Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

I just built a pair of stands to hold the Jumpseats when they are out of the Van.

Cheap and simple, hard part is replicating the mounting pin holes. I removed a bracket from the Van to measure it accurately on the workbench.

The base is a 2x10 while the vertical component is 2x6 and 2x4.

Should have built these years ago...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncro surf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

Brilliant. I'll be making a set of those Very Happy
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

That`s a cool idea!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

A few more mods and they can be used as seats outside of the van as well! Nice idea.

-Rob
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

That is exactly what I was thinking too. I have one of those grey jumseats in mint condition that I removed all of the mounting hardware and seats belts from the nice donor. We even cut the floor sections out of the Vanagon that the jumpseat fit too. After almost a decade stored folded up in my basement I can't open it up and sit in it without making some sort of sturdy mount/frame. Doesn't look like it's ever gonna get mounted into my Westy. I should either sell it or figure out a mount so I can used it as a comfy chair in my basement workshop... That wooden "storage" stand is cool, has anyone ever make a stand/frame to actually use/sit in the jumpseat out of the Vanagon?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

Me 2. I have a GL tintop and salvaged a jump seat and installed the bracket and the floor divots. But I don't really use it and have often wondered how tough it would be to build a small foldable stand so it could be used outdoors at the campsite or in the garage. Lots of other projects, but I can't imagine this is any hill for a climber. A flat channel with the "divots in to accept the pins and a couple of swing out arms tor stability. Then a vertical component with a place for the pit to be received. The vertical could pivot in the center of the channel so all three pieces would fold to a straight line. You would need a braced gusset at the intersection of the of the channel to keep the vertical member from tipping forward.

Will give it some thought. A Saturday and some steel should do it. With all the gizmos i've developed over the years which require pegs, struts and whossis, there is getting to be enough of these support items that a storage box is needed to transport them in, so yet another swing out receiver hitch engineering fun project too.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

Nice. I just hang my one jumpseat from the rafters on a big hook. Out of the way till we need it.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

If memory serves me well, Rocky mtn Westy used to make an aluminum frame that would allow you to use your Carat/Multivan jump seats outside of the van.

I’d love to buy one right about now.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

Anybody have a pic of the RM outside base?
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Carat Jumpseat Storage Rack Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
If memory serves me well, Rocky mtn Westy used to make an aluminum frame that would allow you to use your Carat/Multivan jump seats outside of the van.

I’d love to buy one right about now.

that would be cool to have in the garage
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: