Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sad with a car that won't start ** Update **
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

Sad Sad
Brick wall

I've got a 74 KG Convertible in great shape. Had it on the road 2 days ago with no issues. This morning I turn the key, she starts and sputters a little then stalls about 5 seconds later. No biggie - its probably just cold - and I turn the key again....Nothing, just a faint click. So, I did the following:

Battery - tests fine, all the lights work
Wiring connectors in engine area - checked and re-seated
Fuses - all good; even found an in-line fuse burnt out and replace it. No change
Starter - smacked it with a hammer a few times
Starter stuck?- Put it in 3rd and pushed it backwards 3 yards (read that in a book).

After all that... no change. Turn key and faint click.

I'm pretty sure its not an electrical issue. I fear a blown starter which means a tow to a local air-cooled mechanic (that I've yet to find).

Any bright ideas from this charming hive-mind?
Pic of the engine in case you see something. NB - I've swapped the fuel filter and replaced the fuel hoses since this pic. Car worked great for 10 days after this work was done.

THANKS KG FAMILY !!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ghiamanjc on Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

Clean the battery posts and clamps. Also pull repair clamp on positive cable apart and clean (for now, replace with a correct cable as soon as possible).
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

The ignition switch could be at fault. The wire to the solenoid could also be at fault, in particular where it connects to the solenoid. This is the thin wire on the solenoid. Also worth checking is the heavy current cable from the battery. Check that its not corroded at that starter motor end. Perhaps tighten the nut holding it on with improve the electrical connection down there.

How good is the battery, really? How about double jumping a second battery and see if it will crank with more current. You do have jumper leads and access to another car I hope

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

How many volts at the battery? How many at the starter?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

Have the battery tested. Take it to any part store. That’s the easiest thing to rule out.
Next is the starter. Jack it up on the passenger side, make sure it’s in neutral. Crawl under with an insulated flat blade screwdriver and jump the post from the big battery cable to the terminal on the solenoid. If the starter works like it should then you’ve at least isolated that as a problem.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

ghiamanjc wrote:

Just because the lights turn on, doesn't mean the battery is fine. Incandescent bulbs will work well below 12V, they just get dimmer the lower the voltage.
You could easily have enough juice in your battery to turn your lights on, and nowhere near enough to work the starter.
Check your battery voltage with a digital multimeter. A healthy battery should be between ~ 12.7-13.3V at rest. If it's below 12.5V, it's on its way out.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

Could be as simple as a battery terminal.
Just happened to me the other weekend.
Car started just fine. We headed north and stopped for gas about an hour later. Went to start it and…small click, then nothing. Someone had some jumper cables and just the pressure of the cable clamp on the negative terminal was enough to spring it back to life.
So we went to a restaurant, had lunch and the same thing happened again. Went to a service station next door and borrowed a pair of pliers to squeeze on the negative terminal and the car started right up.
Replaced that terminal and no problems since.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start Reply with quote

ghiamanjc wrote:

Nope, this is not how you test the battery.

Take your voltmeter (if you don't have one, buy one) and put it across the battery terminals. If the battery is fully charged, it will read 12.6v.

If it's less than that, charge it.

If it reads 12.6v, then leave your voltmeter connected and put it somewhere you can see it when you turn the key. Turn the key to start and report back the reading on the voltmeter.

But of course the easiest thing is to first make sure both battery terminal clamps are clean and tight.
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.... I got it fixed and here's how.

- Cleaned and re-seated the battery connections - no change
- Gave the Starter motor a review - firmly attached, no visible problems
- Confirmed with volt-meter that battery is putting out 12.5+ V and Starter motor is receiving 12.5V

Now what....Started the car with my buddy underneath giving the starter motor a good few smacks with a hammer. It came to life !!

Thanks to my buddy Rich for the idea and Carl for flawless execution.

Putting a new starter on the To Do list so it doesn't happen again. I think the one that is there now is the original.

Thanks to y'all for your interest and suggestions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

I had the same issue with my 71.
I installed a cheap $60 starter from NAPA to keep it on the road and then got the original rebuilt and put it back in, keeping the NAPA one as a spare.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

Replace the positive cable when you do the starter. That quick repair cable end will haunt you with starting issues if yo don't. My Micro had one on it when I bought the bus, had to take it apart and wire brush the corrosion out of it at least once a year. New cable no longer a problem
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

@teeroy - Thanks for the tip. Does that cable go directly from the + Terminal to starter? If so, I agree with you - simple job that lasts another 20 yrs.

I'm puzzled by that Red wire that joins into the quick repair cable joint. I don't know what its too and the connection looks dodgy. Any suggestions on what that is? I can PM you a close-up picture if helpful.
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad with a car that won't start ** Update ** Reply with quote

Check the connections in the front trunk, next to the clock/speedometer/fusebox. In my 73 Ghia there is a connector that could get loose and the starter won't engage. If I remember correctly there is a wire from the ignition switch that activates the starter solenoid.

I was on a road trip once and bags in the front trunk got that connection loose enough to be intermittent. I ended up replacing the starter on a side of the road for no reason... then found the culprit.

Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: