Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NLA Panels update?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if NLA has responded to our “ comments” about their interior wood panels warping in drier climates, and added changes to their production process to improve the product? I am going to need to replace the NLA panels the PO put on our Westy that warped ( and rolled up!) 3 months later after we bought the bus! Thanks, Bob
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

Not that I’ve heard of.

I have some of their panels but I haven’t installed them. The back of the panels is very cheap plywood. I was planning on sealing them first before installing them but I think I read that that doesn’t help.

I should add; in wood working it’s common practice to apply a veneer to the back of a panel to help reduce warping. I wonder it you could add a cheap laminate to the back of the panel, although it would increase its thickness slightly.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

I’ve read everything i could find in the forums, and from what i’ve read you are correct. I am thinking the solution just might be to get some 3/16” plywood at home depot, find the” latest and greatest” laminate to be an acceptable match to the laminate on the cabinets ( not the over priced NLA stuff.... there are other very close options) glue it to the plywood and do a really first class finishing job on it. Really like the OEM look of their product, just wish they’d get it right.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
I’ve read everything i could find in the forums, and from what i’ve read you are correct. I am thinking the solution just might be to get some 3/16” plywood at home depot, find the” latest and greatest” laminate to be an acceptable match to the laminate on the cabinets ( not the over priced NLA stuff.... there are other very close options) glue it to the plywood and do a really first class finishing job on it. Really like the OEM look of their product, just wish they’d get it right.

If you don’t laminate the back you’ll likely have the same problem. You don’t have to use the same laminate on both sides but you’ll need something.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

And... then another option is to use the same stuff i used on my kick panels I just made . I think it is called “ pressboard”. This would solve the warping problem, the thickness with the laminate glued on would be 3/16” or even a little less.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

And... then another option is to use the same stuff i used on my kick panels I just made . I think it is called “ pressboard”. This would solve the warping problem, the thickness with the laminate glued on would be 3/16” or even a little less.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

wish i had taken photos now....

working on a vanagon now and the panels on the slider/hatch/long wall had a basket weave 'wallpaper' on it much like the late bay headliner.

on the back side of the panels had this crazy "wall paper" that had strands/thread running in it, much like reinforced packing tape.

it for sure was factory, no doubts there. i have to wonder if it was to help with the panels warping

i literally just brought the old ones to the dump otherwise i would have snapped a pic

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

So I decided to write an email to the Bus Depot. They wrote me back that they are not aware of any production changes in the panels as of when my email was received. So, I am not going to purchase. I will work out the pressboard backing with laminate surface. Just need to find out who has samples . My local HD does not have any wood style samples. They said, “ go and look online”. Just hate it when I get that response. Bob
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: NLA Panels update? Reply with quote

Here are my 5 cents.

I bought only one panel from NLA VW and it was the rear hatch panel.
Yes initially as moisture changed the panel warped. But as time went by the panel is now nice and flat and I have not seen any changes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: