Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sams 1968 California KG project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Sand, have you done any other repairs to your Ghia since your last post? And hopefully enjoyed driving it?
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Not much “repairs” done lately. The engine would get too hot sitting at a light because of a badly deteriorated rear (and firewall) rubber seal. I removed the engine to find badly leaking pushrod tube seal, then discovered a leaking oil cooler, cylinder base gaskets, and a broken ring! The list is getting loooong haha! I also found the crank end-play to be around .007”

Sooooo, it looks like I’ll be building an engine. Still undecided if I should attempt to rebuild the H5 or just start with a new AS41.

I’m really starting to lean towards all new parts and doing a 1776 or a thick wall 1835 setup.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Long time no update...

Life is crazy haha! Soon after getting the engine torn down, my wife and I discovered we will be parents! Needless to say this has drastically slowed down progress on the car. But it’s definitely a welcome distraction. We couldn’t be happier.

However, I still managed to get out into the garage periodically. I’m terrible at taking progress pics and I know that’s what makes a good forum post. Anyway...

As the car sat engineless I started picking over the body dings and dents and eventually started sanding down different sections that looked questionable. I discovered the entire lower passenger door area was mangled and filled with almost 1/2” of filler. It looks like this damage extends down to the rocker area slightly. Whoever did the repair filled in the rocker to quarter seam. Only one seam was done like this on the car so I will eventually attempt to dig out the filler and make it right.

The door is beyond repair (with my skill) so I decided to buy a replacement. It’s in much better shape but still needs some attention and then I’ll swap all the parts over.

I’m seriously contemplating filling the lower trim holes in the doors and body. I know a lot of people don’t like the look but the more I see it on other cars the more I like it. Especially because my plan for the car is a more stripped down, classic racer look.

As it sits currently:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by SandHamwich on Sun May 23, 2021 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Continuing from the last post:

Another troublesome area I showed earlier, is just below the rear window on the passenger side. From the inside it looks to have been hammered out a bit to push out a large dent. I sanded the entire area and there appears to be hardly any filler bit it will still take some work to get the correct shape and contour from the pillar to rear quarter section.

There a few other dents and dings I will need to fix but I don’t way to start down that rabbit hole until the car can move under its own power. I really don’t want to cover everything in my one care garage with fine dust.

That leads me to my next subject...

I am currently awaiting delivery of a 100% new 1776 from MrBusCo!!!
I opted for the standard 1776 setup they offer, with counterweight crank, W100 cam, and external filter pump option.

I just acquired a decent set of Kadrons I’m in the process of rebuilding. I’m planning to keep the heater boxes and run a Tri-mil euro style glasspack. I had one on my last bug years ago and loved the sound. Others will say to run a merger header but I like the compact and simple design of the euro style. Plus I want the OEM look of the tips out the back. Vintage speed is a little pricey but maybe an upgrade in the future.

SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

I do have a question for others who have converted to dual Kadron or other carbs on a 1968. The air cleaner pedestal that sits on the passenger side of the engine compartment is still present in my car. Will this interfere with the manifold/carb when the engine is installed?

If it needs to be removed I would rather do it now than when I’m trying to install the engine.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
I do have a question for others who have converted to dual Kadron or other carbs on a 1968. The air cleaner pedestal that sits on the passenger side of the engine compartment is still present in my car. Will this interfere with the manifold/carb when the engine is installed?

If it needs to be removed I would rather do it now than when I’m trying to install the engine.

it will always be in the way, i removed mine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Congratulations on becoming parents. Yes, life can get crazy, but take the time to enjoy each and every day with your family. Children grow up very fast and before you know it they will be out of the house.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Today is my wife’s due date but little man is late to the party. So I had a moment to sneak out into the garage and get a little work done.

I was able to get the swing axle out without issue. Quite productive I’d say! I went out and sprayed penetrant all over the place about a week ago and I’m sure it helped. Not one stuck bolt!

I was originally planning to leave it in the car when the new engine gets installed but I decided it’s best to get things done right the first time. Especially since one of the side covers has a small leak. I know it will only get worse and also cover my shiny new engine in oil. It has no issues when I bought the car so it will just be getting new gaskets and a paint job.

All the rubber mounts are in decent shape but I might as well replace all those while I’m at it. Including the Z-bar.

I’m also still on the fence about a short axle conversion. I’d really like to get some wider tires in the back. The car has 145 Nankangs currently and one side almost rubs the fender. I’m suspicious about the wheels not having the correct offset. From what I read in other posts I should be able to go bigger on a ‘68.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

My good friend Bill S from CT installed short axles on his '68 Ghia about 25 yrs ago, seen here a few years later during a drive through rural New York state to get to a large VW meet in the Detroit area. He fitted genuine Porsche 914 alloy wheels (5.5", ET40 IIRC) and 185/70 Vredestein tires on the rear which would not have been possible with the original wide axles. Car was featured in HotVWs in the late 1990's.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Rome, I’m fairly certain I’ve seen that magazine feature. That car is beautiful. Very well done.

I know it’s something I will wish I had done down the road. Now it’s time to start hunting down some axles and tubes in useable condition. Additionally, I will need to cut at least 5/8” off the drum, correct?

More importantly, I would really like to retain the Z-bar. Do the shorter tube ends allow me to still use the lower mounts?
Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Sam, I’m running long axels on my 67 and it is a really tight fit with the 15 inch alloys with Michelin 165’s. In hindsight I wish I had gone with a short axel conversion.

In the front, I recently went with a 2” narrowed adjustable beam with dropped spindles and I am very happy with the result and the ride. With the stock width beam I had a lot if issues with tire rub running Michelin 145’s dropped spindles and a Select-A-Drop.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Rome, I’m fairly certain I’ve seen that magazine feature. That car is beautiful. Very well done.

I know it’s something I will wish I had done down the road. Now it’s time to start hunting down some axles and tubes in useable condition. Additionally, I will need to cut at least 5/8” off the drum, correct?

More importantly, I would really like to retain the Z-bar. Do the shorter tube ends allow me to still use the lower mounts?

I swapped to short axels on my 68 and yes I had to have a 1/2 inch or so machined off the drums. I think i mentioned how much someplace on my build thread.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

I appreciate all the info. I’ve done a fair amount of research lately, but one thing I’m still unsure of...

The earlier axles tubes don’t utilize the large rubber o-ring that the later tubes use. Is this something that can be retrofitted to the earlier tubes? Or will I have to rely only on the the gasket stack to stop any leaks?
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

A good day indeed! The 1776 I had ordered from MRBUSCO finally showed up. It may be a while before Im able to install it. Still a fair amount of work to do on the transmission and rear suspension. I have most of the parts needed to complete the engine but I guess it will just have to sit.

SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Doing some mock ups while I have all the parts unboxed.

I switched to a doghouse fan shroud. The fit isn’t terrible with the Empi cylinder tins but still needs some trimming near the case and intake openings.

The engines specs are:

New AS41 mag case
Cast counterweight 69mm crank
Stock flywheel
Engle W100
Empi lightweight lifters with bigger oil hole
Stock Alu. pushrods
Windage tubes
Schadek 26mm pump with filter
AA 90.5 P&C
Autolinea heads 35.5x32
Stock 1.1 rocker assembly
8.1 CR

Standard Kadron setup, 28mm vents (starting with 55 idles, 130 mains)

Planning to get a Tri-mill euro 2 tip exhaust, I know there are better choices for max power but I want the stock look and plan to use heater boxes. Vintage Speed is a little pricey but may be a future purchase.

The most difficult decision I have is with ignition. I currently have a Bosch 009 that was on the original engine. I also have a Bosch 010 I received as trade in good working order. Just needs a rotor. I can’t decide which one to use or what would suite the engine better. I have heard Kads do better with vacuum but I don’t want to go that route.

So the question is do I use the 009, the 010 or look for 019 (I currently have an ad looking to trade the 010 for an 019)

Any advice is appreciated.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

The 009 will work.
The 010 will work better.
If you could trade the 010 for an 019 perhaps the best choice for a mild 1776.
Keep researching your exhaust choice.
Good Luck!!
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Update time! Bless my wife for giving me the opportunity to sneak out into the garage periodically. The kid is now 2 months old and doesn’t sleep very long, so after a handful of short “car therapy” sessions I was able to make some progress.

I did a total reseal of the transmission, minus the nose cone gasket. It looked to have been given a partial rebuild in the past. One side had a newer boot and was a little cleaner than the other. Although this was the side that was leaking fluid. After removing both axle tubes I found 2 gaskets per side. I thought I would luck out with the standard gasket kit having only 4 gaskets but alas, the tubes were way too tight when it was assembled. So I had to order more gaskets from eBay. I ended up using 3 per side: 2 brown, 1 red gasket (plus black RTV) for just the right tension on the tube.

I also installed a set of Empi side plate retainers for a little insurance. They seem to work well allowing everything to be torqued down quite a bit. I did have to clearance the rib along the frame horns to make room for the longer studs in the side plate. I had to make sure to remove enough to allow me to wrestle the transmission into place and not have the studs bind on the horns. It took me about 4 attempts getting the transmission in and out before I took enough material off. I also used all new mounts that didn’t afford me much wiggle room so everything had to be lined up just right for all the mounting bolts to go into there respective holes.

I also did some more engine mock ups making sure I have everything I need when the engine goes into the car. I’m still in need of air cleaners and exhaust. I have the heat exchangers but they need a good cleaning/blasting/painting before I want to mount them.

I do feel like I need a fuel pressure regulator as well. I’m hesitant to rely on the gasket stack to get the right fuel pressure (volume) for the Kadrons. I’ve read 1.5-2.0 psi is ideal.

SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

After a few months of short, hour long garage sessions when the kid allows I’ve made some decent progress on the car. I’ve spent most of the time acquiring all the parts I need to get this thing running again.

I was able to patch some holes on the engine tray area and do a terrible spray can repaint. I was convinced the original color was Bahia red (L30E) but now I’m certain it’s Poppy red (L54). That color was available for convertibles which would have been made in the same factory and was being used in 68. There’s no evidence anywhere on the car of the darker Velour Red (L30K).

The engine also went in quickly after. Seeing it in the car is a good feeling!

I still have to repair the tubes on my heater boxes. The way things are going ot might be a while.

Bonus Pic: the screamer will be used. I’m not sure what to do with the 010. Maybe put it on the shelf for a future build?

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Im sure you checked....does the fuel regulator foul when the lid is closed?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sams 1968 California KG project Reply with quote

Good solution with the Kad air cleaners, to shorten them so that the engine lid springs clear the tops. Looks just like what I did nearly 20 years ago on my '64 Coupe, by taking an original Kad air cleaner perforated metal side piece, cut it in half so that I could use each half on each carb, then used a 6" foam round lawn tractor element for the actual filter portion. What did you use for the air filter element?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: