Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
When I plug the IAC back in, I noticed my idle was around 1500 RPM. Usually 900. As soon as I unplugged it, idle was normal again.

This is leading me to suspect that the new IAC that I purchased from Bus Depot is the culprit. I replaced my stock IAC in the hopes that it would solve the occasional stalling that happens when the van sits unused for a while.

I understand that my oscillating, unexpected revving could be associated with a vacuum leak. Does anybody suspect that the IAC could have somehow caused the unexpected revving issue?

Unfortunately there is no way to test the idle control unit other than what’s in the manual but it is always a possible culprit. Assuming you have no vacuum leaks and everything else is working properly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
Having the same issue on the road right now and don't really have too much ability to research. Is the oxygen sensor something that I can easily replace with basic tools? how do I get to it?

I had also recently replaced my IAC and disconnected it and the problem has not happened again. I'm wondering if the new IAC may be defective.

Yes, it is easily accessed.
It is on the catalytic convertor to the left of the muffler.

Best changed when engine is cold.

It is an easy job unless the sensor is severely stuck.
Heating the threads with a torch is the answer if it is stuck.
Bummer scenario is too much application of brute strength on a rusty and stuck sensor can rip the threaded bung right off the convertor.
My Son-In-Law in Montana just did this very thing on his Subaru.

Now you're looking for a muffler shop to weld a new bung on.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Zoti, Dave, thanks for the replies.

Just drove it 100 miles home with the IAC disconnected and no issues.

This is what I bought: https://www.busdepot.com/025906457a

Not returnable apparently, but why would this cause unexpected revving and high idle unless it was defective?

I'll plug my old one back in tomorrow and see what happens. Again, the only reason I replaced it is because I thought it might solve my occasional stalling problem when the van sits for a while.

I may just change the oxygen sensor for good measure if I can easily get it out.

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:

Not returnable apparently, but why would this cause unexpected revving and high idle unless it was defective?

The problem could be in the control unit for the IAC and not the IAC itself.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
HackAl wrote:

The problem could be in the control unit for the IAC and not the IAC itself.

That's where the problem probably is.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Thanks. I found somebody in Oregon on the Samba selling a rebuilt idle control unit for $180. I reached out.

Just to be clear, my idle returned to normal when I unplugged the IAC. I did not have this problem with my stock IAC.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

I'm waiting on Zoti's new IAC control module. Needs to be out sooner.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:

Just to be clear, my idle returned to normal when I unplugged the IAC. I did not have this problem with my stock IAC.

In that case I would tend to blame the problem on the replacement IAC and just run with your original one.

It could be though that the original IAC doesn't work at all, remaining closed at all times Does it vibrate when the engine is running? If an IAC is not vibrating it is not working, though it can vibrate and still not work.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

I'll go back and see if the new IAC vibrates, I don't believe the old one did. However, when I hooked up the connectors to a 12v battery, I could clearly hear the valve open and shut (on the old one).

I'm inclined to try a new control unit to rule it out, though I hate chasing a problem with parts I can't return.

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Seeing a very similar fact pattern in this FB thread which I am studying now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vanagontech/permalink/1611624529014451/

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

So this is probably a lesson in "leave well enough alone" . I just set out to solve the issue where the van occasionally stalls at cold startup.

I got my hands on a rebuilt control module from a Samba user for $260, with $100 back when I return the core. I tried that with the recently purchased idle air control valve from bus depot which I think is defective. When the new IAC is connected, the idle runs high and fluctuates. This happens with both control modules.

I put both my stock control module and IAC back in and I will live with that for now. Wondering what I should do with these two parts now. I may return the module and just get my core deposit back but I will be eating $160 plus the $125 for the IAC, which is not returnable as an electric part.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

If you are getting different results with different parts then one or more parts are not operating as per the book. Maybe try to find someone with a Vanagon with the same FI system and use his parts to see it that makes it work correctly.

I know when I was first trying to get my '87 Syncro to run correctly I changed out every part of the FI and Ignition systems with my '91 without solving the problem excepting the spark plug wires as they were obviously almost brand new and ohmed out fine. When I finally changed out the wires the engine ran perfectly, apparently there was something in the inductance of the wires that messed up the ECU somehow. The moral of the story is some minor glitz that you wouldn't think could have an effect can mess up other parts of the FI system.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. Agree with everything you said.

But the plot thickens. I just blew into both the original and replacement IAC. On the old IAC, I cannot blow through it all when the valve is closed (with the spring piston extended inside). On the new one, the piston does not close all the way and a little air gets through,- which I'm assuming is what is causing high idle with the new IAC.

The new IAC is made by Lowe automobil. Does anybody have any experience with this part or brand? Will contact Bus Depot and see what they say.

It's still not clear to me whether there is anything wrong with my original IAC but I can't rule it out relying on a defective part to diagnose. Very few van owners within 50 mi of me, so I can't swap it out with one I know works.

Using my meter, I get continuity on both units.

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

10 minutes after my last post I discovered that I am a bit of a dumbass. Apparently when I changed my plugs and wires a couple months ago, I had not adequately secured the air cleaner filter housing. The c-clamp was not tight and air was apparently getting into the system. I'm sure that was contributing to the problem somehow. But the new IAC is still defective as far as I can tell. I contacted Bus Depot and will let you know what they say.

But my old IAC may have been working just fine. Air was just getting at the c-clamp connection. That's my new hypothesis anyway.

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Surging when in Idle ..... SOLVED Reply with quote

As far as parts, I was able to return the module without issue. And it turns out that Bus Depot got a few defective IAC valves and will let me return that too.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: