Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirstycactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

Good day. I'm looking at buying an 82 Vanagon Bus with a sunroof. 2.0l air cooled engine. I have no experience or mechanical ability (although i know it can be learned) and I live in a small northern town with very limited resources. The winters are bad and I have no garage so I'd have to keep it covered. Am I doomed or destined for adventure? Body looks to be in great shape, very little rust as it's come from California. Any advice is welcome.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

Welcome! The air-cooled vans are pretty fun...with the caveat that the whole vehicle is forty years old and unless someone has loved it, it likely needs everything. If you're not scared to learn, they're a super fun vehicle - if you get frustrated easily and/or have to pay someone to work on them (IF you can even find someone competent willing to touch it), be aware that they can be a real black-hole money pit!

Overall tho, if you buy it, I'd say you're doomed for adventure!!! ;p

The sunroof bus, btw, can be made into a faux Westfalia pretty easily...if you really wanted a mechanical adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool project. Please share photos if possible. What is the vehicle’s service history?
thirstycactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

Not sure the history. The ad says "Fully serviced and ready to go. Brand new twin weber style carbs." Body looks to be in good shape. License plate is from California and now in Canada. Not a lot of vans come up for sale around here. Can't see it in person which is troublesome but I wouldn't really know what I'd be looking for anyway lol

Thanks for the replies.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

'Can't see it in person'?? That would raise HUGE red flags for me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thirstycactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

No I can but it's a ten hour drive for me. I live in a small northern town 8 hours away from the nearest city.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

thirstycactus wrote:
The winters are bad and I have no garage so I'd have to keep it covered. ....

Not sure the history. ..... License plate is from California and now in Canada.

Make sure it has been, and can be, registered in your province. In BC, imported vehicles have to pass an inspection before they can be insured.

I think the sunroof is very cool. But, search here for info on typical failure points in the sunroof and if replacement parts for it are available or can be made, printed, kludged. LOL.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

If you are careful winding it in and out and never try to close it on foreign material, the
Golde sunroof can be almost trouble free.
Tehy are not made to be waterproof by the seals, instead the water is caught by a tray which drains to the underside of the Vanagon thru 4 tubes. These tubes can get plugged, especially by spruce or pine needles.
The sunroof is huge and makes the car a joy in the summertime at lower speeds. At highway speeds you will want it nearly closed.
I lived with one for 20 years.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
thirstycactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

Is it easy to unplugg those channels?
Anyone have any tips for installing a car seat for my toddler? I have a sneaky suspicion there are no anchors. Lol That wasn't even a consideration back then.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice! 82 Vanagon Bus Sunroof Reply with quote

I just used air hose with extension. I suppose one COULD pressurize so much the plastic hoses come off the metal nipples at each end. So, I was not real agressive with air pressure.
If the drain hose plug, you will get the most alarming cold shower on the back of your neck first time you stop. a couple pints of water will pool in there.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: