Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2006 EJ25 Compression readings
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bartlett914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: 2006 EJ25 Compression readings Reply with quote

I have an EJ25 in a vanagon. I recently purchased this Camper as not running. If I can get it started, it runs on a couple cylinders very rough It smokes and dumps raw fuel out the exhaust. I need to pull the motor to be sure the timing belt is correct because the front cover hits the motor mount. From what I can see, it is correct. I did a compression check. One side of the motor has about 120 PSI. The other is 190 to 215. I am not sure what it should be. I thought it should be around 150. Can someone offer any suggestions? What numbers are considered normal? I do plan on dropping the motor and pulling the heads.

Mark
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 EJ25 Compression readings Reply with quote

Drop the motor, pull the heads, pull the pistons and look at the rings/cylinders. Let us know what you see.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 EJ25 Compression readings Reply with quote

Bartlett914 wrote:
I have an EJ25 in a vanagon. I recently purchased this Camper as not running. If I can get it started, it runs on a couple cylinders very rough It smokes and dumps raw fuel out the exhaust.

Can someone offer any suggestions? What numbers are considered normal? I do plan on dropping the motor and pulling the heads.

Mark

why don't we start with the basics before we go batshit crazy?

your low compression is due to fuel washed cylinders most likely. why don't we start with the over fueling issue first.

are you sure your coil didn't die?

i mean, lets make a diagnostic strategy before we go doing stuff that may not be needed.

you could have a bad injector, coil, spark plug etc.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: