Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 bug to do
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Here it is a solid old ride. https://www.gofundme.com/f/donated-1966-vw-beetle-restoration
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here it is a solid old ride. https://www.gofundme.com/f/donated-1966-vw-beetle-restoration

If you wanna donate your time to restore someone else’s project, that’s on you. I’m appalled that you think we should contribute to it too.

If you’re getting paid to do this work, then you’re a real asshole for expecting, or even asking the rest of the forum members to donate to someone else’s project.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

If you wanna donate your time to restore someone else’s project, that’s on you. I’m appalled that you think we should contribute to it too.

If you’re getting paid to do this work, then you’re a real asshole for expecting, or even asking the rest of the forum members to donate to someone else’s project.

This was sent out to show the endeavor is reputable and honest. The museum is non profit. Thousands of people from all over the world travel Route 66 every year enjoying the many things to see and do along the way. The car is generating a positive buzz here, yours would be the first negative feedback we’ve received.

My time parts and labor are all free and I’m retired so it has been fun to get together with the other retired men I’ve known for decades to bring this car back to life, I’ve driven it already 😀 it sat idle since 1988.

I’ll be sure to keep you posted on how this all turns out. I won’t be able to procrastinate on this one😀 you are right in being skeptical which is why everyone should do their due diligence and check the story and the background, this one passes the smell test.

Last time I looked they had raised 1000 dollars with Your’s truly making a donation. That would buy the paint and materials to do the body work. The labor for paint and body is coming from local vocational technical college here, that’s free too.

When it’s all over many folks can say they helped by giving of their time and spare parts or donations. Whatever is left will go right back into the museum, again it’s non profit.

Again a thank you to www.Bughaus.com they have been generous with parts. It’s amazing what many hands can accomplish when they take on a project.

How shocked are you really when this very website samba asks for donations and we are asked to support cancer research every year. Both of those asks are reputable in my opinion as well😀 try to get all the facts before slinging shit, you might just be surprised.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

There again, if you want to donate YOUR time & money, that’s on you. Just because a museum or any other entity is a “non profit” doesn’t mean that someone isn’t making money & they sure as hell shouldn’t be asking this community (through you) to fund their project. Hell, that tax exemption they enjoy should cover the costs of restoring it. Rolling Eyes

I haven’t “thrown shit” or questioned the integrity of the project, but now that you mention it, if it is for a “nonprofit”, then why is it set up through a gofundme?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

You have the choice to donate or not, but calling someone an asshole is out of line. A bunch of retired guys restoring a old bug for a museum is badass in my book.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
You have the choice to donate or not, but calling someone an asshole is out of line. Relax life is too short.

That was only if he was making money off the job while asking for donations for it, that is an asshole thing to do. Besides, with all the sideways insults ZF constantly throws my way, he can get the fuck over it.

56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:
You have the choice to donate or not, but calling someone an asshole is out of line. Relax life is too short.

That was only if he was making money off the job while asking for donations for it, that is an asshole thing to do. Besides, with all the sideways insults ZF constantly throws my way, he can get the fuck over it.

Haha didn't know you guys had a history...carry on Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Watch this space I’ll keep you up to date on how the car progresses. No hard feelings sorry if I’ve somehow wronged you in the past. Here’s a little more back story. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754676
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

I'd say the place looks to be pretty legitimate----especially seeing Hemmings is using it as a "GREAT RACE" stop.
https://www.heartofroute66.org/
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

To lighten things up……
My business has been non profit a few times if anyone wants to donate LOL
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Hey I donated a tail light lense to that car! 😅 Hope you found the screws for it?

But keep on what your doing, ignore the asshats and was good meeting you in Catoosa!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
Hey I donated a tail light lense to that car! 😅 Hope you found the screws for it?

But keep on what your doing, ignore the asshats and was good meeting you in Catoosa!

I am sure that your tail light is going to compliment the pair of hubcaps that I donated. Very Happy
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Pez wrote:

I am sure that your tail light is going to compliment the pair of hubcaps that I donated. Very Happy

Nice!! Where you at the show also?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Pez wrote:

Nice!! Where you at the show also?

No. I met Jim and his wife at the show in Eureka Springs a couple of years ago.
I mailed the hub caps to Jim a few days ago after reading about this project.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Hey it’s been awhile but I got an update on the blue bug. It’s been repainted by a guy that donated his time while the museum supplied the materials. Someone else also donated a set of nice old chrome wheels and new tires. So it goes, looks like procrastination to me, I wouldn’t know.

Because donations were short the painter suggested cutting the window seals back to allow paint to reach further up. Then we removed the windows and installed new seals and you can’t see a paint line. It looks ok to me😀 the headliner is serviceable but seats and carpet, door panels getting changed.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Beautiful car, great idea and a worthy cause in my view. If there was a similar project in my part of the world, I would be right in there helping in any way I could!

So nice to see and hear of unselfish people bettering the world around them!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

I think it’s nearly done because it’s going inside a building as part of a larger display. Doesn’t have to be concurs restoration maybe a 10 footer will do. I’m glad to see they are back on it.😀
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Car museums, where machines meant for utility go to die. Don't get me wrong the community aspect is wonderful, but why not give it to an 18 kid from a poor family and let him DRIVE IT. In todays world you can visit all the museums virtually. Machines are designed and meant for service.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

It’s just one of many Beetles. Being in a museum is cool , too. In a county of one million I see about 3 AC VWs on the road in my area, and a Bug with an 18 year old will last about 6 months, unless it’s a cool kid up in Michigan
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bug to do Reply with quote

Good point Abscate.
The bug looks great even though I would have preferred patina.
Keep up the good work. Applause Applause Applause

Abscate wrote:
It’s just one of many Beetles. Being in a museum is cool , too. In a county of one million I see about 3 AC VWs on the road in my area, and a Bug with an 18 year old will last about 6 months, unless it’s a cool kid up in Michigan

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: