Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cheap engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Cheap engine Reply with quote

Have a nearly new set of Mahle 85.5 forged pigeons 2_good blocks plus block in car . Don't know what motor in car is bought whole car motor stuck but could tell by looking it was new. Unstuck motor best running single port I have ever had .Just want to juice one up a little thinking a c25 of a100 cam dual ports with a little work . Need carb recommendations single stock carb progressive 2 barrel or dual kadrons remember I'm wanting cheap.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

Stick with what you have and enjoy it. That is as cheap as it gets! The chase for more power, especially on a budget leads down a rabbit hole that is endless. Cheap is the most expensive you can ever buy there! Doing it right the first time will blow you budget in a heart beat but you will only have to do it once.

Take it from a guy that has been doing cheap all his life.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

Quote:
forged pigeons 2_good blocks plus block in car
Following oprn's advise, sounds like your situation is a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Smile Embarassed
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

I know that's what I need to do .I am now 60yrs old been working on these things since my Daddy would put me in kitchen chair to start nut on top of engine. I have been down that road your talking about Lol. I am real curious as to what is the little single port it's stout for what it is . I just have a bunch of parts laying around is why I am doing this anyway .
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

Juicing up an aircooled motor is never gunna be cheap. The performance gains per dollar aren't good. Best performance gain per dollar that you could feel on the 1st drive would be to take that 1500 to at least 1776. Even keeping the single port heads and doing some modifications to the original carb.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

I just sold a '69 Bay Window last winter (Yes I regret it but something has to go) with a 1600 SP just like you are talking about. VW claimed 65 mph top speed but this one went 75 mph right off the dealer lot. When it expired early as all Bus engines do Dad put a factory replacement in. Yup 65 mph topped out just as VW said.

I rebuilt the original and put it in my Super Beetle and proceeded to blow every dual port Beetle out of the water. I have no idea what was different in that engine.

That was the engine I sold it with (stupid me!) and the buyer said he would bring a 1600 DP to put in it for the drive home. I told him not to waste his time and money as it would lose performance if he did. He laughed in my face but did as I told him. Well - he phoned me back after taking it 15 hours through the mountain passes and told me I was right. It does do 75 mph on the flat!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

If you have any fabrication skills go to the auto wreckers and get a hair dryer off a small 4 cylinder, some 1 3/8 and 1 1/2" mandrill U bends and put that on your stock engine. Limit it to 5 or 6 PSI boost and enjoy the biggest boot in the pants/dollar your money will ever buy! That will far far exceed anything you have even thought about doing up to this point.
RWilliamsga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheap engine Reply with quote

My plan is to build a 1776 later on . Right now all I need to buy is bearings cam lifters oil pump so it's not gonna be a big dollar amount .On dual carbs most people seem to have endless problems with them I don't need that headache. Years ago I used Holley bug sprays with no problems you just can't find them then I read all the head aches with progressive 2 barrels too much work for me I think I will stick to stock carb and rejet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: