torque tool, just an impact wrench or breaker bar.

Sometimes if you have hard to find noises, it can be helpful to get under the car with a rubber mallet and gently bang around to find the rattle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

Other than the missing/incorrect parts scenario, I have also seen case where the spacer between the bearing inner races collapsed.That will lead to play, and rapid failure.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

I hope this is the right thread for my new-to-me '71 Ghia's IRS situation.

The left axle is noticeably thicker than the left axle (as in, larger diameter). I measure 29mm versus 25mm with a micrometer.

When I tug on the axles, the left one can be moved in and out about 1" while the right one is stable.

Did some PO replace the left axle with something from another car?

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

That is really odd.... and welcome to the forum
You should not be able to move the IRS stub axle in and out.
hopefully you can easily find some second hand parts to correctly build up you left axle. you will need axle, bearings, outer bearing cover, seals, spacers, big circlip, brake drum, nut etc
it might be easiest to find a complete trailing arm to rebuild.
I am not sure how experienced you are, but 2 suggestions, don't use chinese bearings, and see if you can get someone to spin the stub axle between centres on a lathe to check that is is straight.
I put one together and had a nasty wheel wobble, I thought it was the drum but it was the axle Sad
Car32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Rear bearing play Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Ian.

I wish I'd noticed the free play when I installed the rear discs on the car. Looks like I'll be taking that side apart again.

1971 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: