Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1965 Sunroof Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
red-ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 Sunroof Beetle Build Reply with quote

Next, I decided to replace the shocks, since they were looking pretty rough, and restore the wheels.

They all were different colors and rusty. Most of the hubcap clips were missing too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Walmart dismounted and disposed of all 4 tires for $6.50 total. The person ringing me up had some trouble doing it, and I think they don't normally dismount and dispose for people who aren't buying tires from them.

I had my friend Kevin sandblast and paint them for me. This is after sandblasting.

Primer

Painting

Done!

I had some Nexen 165/80R15s mounted up. I spent about 4 hours polishing the rusty hubcaps. They look okay, but I'll probably swap them out for better ones in the future.

The shocks were shot. The right rear shock body was rusted in half, and the shock was held on with a lug nut. I had a really hard time getting a replacement nut locally, it was an uncommon metric size. Both of the front shocks were seized on the lower studs. I melted the bushing out, pulled the shock off, then heated the sleeves with a torch and worked them free with a vise grip.

I had a heck of a time getting the passenger upper shock bolt out. Eventually got it after using a breaker bar with a pipe, and the impact a bunch of times.

Here's the new ones.

I also found out that my driver's side kingpin is junk, so I'll be doing those and wheel bearings soon. I ordered the parts last night. Still need to track down a reamer. Anyone got any tips on doing them?

Link
red-ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 Sunroof Beetle Build Reply with quote

I took the bug for it's first real drive back in May. I ran out of gas almost immediately haha. The gauge was on empty when I bought the car, and I just assumed it was broken, and I forgot to check the fuel before I left. After getting rescued and filling back up, the car drove great.

I putted around town for a little bit, and then decided to take a short (30 minute) road trip to a car show the next weekend! I am happy to report that it actually ran pretty well, and made it there and back.

Since then, I've road tripped the car 75 miles home to my parents, and have driven it around town a bunch. I still need to do the kingpins, and need to get some of the lights working. My dome light, gauges, and left taillight don't light up!

Here's the next video. This is basically where I am at now.

Link

Tonight I installed a new mirror. The pear shaped one that was on there kinda sucked, and was chipped. I like this one much better! I bought a passenger mirror too, but forgot to buy the mounting kit. So I'll have to get that one done later.

red-ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1965 Sunroof Beetle Build Reply with quote

I replaced the king pins, link pins, and tie rod assemblies last week.

Here's mid disassembly

The old king pins were pretty worn out

I had someone local sand blast, paint, ream and assemble the spindles for me. Pretty sure they are members on here.

While I had the front apart, I replaced the wheel bearings and seals, and had the drums turned. They were pretty bad.

In the rear, I noticed I had a blown wheel cylinder, and then saw how bad these brake shoes were. The guy who sold me the bug said he decided not to do them, since they looked fine to him. He also gave me a new set of rear shoes, but they were too wide, and I had to buy the right set.

I also patched the huge hole I had in the driver's floor.

I know this isn't the right way to do this, but I don't want to replace the heater channels right now.

Still better than a big hole in the floor. The car drives much straighter now, but still doesn't stop the best. The brake pedal needs to be pumped to get good pressure. It's been like that since I bought the car. I have thoroughly bled the brakes now, so I think I have a bad seal in the master that is letting air in somehow.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My 1965 Sunroof Beetle Build Reply with quote

Good progress. Rims look fantastic. Bet you drive better now with a rebuilt front end too.

PM sent regarding headliner.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: