Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1946 vw beetle story
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

So I've seen this particular beetle a few times in documentaries and its also related with Ivan Hirst in some way. Some people mention its a prototype but it is clearly not a V303 or VW38 since it has 21 air slots, also there is only one VW39 left, the raffay one as far I know. Apart from the promenant off-road modifications done to the car, it also has very pronounced front fenders. Some people also claim that this is the car that inspired Ivan Hirst to rebuild the Wolfsburg factory. Anyways, can someone explain what the story is of this particular car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is Ivan Hirst with the car and you can also see what I meant with the fenders.

Clearly not the same car but supposedly this is that car that inspired Hirst to resume production, if I am correct at least

The car in the stiftung automuseum volkswagen.

front angle
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

it is a post war prototype vw 287. based on the wartime type 87 kommendeurwagen. using the 4x4 schwimwagen running gear.
they made 2 prototypes in 1946 the French army where interested in such model . they ordered 100 units .but they could not produce them due to the necessary tooling had been destroyed the story goes. the surviving 287 at the Wolfsburg museum is the surviving example. used by the British as a staff car after the war. I think I remember the chassis of the other one survived?
they made other prototypes after the war. a good book on all the strange prototype vw's made is (the beetle the chronicles of the people's car) design and evolution -the story. volume 2 . the crazy roller apron and Baja treatment to the fenders and high mounted exhaust was for serious off-roading !
not all prototypes are pre-war .they still make prototypes.
the new electric micro-bus for example.

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

Thanks! That's really great info, I thought it was a pre-war car that was later converted. Looks like I am going buying that book that you mentioned.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

Here it is in 2017. You can see the schwimwagen front suspension in the second picture.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

Notice also the widened fenders and widened running boards, and Kubelwagen exhaust exiting out the rear fenders. It was said that Hirst ordered the front roller because he remembered Citroen armored cars from World War 1 that had them.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1946 vw beetle story Reply with quote

Quote:
a good book on all the strange prototype vw's made is (the beetle the chronicles of the people's car) design and evolution -the story. volume 2 .
Written by Hans-Ruediger Etzold. The German version I have is from the 2nd printing, 1985. Its ISBN # is 3-7168-1613-2.

In Sept. 1980 I worked at the Wolfsburg plant as a trainee in the Service Department. Its building was located adjacent to the Service Workshop near the west gate. I walked past the Workshop every day for 2 months on my way to and from the office via the pedestrian tunnel that went under the Mittelland Canal. I remember seeing this very Beetle parked in the Workshop yard one day! It was quite battered, dented, chipped paint but complete. I was drawn to the car by its wide wheels and tires, the lack of bumpers, and the strange "dough roller" in the front apron. Car was likely there to get some maintenance. 3 years later I moved back to the USA and started working for another car company. In 1991 during a business trip to southern Germany I drove up to WOB on the weekend, went to the Stiftung Automuseum, and saw the Beetle as now shown in the photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: