Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkirker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

hi.

i have a 72 Vw Fastback and the trunk cable has broke. The lever for the trunk release is in the drivers door jamb.

Has anyone had to replace their cable and how did you do it?

Any help is appreciated.

Michael in Imperial Beach, CA
mkirker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I just talked to ISP West. I have to remove the drivers side rear fender to access the cable tunnel to the trunk.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Michael in Imperial Beach, CA
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

I keep the frunk and rear trunk latches clean and lubed for this reason!
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

Not sure if the 72 is different but before you go about removing the rear left fender, read what Bob Notch posted some time back on broken cable. The cable is accessed via the inside trim panel on the left side, not by removing the rear left fender.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632547
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

as a note...the VERY best lube for the front and rear trunk cables is ATF. It does not dry out. It does not absorb moisture. It will last for 30 years. It does not harm the plastic sheath.

Take and old mustard bottle and cut the hole in the tip just large enough to seal around the plastic sheath tightly. Fill the bottle about 75% with ATF. Stuff one end of the cable into the bottle...feed the sheath through the hole in the cap and screw the cap on.

Tip the bottle and squeeze slowly until fluid just bubble out the top in. Wrap the lower end in a rag and let it drain. Work the cable. Keep the rag on the end for a couple of days. When all the extraneous ATF drips out this will be lubed for life. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
as a note...the VERY best lube for the front and rear trunk cables is ATF. It does not dry out. It does not absorb moisture. It will last for 30 years. It does not harm the plastic sheath. Ray

Only problem with that Ray is the Notch and Fastback rear cable tubes are steel tubing, and sometimes the "cable" is a single strand of steel wire (like heater control cables). When I replaced the trunk lid cable on my wife's 70 Fastback, I used some .035 stainless steel MIG welding wire. That was back in 1990 when I had the car repainted (note; it wasn't broken at the time either). I did the same thing on my 65 Notch on 1999 when I was rebuilding it.

Just something to think about, the rear latch assemblies of the 2 cars are different, in that a Fastback has a boxed in style lower latch (sits above the cooling boot air inlet), while a Notch uses a lower latch assembly that drops into the cooling boot air stream.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mkirker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Update: You do NOT need to remove the drivers side rear fender.

You do need to remove the back seat to get to the rear drivers side door panel.

Once you remove the door panel, there will be a square cutout.

You can then see your trunk release lever and cable tube.

Slide the cable up and out of the cable holder, pull it toward you until the old cable is out, then simply replace with your new cable and feed it in the cable tube back to the trunk release, adjust your cable and tighten the holding screw.

Hope this helps someone.

Michael
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

That's why DHanna suggested looking thru the link he found, as you don't need to pull the left rear fender off, just the left rear door card to access the cable and lever combo thru the access opening VW provided.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Vw Fastback broken trunk cable Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
as a note...the VERY best lube for the front and rear trunk cables is ATF. It does not dry out. It does not absorb moisture. It will last for 30 years. It does not harm the plastic sheath. Ray

Only problem with that Ray is the Notch and Fastback rear cable tubes are steel tubing, and sometimes the "cable" is a single strand of steel wire (like heater control cables). When I replaced the trunk lid cable on my wife's 70 Fastback, I used some .035 stainless steel MIG welding wire. That was back in 1990 when I had the car repainted (note; it wasn't broken at the time either). I did the same thing on my 65 Notch on 1999 when I was rebuilding it.

Just something to think about, the rear latch assemblies of the 2 cars are different, in that a Fastback has a boxed in style lower latch (sits above the cooling boot air inlet), while a Notch uses a lower latch assembly that drops into the cooling boot air stream.

Still works. Just a little harder to spread oil. But especially the single wire cables. Same treatment for heater cables. Grease...gets displaced in cold weather insixe or the tube. It will never get warm enough to flow back. And....virtually all greases are hygroscopic....absorb water and start to oxidize.

I quit using grease on cablea 20 years ago. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: