Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing axle tube flange gaskets
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrekhus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

Installing new gaskets on a 63 bug swing axle tube. Installed 2 paper gaskets, the red colored ones. Did not feel any drag at all very loose. Took one gasket out and now very slight drag is felt. It originally had 2 gaskets and felt ok at the time but was kind of hard to tell with the boot still in place. Every swing axle I’ve had apart had at least 2. Is it common to only need one or could there be other issues? Just want to be sure before I just go with it. I also installed new plastic “daisys” if that matters at all.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

the gaskets are of different 'thicknesses'. They set the 'free-play' to a specific amount
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

ebrekhus wrote:
Installing new gaskets on a 63 bug swing axle tube. Installed 2 paper gaskets, the red colored ones. Did not feel any drag at all very loose. Took one gasket out and now very slight drag is felt. It originally had 2 gaskets and felt ok at the time but was kind of hard to tell with the boot still in place. Every swing axle I’ve had apart had at least 2. Is it common to only need one or could there be other issues? Just want to be sure before I just go with it. I also installed new plastic “daisys” if that matters at all.

Check this video out
https://youtu.be/7Wyq1_R1Rzc

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

Check to make sure someone hasn’t gorilla torqued the flange nuts at one time, and distorted the flange area around the holes. I’ve also come across a tube from a trans with a broken axle that actually distorted the bell shape of the retainer from the force of the axle breaking. If the flange is flat around the holes, will seal the gasket, and has the correct endplay, you should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

Weddle along with other companies sell retaining stiffeners to stop the distortion of the flange retainer too. If you have one that is a little boogered up it can be straightened/flattened the best you can then get the stiffness...or just get a new axle tube

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebrekhus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

There doesn’t appear to be any distortion on any of the flange holes and the flange seems to be flat and no other damage to any other parts was noted. It just feels too loose with 2 gaskets and it obviously needs at least 1 so I’m going to go with it.
Cypcode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing axle tube flange gaskets Reply with quote

Any feedback on how the one gasket worked out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: