Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Here's how mine look and they are on the correct side that they belong.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Here's a really great video from KGPR of a window scraper installation on a vert. They make it look very easy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZciT2Gz2Cs

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, looking at your pic, compared to Crocteau and Jeffrey's, for the rear it seems like any position will work. When I put the front bumper together, I definitely put the overriders on the wrong side and it was really noticeable. Maybe because the front is not as wide, you don't have as much room for error.

Thanks for the video, will check it out!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

That video answered all my questions Marc, perfect. Thanks again!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
That video...
...made me cringe when he offhandedly trimmed the excess rubber. With an xacto knife in my unsteady old hands, a credit card drawn along under the edge to protect the paint countered the agita.
When you're ready, Jeff, do drop in Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'll find a nice thick piece of plastic to put under when trimming. That guy either doesn't care about his paint, or is so confident..he doesn't care!

Would love to drop by to see your Ghia, and hoping we can park them side by side!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Was able to do a few things over the past days. I have been looking for a left side rear bumper bracket cover due to mine having some rust through holes. Didn't want to buy a repop, and those available in the classifieds were priced like a gold coin, so I decided to try and patch myself using some fiberglass based filler. Both covers were really rusty with several layers of paint, so I decided to let them take a bath in some muriatic acid for a bit. Here's the result:

Holes in cover

Patched with filler

Letting it harden so will go out today and sand and paint. Will follow on with completed pics. Thanks to Marc for finding that edge trim, I have some on order to use when completed.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I then decided to tackle the A pillar window rubber and try to adjust the window on the right side, that took most of the afternoon just readjusting everything.

Got that piece cut and fitted, but still need to make some finishing cuts.

Then had to play with all the window adjustments, up and down, front to back, window roller stop, that took a lot of time going back and forth to get it as close as possible. At the rear, there continued to be a space between the glass and the rubber at about the mid-point. After readjusting several times, it became clear I need to adjust the rubber on the B pillar, pushing it out and re-drilling new holes so it closes the gap. Can't really see in this pic, just the window at the rear.

The one space I couldn't figure out was at the top front corner. However, I think if I use a shim on that top piece and perhaps the A pillar seal, I should be able to move the rubber closer to the glass, or maybe I just need to make a better cut, it is a bit tight there...was too burned out to do this, so another piece to complete.

Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

In between adjusting the door glass and getting frustrated, sometimes you just have to walk away for a couple minutes. So I decided to try putting on some trim on the header bow. This was a piece i wasn't aware of until the topic was brought up and some of you came through with pics, so thanks for that! When I looked at the piece from Chuck's, it looked familiar to some sponge rubber window insulation trim, so instead of ordering that piece, I went to the Homer store and picked up what looked identical, here's what I used:

This seal is sticky on one side and was very adjustable.

When I closed the top, it really closed the small gap I had and sat very flush with the windshield frame. I think this will work perfectly and can use to fill out any areas that may need a bit more fill when I put the top cover on. I like it!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nice work! Cool
Steelz21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Excellent McGyver skills.

Can’t wait to see your car all done and on the road.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Not sure if my "McGyver" skills are the proper way to do things, but if doing something over and over again qualifies, then I'm an expert!!!

Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks to Marc for finding that edge trim, I have some on order to use when completed.
Jeff

You're truly welcome. You and I are pretty much working on the same areas practically at the same time. And ironically, we both have the same - 71 Ghia cabriolet. It's very helpful to read your thread as I move forward.

Great idea on the convertible top seal at the windshield. I was wondering the same as my top, which is a 6 year old top from another 71, came with no seal at all. I most likely will have to install an exterior seal.

I'm not far from starting to install my Windows and all that relates to them. Seeing your pictures and write up is helpful.

Thanks for sharing.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks guys. Not sure if my "McGyver" skills are the proper way to do things, but if doing something over and over again qualifies, then I'm an expert!!!
Well, Sir, the fact that you're doing something over and over again and actually getting better results confirms your sanity, but I wouldn't cotton to the latter term that's sometimes used to describe a 'former drip under pressure'... Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Continuing on with my window gap/weatherstrip/vert frame adjustment saga, having been able to close the gaps and adjustments on the right side, I turned my attention to the left side. As you can see, there was still a gap at the top front of the window and weather strip.

I also had a good 1/4" or so at the back long side of the glass where it meets with the top frame, even with the top locked in place. So it was obvious I had to move the weather strip to the outer edge of the frame so the window would at least touch up against the glass. Taped the weather strip in place, tapped some new holes, broke at least one bit, had to punch that out, continued on:

Another thing I noticed after that was a large gap between the weather strip and the frame. Luckily, I had all the old weather strip and found some factory rubber shims on the long piece that sat at the top of the glass. Pulled that up and mounted it to the quarter piece.

Forgot to get pics of the final mount, more later, but after doing one more adjustment to the glass from inside the door, the window touches all points on the rubber where necessary....finally!!!

One question I do have, the widow regulator where the glass rides up and down, at the bottom of the door it has a bolt and a little turn screw inside that. Once I got the window adjustments correct, I locked in the nut with the glass at the top, letting it find its place and then seating it. The question I have is in regards to the slotted bolt with the flat washer connected to it on the inside of the door. I'm not exactly sure what that adjusts, played with it a little but still not clear. Is the purpose to adjust the glass against or away from the window scarper on the door or angle the top of the glass? I can't quite tell as the adjustments seem minute.

Any thoughts or links to explain? I checked the Look, Listen, Body Leaks manual, but found nothing in there regarding this adjuster. Hoping I can be schooled or directed on how this works.

More later,
Jeff

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

That screw forces the top of the window in or out toward the top frame. If you roll the window all the way it’s quite noticeable.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

OK, thank you Sir, I kind of got that idea trying to play with it. I think I have it set in place, but now that you have confirmed, I will look at it a bit more closely.
Cheers, Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

You are really in the thick of it Jeff. Wish I could help but I have nothing but encouragement to offer. I've read many posts about how frustrating this can be. I intend to drive mostly with the top down so in the interest of getting the car on the road before fall, I may leave this til later, along with the carpet, door panels, and back seat.
You're making nice progress and it's looking good. Keep on keeping on.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, encouragement is always accepted! I know what you mean about how much time and detail is involved, but I just want to get everything done step by step so as to eliminate having to do it piecemeal later on. That's what I did when I originally bought it almost 30 years ago when I didn't have the time or money to do a bunch at once.

I know what you mean about wanting to drive with the top down, before I tore my Ghia all the way down, I hardly every had the top up, even if there was a light rain, I just drove faster until it started to come down too hard, then the top went up while I agonized over when I could drop the top again!

Getting there step by step. Now if I can just get my engine back from the guy who is going through it to make it smooth, that would be helpful...but that's another story.....
Jeff

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

The bow will require a second spongy seal in the groove that sits on the second step up.
I didn’t know about the shims for the window seals. I adjusted my windows best I could but still have a gap on the back edge. Guess I will have to look for some rubber to shim it out with.
I’ve been lazy about updating my own thread. I did learn some stuff the hard way.
After the headliner is installed it’s important to follow this order of assembly.
1: wind lacing. Only use the carpet tacks in the spots required the other holes are for screws for the hinge covers. The carpet tacks can be bought from Wolfsburgwest.
2: hinge covers. Mark on the edge where your three screw holes should go make sure they don’t line up with carpet tacks. If using the shoulder harness point drill out ahead of time. Mount the hinge cover.
3: back of rear sear.
4: rear carpet pieces.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 26

Jump to: