Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking of dumping Google.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

for maps:

openstreetmap.org
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
DDG serves basic needs, been using it for 2 years. No onslaught of spooky ads reflecting conversations you has 5 minutes ago like Google ( with all devices "off").

This is the thing I find most creepy. And it's happened to me more than once. The last time it happened, I was in North Carolina visiting family. At the same time, an old friend of my sister and myself was visiting from Phoenix. We were walking from my sister's house to the hotel and we were talking about our kids getting ready to go to college, and remembering times when I used to live in Phoenix also.

The next time I opened the Google browser on my phone, there were multiple ads for Phoenix area colleges. I haven't lived in AZ for 15 years, and my daughter has no intention of going to an out of state school, so no search history.

So tell me they aren't listening.

And now who google gives you suggested responses to emails and texts.. how do they do that without a bit reading your emails?

They "save" all your photos for you, it's almost impossible to get that stuff turned off...

It's crazy intrusive.

I do NOT have FB, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or any other social media accounts. So I know who is spying on me.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Well, when you have to amend your mission statement with

Don’t be evil

There isn’t a lot left to say.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

You may have some malware installed on your device
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Basic Yahoo for my e-mail with ad-blocker. I read a map when I need a location. GPS always off. Not particularly paranoid , but since I have a choice why not lean on the side of privacy?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

thinking????? Shocked
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

flip phone and a paper map. atlas,, i can get anywhere i want to be. which is usually right here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
flip phone and a paper map. atlas,, i can get anywhere i want to be. which is usually right here.

Delorme puts NANObots in the paper which report your moves
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I have another creepy example.

Yesterday morning while texting with that Fn Xevin. I looked at a refi offer for my 2020 Tundra. The offer came from Credit Karma. After I closed the Creditkarma webpage. There was a new email in my primary email account for a refi offer from another site.

Fn creepy that every time I even look at anything on Chrome. I get email ads/offers that I didn't ask for. Nor do I want to receive.

The creepiness covers all Google connected devices. If I search on my phone. I get email offers for what I searched for.

Then there is the sync between my home computer and my work computer. On my personal computer. My bookmark bar matches my work computer.
IMO, these should never be connected. but alas they are. If I were to un-sync them I'll loose all my bookmarks on both units.
WTF?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
typ914 wrote:
You tube is one example.

YouTube is Google.

Hate to tell you... its too late. Just finish the Kool Aide, you'll feel better after.

And who says your "smart" appliances are not spying on you. Have Google or Alexa in your home... they're listening to you. And if you think the phone and cable companies are not spying on you... you already finished your Kool Aide.

That’s what I was saying YouTube will not you watch if you use Firefox of DDG.
Which is why I rarely go to YouTube.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

they are all spying on you. its not creepy. its just messed up. do what you can to not give them the info they seek. and as typ914 said just drink whats left in the cup.

most of its is marketing as you can tell. much of it is sold off as research. and the rest goes to the gov.

try looking up "how to leave a clean digital footprint" and you will find some good advice.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

DuckDuckGo & Adblocker Pro ring my chimes.

in Settings of your computer there should be a line item regarding tracking and/ or ads. turn those forkers off too!

any company that offers to help you really wants to help itself to your information.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I only use Google on the computer because my iPhone has Safari. I’m not sure if it’s Google based or not. I started getting ads recently too. I use gmail and YouTube all the time so probably from that because they spy on you I’m sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I neglected to mention. For browsers, I use Brave. https://brave.com/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Cruising the news today. I found the article pasted below.
It has links to Chrome Extensions that block ad trackers, third party cookie trackers and the like.
There's also a link to convert pages searched from http: to https:. This gets you a secure page, rather than an insecure one.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/browser-privacy-settin...MSF491fea7

I'm gonna do a search test in Chrome for something I never buy and see if the above extensions block ad trackers.

Let's see how this works out.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Huh!
I just searched for "Natural Dog Food" in Google Chrome.
First thing I noticed after installing the extensions above, there are no targeted ads.
Meaning, instead of the top search results being ads. They are from real vendor sites. Very Happy Cool Sweet!

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

pitargue, is Startpage a downloadable browser? I've never heard of, the email and browsers you posted but very cool to learn more. I use Apple Maps too and appears to be more accurate. I used to use Waze because users post debris or potholes which I miss. Our school janitor just told me his Waze app sent him on a wild-goose-chase (yup dating myself with that saying) so now I'll stick with the Apple Maps.

pitargue wrote:
Google has spooked me as well. Thus...

For search engines, I prefer DuckDuckGo, then StartPage.

For email, I have switched to ProtonMail.

For video, Rumble, but not nearly the amount of content. Hopefully, will change as more users jump on.

I use Apple Maps. Lately, I have found that Apple Maps is much more accurate and relevant than Google Maps. See https://www.wired.com/story/the-best-privacy-friendly-alternatives-to-google-maps/ for more alternatives.

Cool pitargue, a new browser. I use DuckDuckGo but I'd be interested to know what you think of Brave. Although I'm a Chrome user for school as we use Google Classroom for class work.

pitargue wrote:
I neglected to mention. For browsers, I use Brave. https://brave.com/

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

I keep picturing the guy at the secret data site who is monitoring my life and web browsing as having his elbow on his desk, supporting his head, as he continually falls asleep from monitoring my boring life. Very Happy

When they installed the electronic tolls in my area I remember that people were all concerned that "big brother" was going to know where they were going all the time. I thought....."Gee, aren't they going to be bored seeing me drive to work and back every day?"

Remember the days when you got piles of junk mail in the mailbox at the end of your driveway? Same thing now they just deliver it to your phone or email.

I rarely have my cell near me. I don't use it to access the internet.

Most SPAM I get goes into my SPAM folder. I do notice ads for things popping up on the side of some sites for things I have researched but it doesn't bother me. I am more focused on the web page that I am on versus the ads off to the side.
ShortyMedlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
DDG serves basic needs, been using it for 2 years. No onslaught of spooky ads reflecting conversations you has 5 minutes ago like Google ( with all devices "off").

What do you use for email, then?

I admit I haven't dug deeply into these alternative browsers. Yet!
Just typing out loud.

I use DDG and log in to my gmail account with no issues.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of dumping Google. Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
pitargue, is Startpage a downloadable browser?

[snip]

Cool pitargue, a new browser. I use DuckDuckGo but I'd be interested to know what you think of Brave. Although I'm a Chrome user for school as we use Google Classroom for class work.

[snip]

StartPage is a search engine. Go to https://www.startpage.com/ to use for searching. There's lots of search engines. Remember yahoo, altavista, excite, et. al? (Dating myself. Very Happy )

Brave is a chromium fork, which is also the basis for google chrome and chrome OS. Here's a web hit on Brave. https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

TBH, I'm just sick of getting ads for things I've already bought. Using google products guarantee that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: