Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Bug as First Car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You Let Your New Driver Daughter Drive a Bug (with some upgrades)
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 112

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
It would be just as "period" correct to install seat belts in a car that didn't have them because many people did just that when they bought their cars new.

American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "no" but I will add this caveat.

My dad was a classic car guy. We had OLD cars (1915 on up) in our family. I've been in more than my fair share major accidents in my life (38yo now). They sum up as follows:

Age 16 driving a 1976 Suburban. Going through an intersection a distracted driver turning left (1993 Ford Taurus) "didn't see me" and hit the drivers side front head on. I was wearing my belt. My speed was 40, his was 45. No brakes used. No injury to me. He was dazed but survived Drove the suburban home.

Age 18 same suburban. Going through an intersection (different one) on the green. A driver passed out while driving approaching the red light - foot hit the gas. She careen BETWEEN four cars stopped at the light, broadsided a 1970 camero at 70mph - which was thrown into the side of the suburban pushing me into the slow lane and oncoming traffic all of which stopped. Slight back sprain is all I suffered. Drove the suburban home.

Age 19 driving a 1986 Mercury Topaz. Jeep Grand Cherokee pulled out in front of me. I broadsided it at 45mph. Seat belt failed. Face hit the headliner. Knocked me out. Neck strain is all I suffered.

Age 23 driving a 1921 Model T Roadster. Road rage incident. Short story - driver of a 70's truck pulled in front of me and did a brake check. I slammed on the "brakes" on the Model T. Locked up both rear wheels. The old Model T fishtailed and the Passenger side front wheel hit a rail road track at about 30 miles per hour. Car flipped. Luckily the top was down. I was catapulted out of the car and thrown about 30 yards onto asphalt. Hit the ground with my face, shoulder, and left foot. Knocked unconscious. Torn ligaments in my feet and shoulder along with MAJOR road rash. My passenger was trapped UNDER the old Model T. Gas tank is under the seat. He was scratched up badly (nothing like gasoline pouring down on you either) and had chemical burns from the gasoline in his wounds. He had bruised kidneys. (FYI - the other driver was cited for wreckless driving and endangerment as well as vehicular assault and did time in jail.

Age 33 driving my 62 VW beetle.

(Thread is here:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=402206&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Driver pulled out in front of me (didn't see me). I broadsided him. I had on lap belts. Face hit the steering wheel (40 stitches). Chin and lip split into two with teeth protruding THROUGH my chin. Head hit the windshield (10 staples to my scalp). Pinched sciatic nerve leaves me with a limp to this day. Beetle was totaled. Small dent to the bottom drivers door on the truck.

My point here is every one of these accidents was caused by someone else being stupid or inattentive. In every case I took appropriate action and to some degree was injured. I was injured the most in classic cars. I was the safest in a tank (mid 70's suburban).

There is risk in everything but always consider the worst case scenario. But please remember a 1963 beetle is just that. It's a 50 year old car. It has a metal dash board. There are no air bags. I was a little VW shy after that. Didn't get another VW until last year.

Be smart and pay attention to the other idiots on the road. Remember - it only takes a moment of inattention to cause an accident.

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSpeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted yes.

My 13 year old son just acquired a '62, and I'm guiding him through a frame off restoration.

Front disks, seat belts, and high back seats are on our list. The car is only for his use between home and school. I've got several other cars available for everything else.

My older child learned on the best starter car ever... a retired '98 Ford Police Interceptor AKA P71 Crown Vic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I have to say, my first car was a 36 horsepower 1960 beetle. When I think about all the stupid stuff I did in that car, there is NO WAY I would ever give my kid a beetle as a first car!
And we didn’t have so many stupid people in big giant SUV’s on their cell phone in those days!
In a beetle you only get one chance. Get it wrong and there is no replay button.
dw_crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

My first car was a 64 Beetle. It is a great first car for one reason....It teaches defensive driving. You know you only have one accident in a Beetle. So, you learn to be aware of others on the road and learn to avoid them.

Everyone should learn to drive in a car where defensive driving is a must!!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

A man i know personally, lost his son in a beetle. idk the whole story, but his son was young. as a result He shut down his entire vw club and shed for 2 years i think. these cars are not safe impact wise.

your chances are better if you know how to drive. but still all it takes is one drunk driver or wrong move.

there should be an in between option. yes if your child can naturally drive well. hell no if they cant even drive a golf kart in a sraight line.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

So the OP hasn’t been back since Oct. of 2014, and his daughter is now 21....

I’m going to go out on a limb, and guess she had a short attention span like every other Gen Z kid, and decided she didn’t want the car a month after the purchase.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
So the OP hasn’t been back since Oct. of 2014, and his daughter is now 21....

I’m going to go out on a limb, and guess she had a short attention span like every other Gen Z kid, and decided she didn’t want the car a month after the purchase.

true about my generation being dumb as nutterbutter, but hey. im 2yrs and nipples deep in my project Laughing and 4yrs since my first. the adhd helps the focus yo.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
…she had a short attention span like every other Gen Z kid, and decided she didn’t want the car a month after the purchase.

There was a thread here several years ago about a father/daughter restoration project on a ‘64 Beetle that was to be the kid’s first car. After a nearly 3-year effort, the daughter decided that she really didn’t want the beautifully-finished car after all. Not because she didn’t like it, but because all her friend’s parents wouldn’t allow them ride in it with her. Instant deal killer Confused
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

Ever see the 1959 Chevy vs 2009 Chevy crash test? Even with a car as big as a 59 Chevy, the results are frightening...and shows how far the engineering has come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

I’m more against having a classic car as a first car for the maintenance/reliability aspect.

Few are going to going to replace EVERYTHING required for daily driving. Sure the tires/brakes are common sense, but few do anything about electrical switches/wiring. Then there’s the aspect of the quality of replacement parts available. It’s much easier to deal with a modern 5-10 year old car all they have to do is put gas in.

As for the safety aspect, I’m not sure what to tell you. The girl wth the completed car her friends couldn’t ride in sounds like they had helicopter parents that had their kids wearing their Covid masks while swimming alone in the family pool. They’re most likely the same parents stupid enough to let their kids ride in a “safe” modern car with a driver that uses their phone texting, or for social media the majority of the time driving.

The bottom line about first time drivers is their level of responsibility, and the person teaching them. If the teacher is an irresponsible dumbass, the new driver will be.

I feel sorry for those afraid they’re going to die in an accident everytime they drive their classic car. Sure there are a lot more dumbass drivers in 2021 than there were in the 70’s-80’s-90’s. The police do nothing to stop distracted drivers, so there’s not much you’re going to do about it. I know of more people that have been injured/died in self inflicted one car accidents than two car accidents from another driver at fault.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

I’m 17 and my daily driver is a 1970 Squareback. It has a lot more safety features than my 64 beetle but still not near “safe”. The Squareback also has dual circuit brakes, with disk fronts and rears that are huge too. It stops on a dime. I always wear a 3 point seat belt and have my passengers wear one. I’ve put close to 10,000 miles on it so far. I think the kid has to be invested to rock a classic car. In 10k miles I’ve never had a breakdown where I couldn’t make it home after a 5 minute delay. But I also know, listen, and watch the car for what it needs. If the kid just wants to drive it because they think it’s “cool” I say no. You need to be invested in the car and really appreciate the car as a new driver to drive a classic. I don’t think my parents want me driving the old death traps but probably don’t say anything because I would lose it if I couldn’t drive my VWs.

For maintainence, I have no issues but I have done all the work myself from taking a mouse infested barn find Square that didn’t run to a daily driver I’ve driven 10k. I think anyone that drives these often MUST know how everything works and know how to fix basic things.

I think a big difference is where you live. I live out in the rural country area of a city of 40k people, I drive 8 miles to school but there is usually only 2-4 cars per mile of road I pass. I also think most kids near me have been driving motorized vehicles since they were little like quads, snowmobiles, dirt bikes and other things but have a lot more experience than the people that grew up in town. I think a late 60s or 70s bug is a better choice since it has more safety features. Also, versus the thread where the daughter’s friend’s parents wouldn’t let them drive in her beetle, where I live all my friends parents think it’s awesome, I’ve even let one of the parents drive my beetle because she wanted to, mind you my beetle with no doors Shocked a lot of my friends parents just think it’s awesome and I’ve only had one friend that won’t ride in it but his twin sister has.

I think as new drivers or daily driving having 3pt seat belts is a must and disk brakes are a good upgrade. High back seats in with a head rest, collapsible steering column.

These are just my thoughts on everything, take it or leave it.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: