Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The things people ask about my T IIs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
When I got my bus a few years ago, I was expecting a lot of conversations at gas stations and such. It still happens, just not as often as I thought. I think it's because people don't expect me to be the owner. I'm 19, so I think they assume that it belongs to my dad or I won't know anything about it. Honestly the weirdest thing I've had multiple people tell me is "Oh you should paint it like the Mystery Machine!".

I'm 23, so I get a lot of this as well. Especially because I do not fit the typical young bus owner stereotype, since I'm not a hippie at all.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Quote:
couple that come to mind were: a Texas Ranger at an inspection point about 50 miles from the Mexico Border asking me "what's in the compartment under the bed"

If you aren’t in a hurry...

“ Yo mama”
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

From the experienced VW folks.

“Do you work on it yourself”

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I have had people often say how much they wanted one and I used to explain how much work it has taken for me to keep my bus going, which is kind of a downer, so I don’t really mention that anymore.

I have given strangers a tour of the Westy interior. Driving my bus has been the start of many pleasant conversations. When I drive it to work, kids waiting for the school bus who have never seen one wave.

I’ve heard the porch engine thing many times. I explain it if I’m talking to another gear head. It is sort of a porch engine with some important distinctions.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

The bus gets lots of “Love your van” especially from teen girls for some reason. One girl commented that she was actually born in a bus in Alaska 🥶 When I drive the beetle, the boys begin randomly punching one another.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Whenever I’m out in the single cab most people seem to think I made it out of a bus.

yea, X2. i get that all the time in my SC.

my favorite is the "i had one just like it" only to find out it was a eurovan... yea buddy, they are fucking exactly the same.

also almost everyone's mood changes when they walk around the back and see this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

guess they think buses=fun loving hippies. well, this bus ain't one of them. that usually ends the conversation quickly and i'm on my way Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

^^^^^^^

I picked up a hitch-hiker the other day. The first thing he noticed when he got in was my sidearm.

His comment was “ holy shit, a hippy with a gun!”

I guess he assumed that my ownership of a bus automatically made me a hippie. I certainly tried to be one when I was younger, but at 51, with balding grey hair, not sure what kinda hippie I resemble now.

I politely told him, “ hippies have rights too, and this hippy excerises his regularly”.

His response.... “ cool”.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

I have a 1st Cav sticker on my bus. My neighbor put it there. He said is retired army.
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Alright, NEVER before has anyone asked me "how many windows". I didn't even know it was a common(?) question. I read this thread yesterday and just today someone asked me "how many windows is it?". weird
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Alright, NEVER before has anyone asked me "how many windows". I didn't even know it was a common(?) question. I read this thread yesterday and just today someone asked me "how many windows is it?". weird

That question applies to split windows. So, once again it’s about people not know WTF they are talking about.

My bay Westy is a 14 window… 😂
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
^^^^^^^

I picked up a hitch-hiker the other day. The first thing he noticed when he got in was my sidearm.

His comment was “ holy shit, a hippy with a gun!”

I guess he assumed that my ownership of a bus automatically made me a hippie. I certainly tried to be one when I was younger, but at 51, with balding grey hair, not sure what kinda hippie I resemble now.

I politely told him, “ hippies have rights too, and this hippy excerises his regularly”.

His response.... “ cool”.

I picked up a hitchhiker a few weeks ago while I was on call in my daily. He climbed, reached into his backpack, I’m thinking “oh shit, really?” It was a pack of smokes, lol, with a few blunts in it (legal in Maine, but not in a vehicle)t. I think he was about to ask me if it was ok when dispatch called me for a status check as I was currently out of the area. He looked at the lights on the dash, then slowly at the radio, then stared straight ahead and asked “was that the Po Po?” Told him yeh, that was the county dispatch. Weirdly, he decided he only needed to go a mile up the road after that, lol.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
at 51, with balding grey hair, not sure what kinda hippie I resemble now..

you resemble this guy Very Happy

ImAddicted wrote:
I picked up a hitchhiker a few weeks ago...

Shocked

that's still a thing (both of you!) i honestly can't remember when the last time i even saw a hitchhiker.

i picked up a girl once in about 98-99. i was on my lunch break and going to cash my check. came ripping around a corner in my (new) VR6 GTI and about hit her. it was kinda hot out and clearly she looked as if she had been thru the wringer

pretty girl, about my age or so (at the time) i stopped and asked if she needed a ride. had a ton of shit with her (2 back packs and a small duffel bag)

asked her where she was heading and "she didn't know" told her where i was heading and she said that would be great. turns out there was a state cop sitting at the bank. i told her "look, you need some help for sure, lemme get this cop to give you a ride"

told him what i knew and left the 2 of them as i cashed my check. i think about her from time to time and wondered how she turned out. anyway...no way would i pick someone up today

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
at 51, with balding grey hair, not sure what kinda hippie I resemble now..

you resemble this guy Very Happy

ImAddicted wrote:
I picked up a hitchhiker a few weeks ago...

Shocked

that's still a thing (both of you!) i honestly can't remember when the last time i even saw a hitchhiker.

You live in Sticksville, we live in the place that Sticksville calls the sticks:). I see hitchers a lot, I’ll stop if it looks like they are trying to get to work or have bags of groceries (unfortunately common). If I have the wife in the car, nope.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

Had a guy walk up to me in a grocery store parking lot (I was waiting for my wife) and hand me 2 dollars and then says "Thanks for the memories" and walks away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: The things people ask about my T IIs Reply with quote

deezal wrote:
Had a guy walk up to me in a grocery store parking lot (I was waiting for my wife) and hand me 2 dollars and then says "Thanks for the memories" and walks away.

My friend has a "donations" box he hangs on his show car when he goes to car meets. He has made a surprising amount of money.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: