Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Fuchs and center cap issue.
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
petey wheatstraw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

Well, I posted this on the Samba FB page as well and was hoping someone may know of any further options. I do not want to use the butt ugly pig nose center caps that stick out.i also would like to stay away from spacers if at all possible. I am running a 4" narrowed beam to try to tuck the wheels as much as possible to begin with. The problem is...

As you can see, I have a problem. I am using brand new Italian brake drums, on brand new CB performance drop spindles. I went to install my Empi Faux Fuchs and blammo; the grease cap wont let the center cap fit on the wheel. I would say it's about 3/8" give or take. The new grease cap I originally was gonna use stuck out even farther. I tried the old ones and still too far.

I know I had seen on here before where some other folks had the same problem, but the search function turned up little.

The worst part is, Empi's OWN catalog said you would need the extended center caps...ONLY IF you were running these wheels on the rear of a 70 or earlier BUS. My car is a 63 Type 1. So what the hell?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

Just clean it up and paint it black
austin haro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

Spacers, or change to discs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

The recommendation is with their caps. The axle will stick out further than their caps will allow. The offset is different in the cap area than the 5x130 ones. Paint black or use spacers if you want the flat caps.
Wendell Harvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

I have the same issue with Fuch wheels and the center cap wont go on all the way. I did use spacers and their 3/8" thick and that helped but still cant fix my problem. I even cut down the bearing grease cap and bought me more clearance and I don't dare cut anymore or the grease cap will fall off. Nothing works. If I could find a bearing spacer 1/4" thick for the front axle then it would work.
Problem is, I cant find any such animal. I'm not happy with jury rigging all this crap just to make Fuch wheels and center caps work.. Im fed up.
Forgot to mention, I to was told that if I did disc brakes the problem would be solved. So I now have Empi disc brakes and with all the cutting and changing I did, once the speedo cable is stuck thru the grease cap the Fuch center cap still doesn't go all the way. Damn
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D10%2D1107

I had to use these.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wendell Harvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

I just finished all of you guys problems. It all sounded exactly what I went thru word for word. So, after buying 3/8” spacers, disc brakes, I was getting close but no cigar. I removed the speedo grease cap. The inner part of that cap has slits on it. I cut that much off the cap so it would still go on and be tight enough to stay on. Darn the speedo cable with cotter pin installed held the cap from going on by about an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch. As I stood there looking at the Fuch center cap I pondered what that white sticker was inside the cap and I pulled it off. Eureka I just found the problem. There in the center of the cap was a rivit plus three others. It stuck out far enough to keep my cap from securely snapping on so I carefully cut it off. The cap snapped on and the wheel turned freely. 5 months of frustration DONE.
Wendell Harvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I pounded that center cap until it was close to the spindle and that brought me closer. I think if I hadn’t done that earlier, I would still be scratching my head. It all works very well so don’t be afraid to do what I did. Good luck
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Fuchs and center cap issue. Reply with quote

Wendell Harvey wrote:
I just finished all of you guys problems. It all sounded exactly what I went thru word for word. So, after buying 3/8” spacers, disc brakes, I was getting close but no cigar. I removed the speedo grease cap. The inner part of that cap has slits on it. I cut that much off the cap so it would still go on and be tight enough to stay on. Darn the speedo cable with cotter pin installed held the cap from going on by about an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch. As I stood there looking at the Fuch center cap I pondered what that white sticker was inside the cap and I pulled it off. Eureka I just found the problem. There in the center of the cap was a rivit plus three others. It stuck out far enough to keep my cap from securely snapping on so I carefully cut it off. The cap snapped on and the wheel turned freely. 5 months of frustration DONE.

Reviving an old thread, but can you share pics of this? Thanks
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: