Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans break in
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

36hp cars with factory gearboxes are fine for the freeway
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I really never had the need to go on the freeway.
Now that i live in Daytona beach, the freeways here are mega dangerous. There is a death pretty much everyday. Also its always 500 degrees here, so the thought of sitting in a car with no air (or vent wings) for hours is not very appealing!
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

So i ran it on jackstands initially to run it through the gears, then drove around the parking lot just to check it out. Nothing weird happened so far, so tomorrow will be the maiden voyage. I realized today i filled the trans with just the back end jacked up. Before i go i will put it on the lift and double check it. I want to bleed the brakes one more time before i go anyway, so 2 birds. Fingers crossed.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

So i went for a few drives yesterday. Seems to be issue free. I am having trouble adjusting that empi trigger shifter. Doesn't seem to want to hit the 1&2 gears very easily, but i will keep at it. It was 99 degrees out here so it was hard to want to sit in a car out in the sun and jack with it.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

The best thing to do is to pull the shift rod and install the adjust end on it. You can then buy the CB Rhino connector and those two combined will give you infinite adjustment for your shifter.
The Rhino mount will take all the slop out of the connection and the adjust will let you adjust the shifter.

I get the shifter centered in the throw in neutral while connected to the trans and the lock nut loose. Put the trans in reverse and then hold the shifter in the reverse position. Once held there tighten up the lock nut of the adjuster and you should have perfect shifts every time.

Coupler.....

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6110.htm

Adjuster....

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6335.htm

You can add some washers to get rid of even more movement if you want.
My build has pics and a little write up about it somewhere.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I have that coupler but not the adjuster.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

don't install the adjuster,, that's for buggies that have shortened the rod,
it's the NEW syncros they will wear in Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Yeah I'm sure i will get it, just need to mess with it more.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

why the Shockproof oil? what diff compared to the MT or MTL Redline?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Bugguy, there's a VW show at the St Augustine Classic Car Museum (US 1) this Saturday. You should cruise up US 1 and hang out.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:

That's just what i heard was the good stuff.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Bugguy, there's a VW show at the St Augustine Classic Car Museum (US 1) this Saturday. You should cruise up US 1 and hang out.

I'm going to go, but i doubt i can take the car, i don't have tail lights yet. Charlie was going to put a set together for me but hasn't gotten to it yet.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:

It's designed for drag racing. It's supposed to help reduce the shock loads (hammer hits).
It has shock reducing elements in it. Not sure if it does anything, but I have good experience with it.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

The shockproof oil also simply shifts better. If you look at the lack of certain friction modifiers it "shouldnt" because its more slippery, but it simply does. I used redline MTL, and redline 80-90, redline "NS" and all the standard gear oils and the shockproof almost falls into gear itself with little effort. Add that to a oil that has a film strength of 75-250 but flows like 75-90 and its a win win.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

Mine doesn't fall into gear just yet but hopefully it will soon!
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

I've used the lightweight shockproof in lots of jap performance boxes with excellent results.
Any comparison here as to light vs heavy for T1 trans?

65 rhd Beetle
72 rhd kombi
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
The shockproof oil also simply shifts better. If you look at the lack of certain friction modifiers it "shouldnt" because its more slippery, but it simply does. I used redline MTL, and redline 80-90, redline "NS" and all the standard gear oils and the shockproof almost falls into gear itself with little effort. Add that to a oil that has a film strength of 75-250 but flows like 75-90 and its a win win.

cool. which one did you use or have been using? lightweight or superlightweight ?

i have been using Motul Gear 300 for years, street car. migh wana give this Schockproof a try.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trans break in Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
jpaull wrote:

cool. which one did you use or have been using? lightweight or superlightweight ?

i have been using Motul Gear 300 for years, street car. migh wana give this Schockproof a try.

The "Heavy" Shockproof. I think the ability to have the 75-250 film strength but flow like 75-90 is what gives it the Heavy designation.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: