Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks!
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JupiterTheEurovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

I have a Eurovan 2003 that only gives me trouble. I am now stuck in Wyoming during a limited time road trip. It’s Sunday so no mechanic is open until tomorrow. The weird thing is it was working last 1000 miles no problem. I dispersed camped last night. For the first time I tried shifting to 1,2,3rd gear in prep for the pass. It was hard to pull the shifter into 1st and had to really yank. I then switched it to D and continued on the freeway. I pulled over for a viewpoint and ate some breakfast. I then tried to turn the car on and it would not turn the engine. The only click is the one disengaging the shifter. No clicking of the starter. The car is in park and I can shift the car through the gears. The lights and radio turn on. The engine is silent. I have limited tools.

What should I check first? Fuses? Starter? Ignition?

I opened the shifter box and everything looks ok.
EVCSNOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

Try starting the Van in neutral
JupiterTheEurovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

Tried to start on neutral, does not start.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

If the linkage is messed up it’s almost certainly the safety switch is also messed up. You will have to disassemble it and jump it to get rolling.

That’s not a you tube-able process, so if you don’t know that subsystem or lack tools and time it’s flat bed time.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

Regarding the multi-function switch on the transmission, does the display on the instrument cluster accurately report every gear selected on the shifter?

I don't think electrickery works that way
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

Passenger seat rotated forward?
SocalSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Won’t start, lights and radio turn on, no clicks! Reply with quote

Maybe broken ignition switch/cylinder. The tab broke on my lock cylinder, which is a common problem. My electricals worked but wouldn't turn over the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: