Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing how your replacement gray cord material turns out. I have the same in my 64.
'64 Ruby Red Deluxe Beetle
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words.

Gerb. So do i. Big leap but i want to do it right. Looking now for the shop to make the covers. Really only two options and it really boils down to do i want heat seams or not.

Cyclehobby. You are right. It goes down. Or at least Bently shows it that way. I have corrected that.

This week i think i am declaring the chassis done. Or at least as far as i can take it for the foreseeable future. I went through my list of things to do and other than put gear oil in the trans i have completed them all.

Breaks adjusted & blead. Beam greased. Lock tabs bent. Steering toe checked. Shift coupler installed and safety wired. Things like that. (Can't install axle boots till chassis on ground so no gear oil) I REALLY want to drive the chassis without the body on so the Engine is the next task.

From advise i removed the powder coat from the rim lug nut wells. Apparently not a good surface for lug nuts to grab onto and they back off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At the same time i noticed powder coat is also a lousy surface for stick-on wheel weights as they fell off. Not sure how i will fix that right now. Not sure who does old school weights and not sure i want them on the face of my rims anyways.

Finished my 3D printed radio buttons and painted them. They are the wrong color though so i may have to re-paint. Very pleased with fit and finish though. Made two sets.

Front doors came home. They are curing now while i work out hinge pins. Measured all my pins. All of the pins have steps in them even though my doors did not really sag and closed solid. I measure the door hinge holes at .314" to .317". I think i am going to install 1st oversize pins.

Any guesses as to what was sitting in the background of the door image above?

My NOS sunroof headliner guides arrived from Greece. Not technically correct for 64. Added in 65 but a good idea to keep the headliner clean and you cannot really see them so....

Big score was a set of pre-65 pop-outs. I was not looking forward to learning how to restore a set of these and i did not want reproductions. Most of the OG ones are either hammered or to much money.

These have been in someone attic for 30 years and they show. Super clean. Glass not all scratched up. All i have to do is replace the outer seal and clean them up a little. Also replace the knobs.

Last thing was i tore down the engine to the short block. This is an early 1200 with S/N close to my bug. I built it 20+ years ago. It may very well be a factory replacement from my Grandfather but i was too young to pay attention when i was 15 and i re-built it. The engine ran good 10 years ago but has always had a small oil leak. Was really hoping it was from the rear main seam but it is not. It is from the rear lower case. (second image)

Seems really clean otherwise as i took it apart. Cylinders still have some cross hatch. Unfortunate to have to split the case to solve the oil leak. Taking it to my engine guy this week to look it over. I hope all we need to do is split it open, clean it up and put it back together. (I cannot recall if i align bored it back in the day) I will probably have it balanced though and the heads looked over.

In the back of my mind i also want to be able to install my Judson someday too. Not now but someday so if i split the case then i want to do the work now to allow that later. I know Judson's were designed for the stock 1200 but why not help things out if that is down the road.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

is that an R2D2 head?!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
At the same time i noticed powder coat is also a lousy surface for stick-on wheel weights as they fell off. Not sure how i will fix that right now. Not sure who does old school weights and not sure i want them on the face of my rims anyways.

I haven't had any trouble just doing weights in the inside of my wheels for my Bus but obviously that's a lower top speed. The tire shop guys said it was fine.

People on here talk about the tire beads all the time - there are a bunch of threads/mentions about it.
Maybe an option? I haven't tried it.

matthew henricks wrote:
Finished my 3D printed radio buttons and painted them. They are the wrong color though so i may have to re-paint. Very pleased with fit and finish though. Made two sets.

Those look good to me!
Did it 3D print the inside where they clip on too?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Very good vwuberalles. One of my spare R2D2 heads. Working on a retracting Lightsaber door.

Everett. Thank you for the comments on the wheel weights. Will do some research. The radio knobs do have the correct insides to attach to the stock radio.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

How did you get your prints so smooth? Is it a Deglazing technique? They look really clean.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Old fashion body work. The printer does do a clean job but you still have to go in there with build primer to get out the waves. I kick around selling them but no-one wants to may for your time to make them smooth.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Speedo cable and engine work this week.

No matter how hard it tried i could not install the speedometer cable. Ended up kinking it. New one ordered.

Never knew how it was held in the spindle so time to find out. I have the earlier style which means a rubber ring and a steel collar. The collar pulled out easy enough and it was clear then that the rubber was all torn up which is why i had trouble.

bought the replacement part which is the later style with no steel collar. Cut that piece down to size and installed it. Still could not install the cable. OK. Put rubber and collar on speedo cable and install that way. Much easier.

Engine tear down. I build this engine 20 years ago and do not remember what i did. Was hoping to be able to build it up to accept a Judson later in life. Most of the parts look clean but the case is already at .075 over and is in need of another align bore.

So.... I am in need of a motor case date code to early 1964. Anyone know of one that has only one align bore on it?

Case was split due to oil leak.

Only about 5K miles on it since rebuild but i am pretty sure i did not align bore back then.

You can see the bearing lines on the case and on some i can catch my finger nail. Not ideal.

Anyways. As i said it looks like i need a new case. Sad

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Yeah I would use a case .75 over if you plan on driving it.

Theres plenty of 40 horser cases in the classifieds. Heres a close one.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2457658

Theres also a really nice ready to go vapor blasted 40hp case that has a hairline crack at the oil pump bore but I dont think it would harm anything.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2457658

It even has cam bearing bores
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Man, I have reached out to a few. Something will pan out.

If anyone reading this thread knows of good threads for a stock 1200 engine build with the aim of vintage performance please share. I am looking for guidance and someone who would answer a question or two as i go.

My plans right now are 100% stock:
- Look for a case that has no more than one align bore.
- Full balance of all moving parts including clutch.
- Cut for cam bearings.

Not planning to go crazy. Would consider a mild cam or alternate dizzy to augment installing a Judson down the road if i could find solid guidance.

I realize that that engines are not my strong suit but not afraid to learn. When i ran the Judson 20 years ago it ran incredible hot and destroyed the main bearings in under 1000 miles. I did nothing special to the motor for that excitement.

Anyways. Sure wish i had images of that.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

You can look at my vintage speed style 1385cc build thread to pick up a few ideas. I'm also getting ready to make a batch of 40hp correctly designed full flow covers if that interestes you.

I've done the Hoover mods
Larger 26mm oilpump gears
Full flow
Dynamically balanced
Cheater cam
1.1 rockers and solid shafts
Ported 40hp round boss heads with stud repair kit
Stock muffler
Dual 32 pdsit carbs

It's not together yet but I've got nearly all the parts. More info in my thread. Should be a nice tourqy engine.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Away for a few weeks so little progress of late.

No image but i got my small parts back from the paint shop. Tail lights, decklid hanger, etc. All that is left is the glove box door and sunroof panel.

On the Engine front i am trying to decipher my old motor bearing code to buy a new set. I am going to put it back together as a spare. The mid split bearing is marked with:

M 9 9
075 BC86

The "M" is a script M. Probably the maker mark and not a letter code. How do you decode this?

I am still looking for a new block for the bug. Nothing yet solid. I am looking at a motor that is already built. It is un-fired but no receipts on what was done. It looks clean but i need to see it in person. (I know it has an alternator, wrong tin and dizzy. I would not use those parts) Any guidance on how to check out the motor? I have access to a boroscope. It is supposed to be fresh built stock with a big bore kit.

This weekend i will "finish" the pan and switch over to body assembly. Motor will wait.

I got some solid white with black dot head liner material. Going to see if it is close enough to use around the rear window. I will also investigate replacing the front panel of the main sunroof as it was originally solid. We will see.

I did some work on the Sperrwolf shifter lock. I bought a WW reproduction and took it apart. I was hoping to salvage parts from the WW to rebuild the OG.

The main parts i was after were the lock cylinder, key cover and lock plates. Below are some images. I have yet to switch the lock cylinder around but i think it will work.

Housing with WW lock plates installed. WW parts identical.

Put together

Ignition interface. These are totally different between the two but interchangeable.

Lock Cylinder. Same key profile and interchangeable but the tumbler holes are different sizes

Cylinder housing. Very similar.

More later but i think it will work.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

measure the main bores and thrust width and youll know what size you need. the numbers on the bearings can be incorrect.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Took some case measurements today.

Thrust width. .866. 21.99mm
Case rear. 2.577”. 65.46mm
Case mid. 2.572”. 65.33mm
Case front. 2.582”. 65.58mm
Crank rear 2.137”. 54.28mm
Crank mid. 2.136”. 54.25mm

The case Measurements were a challenge. Most confidence with the rear case measurement.

Measurements taken with case together and the 6 main bolts tight using a snap gauge and micrometer.

What do i do with this to identify a new set of bearings?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

With thanks to TheSamba team on Facebook i got an education in sizing main bearings based on measurements.

Standard case is 2.559"
2.559" - 2.577" = .018" meaning my case has been cut .020"

Standard crank is 2.165"
2.165" - 2.137" = .028" meaning my crank has been ground .030"

Thrust is .866"
.866" - .866" = 0 meaning my thrust is stock.

VW part number for this is 111198477.

This means my case is nowhere near as cut as i thought. I was lead to believe it was .075" over. I could align bore it again but for now i will not. I will still seek out a case with a closer production number. In the meantime i will put new bearings in this case and put it back together. I will either run it while i look for the right case or keep it as a back-up.

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Long weekend. Family, celebrating and working on the bug. Good weekend.

The chassis is done! Well as done as i can take it right now. Of course i need a motor and all the parts that go on after the body is mounted but for now it is done. Very pleased with the results. The only part of it that may come back to bite me are the rear torsion arms. Not confidant they are set right...

Got the final painted part from the body shop.

Brought the body home. I think i have room in the driveway for the chassis, body and single cab so we will try to get progress done without sending the chassis into storage. The body was down the street. Quite a scene pushing it down the road. Redneck all the way.

Started installing parts. Really i am stalling though for the headliner. I do not know how to do that so i am researching and getting up the gumption.

I will be using a TMI kit. Pulled it out to look it over. Watching all of Classicvwbugs.com videos and doing my research. Chris has some very useful stuff. I got a hold of some solid white headliner material with black dots. Was kicking around modifying the TMI headliner to change out the rear window and front top for the solid material but not close enough color wise. Will stick with TMI for now.

Installed with rubber seals and the wire harness.

Did some more work on the Sperrwolf shift lock. Figured out the tumbler and key set-up i needed and put it together. 90% the way there and boom! My tools slipped, the assembly went flying and launched 5 springs and 10 tumblers all over the garage. All i could do was walk away...

After i calmed down i was able to find 8 of the tumblers and 3 of the springs.

Soo.... I pulled out my bag of lock parts and started over. Turns out the vintage springs are similar enough but the tumblers are not. Vintage ones are larger in diameter. Hmmm.... Time to make my own i guess. I took some KnS brass rod that was .096" (original was 2.5mm or .098") and cut and filed two tumblers. Worked great. (Can you tell which two in the second image below???)

Put the assembly together and tested it. All is good. ( I think i need to do a seperate thread on the Sperrwolf adventure...)

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Fantastic work! Keep at it.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

A good weekend of progress. Honestly i am stalling. Working my way towards the headliner which honestly is a big hurdle for me. Watching ever Chris Valone video and reading threads. Using a TMI kit. Bought the WW padding kit but will NOT use it. Sorry but not what i was expecting... Sad

Finished my Sperrwolf shifter. Made a repair to the upper housing, finished the key conversion and figured out how to move the spring cover from the WW repro unit over to the original. Very pleased with results. (Repair was a cracked out ledge. JB weld with huge dam behind for strength. If it does not work then i will braze it)

Re-flocked the dash mesh and build out some dash stuff. New for me but turned out fantastic!

Installed all of my sound deadening material. Very impressed with this stuff. I am using three different styles. I put it all over the package shelf, rear fenders, rear quarter panels, front doors and sunroof panel. I am chicken to put it on the roof right now for fear it would not stay put with thermal cycling.

1. 3M. This is what i used on the chassis because it is true black and has the diamond pattern. I had some left over.
2. Noico black. This only because it did not work for the chassis and i had it.
3. Home Depot roofing aluminum back. Cheap and works well.

Engine compartment coming along. Kicking myself for tossing the old panels even though they were ripped. Anyone have good images of 63/65 original ones? Trying to replicate the holes for the wires.

Some truck work and the wire harness is 80% installed.

What is the opinion on front windows? No way to get a OEM or NOS. Reading all kinds of horror stories about the Chinese ones available at most vendors.

What about the ones that Kaefer-Nostalgie?

[/url]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2445838[url]

Correct 5mm with logo but tempered. Not US spec. My but is US spec euro delivery. Anyone use these? Any other options?[/url]

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

Looking good! Any thoughts on going with a front safari window?
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Great Grandpa’s 1964 Sunroof Bug Full Stock Restoration Reply with quote

WOW the 64 is looking great! I have been following this thread since you started, love it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 29

Jump to: