Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Small Car Subaru Conversion Help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarGuy8084
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

So I am super frustrated with the small car Subaru conversion kit. The instructions are terrible and it kind of seems like they threw a bunch of parts in a box and said "good luck figuring out how it all goes together". Does anyone have any experience with their kits? First off, the coolant lines don't match up. It looks like some may have the hard lines end underneath instead of come all the way to to engine compartment? Should I just cut mine short and run the hose they supplied down underneath? Secondly their wire diagram shows a picture with a pinout for 85-91 vans but not my 84. They mention the connection number for my year but the colors don't match up to the plug I have.
Anyone have any pictures or better diagrams? Better yet an electronic copy of the instructions for a better kit (like rocky mountain maybe) that has pinouts for other years?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

I used the small car “kit” as well. Well, just the wiring instructions that is. It took a lot of studying to get it figured out but I prevailed and you will too. Give them a call. They do offer tech support and can walk you thru any questions that you may have. The cooling system requires some creative engineering no matter what kit you have. I cut out that area of firewall to make ky coolant lines route cleanly. My best advice there is watch the busaru videos on youtube at least 17 times to get a good handle on it Wink. The good news is this has been done so many times there is a lot of support out there. The other good news is a lot of your questions will be answered by watching those videos if you havent already. I was able to fab up a lot of my own parts based on those videos and Im at all a fabricator. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarGuy8084
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

Thanks...I think I was just expecting the "kit" to be fairly bolt together. I don't have a problem fabricating but I was wondering if I was maybe missing something before I started hacking into everything. I was planning on calling for the wiring help but since its the weekend I guess I'll have to be patient and wait until Monday.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

Please, do not give your money to those hacks. It just encourages them to fleece others.

Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities, but these hacks are just North of me and have trolled this community far too much for hard earned $$$ in exchange for half-baked ideas, inferior products and non-existent support. I didn't create their negative reputation, they earned it one sad sale at a time.
CarGuy8084
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

Well, too late...I'm almost done with the conversion. I definitely would recommend someone look around for a different kit if they are considering doing the conversion. It hasn't been the best experience. I have never used another kit though so I don't have anything to compare it with.
CarGuy8084
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

Here is me explaining my predicament so far. There is nothing major wrong with this kit...just lots of little stuff like this that keeps popping up and frustrating me.

https://youtu.be/myHHREdJ0Ck
bajabones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Small Car Subaru Conversion Help! Reply with quote

There is a new owner at small car
Maybe things will get better
Solid shaft
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: