Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to replace manifold rubber boot
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichilengua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: How to replace manifold rubber boot Reply with quote

How do you replace the manifold boot does anybody know how to thanks guys, with out taking the manifold off thanks again guys...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone saying they make split boots, but i've never seen them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Split Boots Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D9960

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried those split boots (I've got an aftermarket manifold with one boot) but admit I would try one if I had that situation, would save a lot of work, if it was OK. Maybe people here can post their hands-on experience with them.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this last weekend using the stock-style boots. To use this style of boot you don't have to completely remove the manifold but you do have to loosen it. It's not hard but takes a fair amount of time.

- remove hoses from fan and air cleaner to breast plate
- remove heat riser insulation covers
- remove breast plate
- remove four heat riser bolts from muffler (sometimes the bolts on the one hot side will be rusty, use PB Blaster. my left side's were rusted)
- remove nuts on left side intake manifold casting
- remove nut at center bottom of intake manifold center section
- loosen the four band clamps holding on the rubber boots
- slip rubber boots off the castings, toward the center. use a large screwdriver to coax them free if necessary
- remove left intake manifold casting. you might have to jiggle it
- slide center section an inch or so to the left to clear the right manifold casting
- remove old rubber boots
- install new boots, don't forget the band clamps!

As they say, installation is the reverse. You should use a new metal gasket under the manifold casting and if necessary, new gaskets between the muffler and heat risers. In retrospect it might have been worth it to try the split style, but I've heard they are tougher to make a good seal.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct but I'll add it is a lot easier to just cut the old boots off 1st than fight them up the manifold.

If I was stranded on the side of the road, I'd use a split boot to get me home. After that I'd fix it right., that's about how good they are, duct tape would probably get you home too and last about as long.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:
I just did this last weekend using the stock-style boots. To use this style of boot you don't have to completely remove the manifold but you do have to loosen it. It's not hard but takes a fair amount of time.

- remove breast plate
- remove four heat riser bolts from muffler (sometimes the bolts on the one hot side will be rusty, use PB Blaster. my left side's were rusted)
- slip rubber boots off the castings, toward the center. use a large screwdriver to coax them free if necessary
- slide center section an inch or so to the left to clear the right manifold casting

As they say, installation is the reverse. You should use a new metal gasket under the manifold casting and if necessary, new gaskets between the muffler and heat risers. In retrospect it might have been worth it to try the split style, but I've heard they are tougher to make a good seal.

Ok rookie engine guy here......be gentle Very Happy

I'm finally getting around to replacing my ripped boots (patched with aluminum tape). I'm stuck here. I have everything disconnected except the left side manifold casting. Where are the nuts and how do you get to them to remove it??

mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nuts are located on either end of the casting, one front and one back. The back one you should be able to see, the front one is tougher. You may be able to see it if you stand up and look between the top of the deck lid and the rear glass. Regardless, you'll want a 13mm universal socket plus at least 12" of extensions on your socket wrench. When reinstalling the casting, use a new gasket under it and torque the nuts to 14 ft lb.

Like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see where the nut would be on this image. The other one is on the other side...

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the split type on my 1600DP in my '56 when I first got it and they worked fine. The split had kind of a puzzle piece connection. I sprayed carb cleaner around them from time to time and they never showed any sign of leaks. I did replace them with the original type when I rebuilt the engine a year later. I kept them just in case of a road side emergency.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS!-found them hiding behind the spark plug wires Embarassed

gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know its an old topic, but it gave me the info I needed to get mine replace. Even with my fat fingers and a belly full of TGiving dinner, It only took about 1/2 hour to put a pair in. Took off the aircleaner, and a couple heater hoses and it was a snap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
farmersemail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: did you use the split ones? Reply with quote

gleason wrote:
Well, I know its an old topic, but it gave me the info I needed to get mine replace. Even with my fat fingers and a belly full of TGiving dinner, It only took about 1/2 hour to put a pair in. Took off the aircleaner, and a couple heater hoses and it was a snap.
gleason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I used the split ones.
abarefootpoet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gleason wrote:
BTW, I used the split ones.

I bought a '71 super beetle in California, put all our stuff from a 26' Winnebago and drove back to Chattanooga. Everything worked great on the trip. But after being back a few weeks my car started dying at stops, high pitch whisking sound, etc. Yesterday while performing some tune up tasks I noticed the left boot cracked.

I'm not a skilled mechanic, just know the basic stuff and am good at following YouTube videos, my question is, has anyone who used the split boot kit had good reliable results? I want something that can hold and do well for at least 6 months until I have the time and/or funds to do the job right.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:

- remove breast plate

Thanks for this. Helped me greatly do this repair for the first time.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildBillP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace manifold rubber boot Reply with quote

My alternator died and I tore the right boot disconnecting intake. (1776 dual port w/single 40mm Weber) Ordered both sets of boots, red ones and split. Split showed up yesterday so I am in reassemble mode. Am not happy with the split boot. It looks like there is still a 1/16" or so gap in the split. I am going to finish and start it up and use carb cleaner to see if it's leaking. Will not be happy if I have to drop motor and do this again, but I want to get it back on the road.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace manifold rubber boot Reply with quote

Bill, according to the information on this thread, you don’t have pull the engine to replace the manifold bolts. Look above.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to replace manifold rubber boot Reply with quote

If you're forced to use split boots try to position the clamps so the ends are drawn together when tightened. This pic shows how to do it for axle boots but same principle applies:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
H!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnussbau wrote:

- remove breast plate

This was sooooo helpful- years after it was written! Thank you.

When selecting new boots, I have three choices

Black rubber
Orange Silicone
Red urethane

Black looks better but any advice?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to replace manifold rubber boot Reply with quote

A few years back, I bought the black ones from Wolfsburg West. My research indicated that they were the least likely to crack. Empi red were especially apt to crack in a short time.

I’ve put about two thousand miles on the car since then, and the black WW boots are cracking. So, hopefully, someone else can come along and give you some better news about any non-Empi boots.

The thing is, these Wolfsburg West boots were supposed to be the best available, and my engine never gets too hot, so I’m a little pissed that in the near future, I’m going to have to redo the manifold boots again.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: