Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

You say no welding needs to be done on the 23 Window bus, you really should put the correct bulkhead back in the bus. That homemade flat steel bulkhead doesn't belong in there.

jacobcallaghan wrote:
Update today.

Ps rest assured no welding needs done on the 23 window.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
You say no welding needs to be done on the 23 Window bus, you really should put the correct bulkhead back in the bus. That homemade flat steel bulkhead doesn't belong in there.

Although I agree. I think I plan to leave it. This is more of a practical build than full resto. The bulk head is solid. And with the camper interior and everything inside you won’t even see it. For my purposes I think she will stay hacked.
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

nice projects!
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

Updates here.

Some more metal is on. Rear quarter panel. Door bottom. Engine apron shelf. And cargo hinges.

The work and welding is ok. A little bummed on my ability with metal haha. But practice makes perfect. Luckily it’s all just cosmetic stuff. Thank goodness my frame is solid!!

Also purists run from this statement fast!!!! There was some holes in the rear of the roof. Definitely needs a new rear section of the roof. Was going to dive in... but then thought about my intentions for this bus. This will be a daily driver of roader and camper. It does not need to be perfect. And since the rear roof is fucked any way. Why not try to fiberglass? So I bought some glass matt and epoxy resin and slapped it on there. Then used some fiberglass body filler and few more lines of defense. Seems solid and water tight... for now. I figure worst case senario I need a new roof. Already at that stage. Best case my hacked fix works for years.

Lastly inspired by the red and cream pressed bumper on the site.... I painted my own stripe. There is a lot of dove blue kombis wanted a bit of personality.

Anyways thanks for reading. Should have the brakes coming in soon and an engine ready to go. Hopefully driving and ripping end of august.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Although I agree. I think I plan to leave it. This is more of a practical build than full resto. The bulk head is solid. And with the camper interior and everything inside you won’t even see it. For my purposes I think she will stay hacked.

I'm not understanding why both need to be campers. Who needs more than one? I'm all aboard the Kombi train, but Deluxes are so precious these days; a practical build doesn't seem ... practical.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

Update! Interior is coming along. With wood prices and my love of repurposing... I made the interior out of almost 100% reclaimed/recycled material. Even the wood stove I scored from a friend who no longer needed it in her van.

Hopefully breaks show up soon itching to get that going.

Also scored a cheap 40hp going to slap it in the bus and try it out. If it’s to slow may go for a 1600.

Thanks for all the help samba people
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

mmm... These are of course your buses, but it hurts me a bit to see how you treat them. A 1958 bus is a 60+ year old historic vehicle, not your average and common 20 year old Chevy van. I love a plain and original Dove blue combi with pressed bumpers, it doesn't really need the added paintwork to look good or cool. I think a more upscale treatment of the bodywork and the interior would be appropriatie and maybe leaving some things just like they are is sometimes way better than changing or repairing them, especially with a vehicle as original as this one. But hey, each to their own. Wink
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

I hear ya. And I am apologize for my disservice to the stock purists.

I have a love of busses and find them a big creative outlet. Especially the interior. I love stock don’t get me wrong. But I am torn between being creative and custom and being stock and pure.

Also I am new to a lot of this world. I am learning as I go. Although my body work and welds are far from perfect... I am learning and enjoying every step of the way.
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
I hear ya. And I am apologize for my disservice to the stock purists.

I have a love of busses and find them a big creative outlet. Especially the interior. I love stock don’t get me wrong. But I am torn between being creative and custom and being stock and pure.

Also I am new to a lot of this world. I am learning as I go. Although my body work and welds are far from perfect... I am learning and enjoying every step of the way.

You’re good man. Build the bus the way you want. The next owner will either love it or change it, you’re doing nothing that irreversible.
Nice builds.
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Kombi and 1961 Samba Build Reply with quote

Heyo samba!

Things are trucking along on the 58. I am now starting to think heavily about engine.

First off i have a 56 tranny with what i believe is stock gearing.

I have a 40hp laying around and am thinking of going with that. Good move? Or should i really go for a 1600sp? I have a 1600sp in my single cab and love it. But i have never driven a 40hp in bus.

Second question. Say I stay with the 40hp. What carb and distributor combo? I was thinking 30pict 1 and an sva? Not to knowledgeable on dizzys. I have only ran svdas and 009. Dont much care for the 009.

I remember coming across a thread that talked about engine dizzy carb combos. Can any one point me in this direction?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: