Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Chickensoup, I know what he was asking.

That is, in his words "Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles "

He wants to build a T-1 to 200,k or more with good performance.

Well I gave him the blueprint. VW being the largest car company in the world put it's engineers on it and they came up with the T-4.

You don't have to buy one.

As for Heads failing on T-4's Remember we are talking the Engine in a Light Bug. NOT a two ton Bus, or 411 or 412 or 914 or 912E

Yes All except the bus I can say will do 200k

Why is my bug well above 200k maybe 400k is because it is the lightest of all the above, 1700 lbs, No back seat, no insulation and rarely a front seat passenger. Point to point 70 miles a day at 65 to 70 mph all the way. My I weight 155 lbs.

What did VW do to reach and go beyond your goal is right in front of you.

If you want to melt some Aluminum and start from "0" It is up to you.
............................................................................................................................... i finely know why your posting about the type4 motors .i looked under this performance /engines/ trans forums . i typed in type 4 motor builds . what came up was one page starting at 2005 ending at 2021 only 3 post for 2021 that tells me no one cares about type 4 motor builds on samba. now are you done high jacking this forum . i am sure your a nice person good luck to you on your type 4 builds spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
. . . The other thought was to put a seal in the rear of the case and devise a proper positive crankcase ventilation (PVC) system. The stock system just kinda hopes the evaporated condensation will find it way out of the case. . .

I can vouch for that. I came up with an air/oil separation system for mine and it always surprises me how much water vapor gets removed from the oil that normally would just be sitting in the bottom of the case.

This is what gets removed from the oil after two weeks of driving in the winter:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
EVfun wrote:
. . . The other thought was to put a seal in the rear of the case and devise a proper positive crankcase ventilation (PVC) system. The stock system just kinda hopes the evaporated condensation will find it way out of the case. . .

I can vouch for that. I came up with an air/oil separation system for mine and it always surprises me how much water vapor gets removed from the oil that normally would just be sitting in the bottom of the case.

This is what gets removed from the oil after two weeks of driving in the winter:

................................................................................................................... wow i learned some thing new . i was shocked at all the water thats in the oil . may i ask how you made your water separation system ? thanks spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Just Google catch can. It’s on every automotive forum as a must have thing to do. If it was so good it would be OEM or aftermarket would be all over it.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
nextgen wrote:

That is, in his words "Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles "

Well I gave him the blueprint. VW being the largest car company in the world put it's engineers on it and they came up with the T-4.

As for Heads failing on T-4's Remember we are talking the Engine in a Light Bug. NOT a two ton Bus, or 411 or 412 or 914 or 912E

Why is my bug well above 200k maybe 400k is because it is the lightest of all the above, 1700 lbs, No back seat, no insulation and rarely a front seat passenger. Point to point 70 miles a day at 65 to 70 mph all the way. My I weight 155 lbs.

............................................................................................................................... i finely know why your posting about the type4 motors .i looked under this performance /engines/ trans forums . i typed in type 4 motor builds . what came up was one page starting at 2005 ending at 2021 only 3 post for 2021 that tells me no one cares about type 4 motor builds on samba. now are you done high jacking this forum . i am sure your a nice person good luck to you on your type 4 builds spencerfvee

This thread has really developed into a popcorn one . Spencerfvee , at the start you did not specify a type 1 only engine , the title has now been edited , As for being rude , I think it's a more coming from people bashing others for mentioning Type 4 's . That is why I wrote the comment about some people seem a little precious . It was meant tongue in cheek .
You mentioned type 4's sound terrible , can you explain how 2 engines of the same basic design and firing order can sound different ? I'm at a loss on that one .
my 2.6 Ghia , is in the region of 200hp , it runs a CB2300 cam , yet idles at 800 rpm , because of the displacement .the car has AC and is driven as my main daily driver , 30,000km in 3 years in city traffic in tropical summer temperatures . CHT's have never gone over 150C ,that includes idling in traffic jams for extended periods . Show me any type 1 engine that can do that without having exotic heads like JPM's etc .
The same friend the Formula Vee guy that got +300k kms from his wife's 1640 cc also got 200K km from a swipe the floor 2lt type 4 in a very heavy Dual Cab with second hand heads,The dual cab has extra tricks to cool the heads that can and are applied to Type 1's by people who know how to make an engine last .But I still doubt a 2007cc type 1 would have put up with the abuse for very long .

Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise on single port heads. Where are the heads from aircooled.net and AA Performance cast. I don't want any Chinese products.

20 + years ago I bought some new VW of Mexico single port heads and also some NOS VW german single port heads. The Mexican heads are not very good quality (pretty terrible actually) and the German heads would need hardened valve seats. Getting any engine machine work done in this part of the world is extremely difficult especially air cooled engines - air cooled what?

I don't want to go through the machining excercise - fit straight out of the box.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Spencerfvee , at the start you did not specify a type 1 only engine , the title has now been edited

...And this is why I don’t like that members can edit the title of their thread, after the fact.

My$0.02.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Wreck wrote:
Spencerfvee , at the start you did not specify a type 1 only engine , the title has now been edited

...And this is why I don’t like that members can edit the title of their thread, after the fact.

My$0.02.

we cant after a certain amount of time. With all due respect Everett probably doesnt want more title alter request than what he gets.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

In Spencers 2nd post he states that he should have said Type 1. Its not edited. Give the guy a break. You can see what he means, and its his thread.
Human car guy nature. He is posting 200k not cause he is gonna go on 50 cross country marathons, he is asking it it to get ideas and gain insight to help in his own builds, weather he drives 200k or not.

Because he asked nicely once, and as people kept bringing up type 4 engines he seen the need to change the title. Again, give the guy a break, that was thke proper thing to do. He also had to get a little "obvious" and less tactful when people right essays and keep posting type 4 stuff. People like what they like. It doesnt matter that some aspects of a type 4 make more sense, same as it doesnt matter that a $1500 toyota makes more sense. We are in the hobby as a hobby, choose what we like regardless of its downfaults and have fun with it.

spencerfvee wrote:
ok guys i should have said only a type 1 motor build .in 1973 when i worked at a vw dealer ship the 1967 vw bugs had the most miles on them from 90,000 to 120,000 to 140,000 to 160,000 . one lady had 160 miles on a 67 bug and your right she needed one valve job at 100,000 miles . its all ways been the valve guides not holding up in air cooled motors back in the 1960s and 1970s . and thats with leaded gas guys . the biggest killer there was of a vw air cooled motor was dropped exhaust valves . . vw bugs back in the 1960 1970s were work cars that a lot of guys drove to work .and they were the last to get fixed . all so if a guy runs the dog shit out of a vw air cooled motor its not going to last
i dont care how you build a stock motor lol lol over the years when i was young and dumb i killed a lot of vw air cooled motors . i thought every vw bug i had was a race car .spencerfvee

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Can i get an Amen for my brutha jpaull? Laughing

i think spencervee has been more polite than 98% of the people on this forum including myself and deserves the same respect back.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Jpaull

No one was trying to sell T-4. Just explaining what a T-4 can do being the closest engine to a T-1 and learn from the experienced engineers on the subject VW.

I have sold thousands of my manual world wide since 1992. I have very happy T-4 friends like Wreck and Vanapplebomb that also are trying to explain the advantages of T-4, not to sell it but to use as a guide.

This forum is about helping each other, that is what we are trying to do. Obviously he has something against T-4 and does not want to take advantage of our experiences.

Wreck
Vanapplebomb

Chickensoup
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

NextGen, there was a point when the original posters message should have been clear regarding his desire to consider type 4's, that was 5 pages ago.

Type 1 enthusiest dont care if a type 4 can go a million miles, its not where our passion is and what we enjoy.

How bout if someone came into every 1 of your zillion random threads and suggested u drop that low horsepower boat anchor and convert to type 1? And they kept on it for 5 pages? Complete with Engineering style essays and vw sources? Then, they told you after your 5 rejections that you dont want a type 1 "jeeze, the guy must have something against type 1's"
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: If you were to build a stock vw motor to last 200,000 miles Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
In Spencers 2nd post he states that he should have said Type 1. Its not edited. Give the guy a break. You can see what he means, and its his thread.
Human car guy nature. He is posting 200k not cause he is gonna go on 50 cross country marathons, he is asking it it to get ideas and gain insight to help in his own builds, weather he drives 200k or not.

Because he asked nicely once, and as people kept bringing up type 4 engines he seen the need to change the title. Again, give the guy a break, that was thke proper thing to do. He also had to get a little "obvious" and less tactful when people right essays and keep posting type 4 stuff. People like what they like. It doesnt matter that some aspects of a type 4 make more sense, same as it doesnt matter that a $1500 toyota makes more sense. We are in the hobby as a hobby, choose what we like regardless of its downfaults and have fun with it.

spencerfvee wrote:
ok guys i should have said only a type 1 motor build .in 1973 when i worked at a vw dealer ship the 1967 vw bugs had the most miles on them from 90,000 to 120,000 to 140,000 to 160,000 . one lady had 160 miles on a 67 bug and your right she needed one valve job at 100,000 miles . its all ways been the valve guides not holding up in air cooled motors back in the 1960s and 1970s . and thats with leaded gas guys . the biggest killer there was of a vw air cooled motor was dropped exhaust valves . . vw bugs back in the 1960 1970s were work cars that a lot of guys drove to work .and they were the last to get fixed . all so if a guy runs the dog shit out of a vw air cooled motor its not going to last
i dont care how you build a stock motor lol lol over the years when i was young and dumb i killed a lot of vw air cooled motors . i thought every vw bug i had was a race car .spencerfvee

Lol. I agree. Its Spencer's thread so he can do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned. If I didn't like it I could just post my own question that included the parameters I wanted. Laughing

The time limit is a well designed feature.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

I get it , it's Spencers thread but I guess I react (must be precious ) when pooled in with the "Porsche wanna be posers" or people saying the engines are crap. Any way back to information Spencer would want to read .

Because of the engine below I normally don't get sucked into the type4 verses type 1 engine life arguments because I believe the owner , builder/maintainer has more to do with it than any design difference when NOT used in a HEAVY bus .

my friends 1640 that did over 300,000km , did it with only 1 head rebuild , reason was a sucked in manifold gasket causing a burnt valve . familiar story .So sorry Clatter how would you like your hat , raw or cooked Laughing Laughing

this engine was built in the late eighties ,so no cheap parts . standard German crank just everything balanced . It also did a lot of the miles with leaded fuel and an upper cylinder lubricate system . That would explain how the valves /guides lasted . It also had a bypass Franz filter .

I read a build thread being done for someone by Ray Valero (RIP) a long time ago , he used to drill pushrods to make sprinklers , this also lubes the guides and cools the valve springs , it also adds oil temperature so an extra cooler would be in order if living in a hot country .
I think small things and a lot of attention to detail , like a tight even deck , balancing then very regular servicing , quality oil and as mentioned never run to hot or too cold .

That 1640 was removed , the case, crank ,cam and flywheel were reused and the heads rebuild , it is now used as a non spec engine in a Formula Vee for club type events , drags etc .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PgoaCACVA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-zi8YrQ5jU

The second clip shows the Vee , the number 1 car number means it was the State Champion the season before . The guy can really build a engine , Type 1 or 4 , horses for course and no prejudice , just the right engine for the application .
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
nextgen wrote:

This thread has really developed into a popcorn one . Spencerfvee , at the start you did not specify a type 1 only engine , the title has now been edited , As for being rude , I think it's a more coming from people bashing others for mentioning Type 4 's . That is why I wrote the comment about some people seem a little precious . It was meant tongue in cheek .
You mentioned type 4's sound terrible , can you explain how 2 engines of the same basic design and firing order can sound different ? I'm at a loss on that one .
my 2.6 Ghia , is in the region of 200hp , it runs a CB2300 cam , yet idles at 800 rpm , because of the displacement .the car has AC and is driven as my main daily driver , 30,000km in 3 years in city traffic in tropical summer temperatures . CHT's have never gone over 150C ,that includes idling in traffic jams for extended periods . Show me any type 1 engine that can do that without having exotic heads like JPM's etc .
The same friend the Formula Vee guy that got +300k kms from his wife's 1640 cc also got 200K km from a swipe the floor 2lt type 4 in a very heavy Dual Cab with second hand heads,The dual cab has extra tricks to cool the heads that can and are applied to Type 1's by people who know how to make an engine last .But I still doubt a 2007cc type 1 would have put up with the abuse for very long .

................................................................................................................................you sir are a bully need a say any more spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

when i posted this forum . i made a mistake and did not say type 1 motor build later on i corrected my mistake . because i was only wanting type 1 motor builds .and i wanted feed back on type1 motor builds . why because there are all kinds of parts for the type 1 motor . the type 1 motor is like the small block chevy motor is to GM . the type1 motor the bread and butter motor . that brings in the money for VW parts Cos that sell air cooled type1 motor parts . and keeps air cooled vws a live . i never dreamed that when i posted this forum . i would upset the type 4 people . like i did . i asked them to stop high jacking my forum . it fell on deaf ears . they turned into bullies .and keep on posting how great type4 motors are .when no one wanted to here about there typ4 build . i could not be live how rude they were to me . and how rude they were to others that posted about how they would build a type1 motor . . i dont like getting into pissing contests . NO ONE WINS. when Evert B started the forums on the samba i think he wanted people that posted on forum .to get a long with each other . well i think Evert B would if he read my forum he would not be happy with the way the type4 people acted . the last thing i want is to have this forum locked down by the act of very small group of people that wanted to have there say on type 4 motor build . they acted like un wanted fools at a party . were every one at the party wanted them to leave . but they stayed any way and kept on making a fool of them selfs . spencerfvee my 1600cc dick landy super charged motor . that will go 300,000 miles joke

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

This Thread is a great example of why we need our own sections:

This section, as "General Performance/Engines/Transmissions"

Then seperate sections for Type 1 and Type 4

"Type 1 Performance Engine/builds"
"Type 4 Performance Engine/builds"

A person should be able to post a thread about their engine questions and not be bombarded with people trying to get them to switch to a different engine. Way to many threads have been cut short by bully personalities that come into every thread and post essays that fillibuster the thread till its death, or others that are so self absorbed posting their same pictures over and over that they cant see when someone is saying politily to GTFO.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

Spencerv, I hope you don't abandon the thread, I learn much from the relevant contributions. Hopefully the T4 aficionados have gotten the message and will allow you to continue sharing your T1 plans!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Spencerv, I hope you don't abandon the thread, I learn much from the relevant contributions. Hopefully the T4 aficionados have gotten the message and will allow you to continue sharing your T1 plans!
......................................................................................................................thanks. i just dont understand people now a days . i can understand how they love there type4 motors . but to try and force people over to there thinking on type 4 motors and then post photos of there type4 powerd vws i think there some times short a brick of a wall and . two and two dont make 4 lol. on there post . i call them me me me people lol lol joke i feal theres a lot of guys that want to post on how they would build a type1 motors hang in there i to hope there gone take care spencerfvee
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: you were to build a stock type 1 vw motor to go 200,000 miles Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
when i posted this forum . i made a mistake and did not say type 1 motor build later on i corrected my mistake . because i was only wanting type 1 motor builds .and i wanted feed back on type1 motor builds . why because there are all kinds of parts for the type 1 motor . the type 1 motor is like the small block chevy motor is to GM . the type1 motor the bread and butter motor . that brings in the money for VW parts Cos that sell air cooled type1 motor parts . and keeps air cooled vws a live . i never dreamed that when i posted this forum . i would upset the type 4 people . like i did . i asked them to stop high jacking my forum . it fell on deaf ears . they turned into bullies .and keep on posting how great type4 motors are .when no one wanted to here about there typ4 build . i could not be live how rude they were to me . and how rude they were to others that posted about how they would build a type1 motor . . i dont like getting into pissing contests . NO ONE WINS. when Evert B started the forums on the samba i think he wanted people that posted on forum .to get a long with each other . well i think Evert B would if he read my forum he would not be happy with the way the type4 people acted . the last thing i want is to have this forum locked down by the act of very small group of people that wanted to have there say on type 4 motor build . they acted like un wanted fools at a party . were every one at the party wanted them to leave . but they stayed any way and kept on making a fool of them selfs . spencerfvee my 1600cc dick landy super charged motor . that will go 300,000 miles joke

I say this with love, Sir. But your posts are extremely painful to read. It's not what you say, its how you format it. I'd rather read 100 Mark Tucker posts before yours..

nice supercharged motor!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: