Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Is it the original old diaphragm in there or did you replace it?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
southbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Hi @notchboy, I'm starting to prepare to restore a BN4 heater, model 201295, among the dozen doubts I have, I need to know how to replace the original relay with a newer one that is easier to find, the original relay looks rusty on the outside and I think It must be the same or worse inside.

I appreciate your tips and tricks.

Cesar
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

southbus wrote:
Hi @notchboy, I'm starting to prepare to restore a BN4 heater, model 201295, among the dozen doubts I have, I need to know how to replace the original relay with a newer one that is easier to find, the original relay looks rusty on the outside and I think It must be the same or worse inside.

I appreciate your tips and tricks.

Cesar

I've never gone as far as to replace the relay with a newer one, although I think it would be a very easy task to someone that knows how it needs to work and get the modern equivalent.

The way I always approached a rebuild was to buy one or two spare - as complete as possible units - then take the parts as needed to make one. I also focused on a "OG" presentation wanting to keep things stock so to speak. I've had great success finding good used parts off of other units.

Sorry I cant direct you to an instant fix. I hope that helps.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

I think it's a double pole relay, as in it controls 2 separate isolated circuits, you'll need 2 separate relays to do the same job, not impossible.

Clean yours up with vinegar and a toothbrush, you may be surprised just how nasty something can look yet still work. Careful with the fine wires inside when scrubbing, break one of those and the job suddenly gets harder.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
southbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Hello friends, thank you for your answers, I will soon begin to restore this heater but I am at a crossroads:

I try to get it to work like it is before restoring it ...?
Or do I take it apart and start the cleaning and painting process?

I have these doubts because I do not know what state the membranes of the pump and the pressure regulator are in ... Do you have any information where to get some?

Thank you very much and I wish you a great weekend.

Cesar
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

There's an option for pump diaphragms, last couple pages here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9654914#9654914

I'd dive in and take it apart for the full clean up and resto, there's many places that corrode and make bad electrical contact so trying to fire it up as is might be futile. But do secure the pump diaphragms first, there's other ways around that too, but I don't know how resourceful or crafty you are.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

This Might work?

THIN NITRILE COATED NYLON DIAPHRAGM DATASHEET - BS2751

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Our thin nitrile coated nylon diaphragm sheeting is a high-quality material that combines excellent resistance with durable physical properties. The nylon fabric reinforcement serves to increase the strength and durability of this diaphragm material without compromising on flexibility. This enables our material to provide an impressive life expectancy even in physically demanding applications. The Nitrile rubber outer provides excellent resistance against mineral oils and fuels as well as a wide operating temperature range. This enables you to use our material in a number of automotive, fuel pump as well as valve applications. Our thin nitrile coated nylon diaphragm material is available in a variety of thicknesses from 0.25mm to 1.20mm. Aside from full rolls we can also supply this particular material in strip cut lengths and bespoke gaskets.

We regularly supply our nitrile coated nylon diaphragm sheeting for use in a number of diaphragm sealing applications. Common uses include; pumps, valves, gas control equipment and carburettors. However, our nitrile diaphragm material is also suitable for use as a flexible strip, critical sealing gasket, insulating barrier as well as isolating application....

POTENTIAL APPLICATIONS
Thin gauge diaphragm sealing applications
Automotive carburettors
Gas control & valve equipment
L.P.G. & methane gas actuators & regulators
Diesel & other fuel pumps
Gas & fuel metering equipment

THICKNESS WEIGHT TENSILE STRENGTH ELONGATION AT BREAK
0.25mm 390 80 30%
0.40mm 500 130 30%
0.50mm 650 175 30%
0.75mm 850 300 30%
1.00mm 1150 300 30%
1.20mm 1600 300 30%

https://therubbercompany.com/rubber-sheeting/diaph...m-sheeting
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Sounds OK to me, but I'm sure Raygreenwood would have lots to say about it. Wink

Sourcing the material is half the battle, getting the brass discs off the old one and re riveting them to the replacements is a challenge the average home mechanic may struggle with. With modern CNC machining I'm sure one of our experts in that field could lay out the numbers and have some new discs manufactured, but as usual are VW owners willing to actually open up their wallets once someone is stuck with a pile of parts?

Слава Україні!
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Great, always appreciate Ray's Input, your's too Busdaddy! :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Sounds OK to me, but I'm sure Raygreenwood would have lots to say about it. Wink

Sourcing the material is half the battle, getting the brass discs off the old one and re riveting them to the replacements is a challenge the average home mechanic may struggle with. With modern CNC machining I'm sure one of our experts in that field could lay out the numbers and have some new discs manufactured, but as usual are VW owners willing to actually open up their wallets once someone is stuck with a pile of parts?

Very much so. I've restored one early gas heater and I has an nos metering solenoid with nos diaphragm in it to play with. The early ones also has lots of electrical connections in-between everything. High amps and a good power source is a must. These early ones are not for the novice but are as plentiful - even more so than the later ones due to their issues.

I've said it many times, restore a later one. They are much easier to do. I've popped out 16-18 of them over the years? I wish you luck my friend!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

Thanks,

If necessary I will take it to a Pro for the riveting, I do have spare parts...

FYI, I have an NOS new style (orange) BN4 I bought off e-bay Germany 10 years ago and 4 used metering fuel pumps... and three older types one of which came installed from the factory in my 71 Westy... I also bought one of the older style with the round front tube used for Single/Double Cab trucks... My plan is to use the newer one for camping trips and restore the original one for the Westy and retrofit another old one for My DC... Just love turning them on and having instant heat! Plus with the 1 5/8" heater boxes from A-1 they will come in handy :0)
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

So, gotta ask, is there a decent replacement for the diaphrams in a BN4 heater fuel pump or fuel regulator?

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early BN4 Eberspächer Restoration Bay Window Bus 68-72 Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
So, gotta ask, is there a decent replacement for the diaphrams in a BN4 heater fuel pump or fuel regulator?

Thanks!

Chris

Seems Angleofattack's one is standing up so far: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9654729#9654729

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: