Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust Goop.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

Hi guys have any of you used this product? I want to use it on my pans that have just a little surface rust, before I paint them with POR-15. The instructions say to put it on the surface let it sit and then wipe it off, a little later the instructions say it can also be rinsed off with water. The body is still on the pan my question is can this be used without rinsing the pans with water? Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I think we used to call this "naval jelly." Assuming so, these notes are on the web: "Naval jelly does this by converting rust to a soluble iron compound that you can rinse off with water. It's effective because its main ingredient is phosphoric acid, which is one of the few acids capable of doing this. Other stronger acids corrode the metal and end up creating more rust."
So I would recommend rinsing.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I used this. You brush it on and it converts the rust back to metal and encapsulate it. Once it dries, it forms a hard surface and you apply paint over it.

Just wear a respirator and be well ventilated.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40071580/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I would suggest you read the instructions for using Por-15 over again.

My understanding is that it is best applied right over the rust. Clean the metal too much and it may not adhere or work as intended.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info, I will check with the POR-15 people for details.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

The second step of the POR15 does the same job as the Permatex product you show. You don’t need the Permatex if you use all three steps of the POR15 system. However if you have loose and flaking rust you should remove this by sanding or wire brushing.

The steps are:

1. Wash with a degreasing solution
2. Convert the rust and provide a key for the paint
3. Encapsulate the rust with a moisture cured polyurethane

I think MS and KBS use similar systems.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I've used POR15's Marine Clean and One-Step, it depends on how bad the rust it. If the metal is solid with little flake, use the Marine Clean. If it's pitted use the One-Step... it dries and leaves a VERY hard surface.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I also would re read the POR directions. This stuff is SUPER picky about application, and IMO just way way overhyped. I've had way better luck with ospho followed by epoxy primer and 2K black topcoat. Again with ospho directions must be followed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

I fail to see how encapsulating rust is superior to removing it.

If it is truly just surface rust I don't see how using this product would prevent any paint from adhering. I would use a wire brush before rinsing the gell off to make sure you get as much of the rust as possible. If there is any worry about the paint having enough "tooth" to adhere to, then sand the area after it has dried.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
I fail to see how encapsulating rust is superior to removing it.

When you remove it you make the metal weaker.

Converters leave the metal stronger.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust Goop. Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas guys, I am going with the POR-15. They offer a kit that has the all 3 items in it to complete the job, I used just straight POR-15 "paint" when I did my bus 5 or 6 years ago and it came out great. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: