Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ImAddicted's driveway build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Or something like that.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Lol, since I avoid that brand, I’ll stick with the good VW people Smile

So did work another project this morning, but first dumped about 5galin the tank, then put cardboard underneath to check for leaks. 3 hours later, still dry Smile.
Finished up the other project, decided I had put off checking our progress long enough. Hooked up battery, twisted key, crankcrankcrank nothing. Fuel? Yup. Air? Yup. Spark? Yup. Timing? Errrrrr. Though I put distributor back exactly lined up to prior marks, didn’t take into account that shit changes when you replace all the worn parts. Oops. Quick check with light while cranking, retarded off the scale lol. Twist. Jiggle. Crank. RUN! Forgot to pull the hose first time, duh, then did it right. 28 at ~3k, spot on 7.5 at idle. And speaking of idle, actually could crack those screws a bit now that have decent pressure and vacuum leaks solved. Let it run for 20 minutes or so, tons of crap burned off the exchanges from the bath yesterday, think I smell burnt rodent too. Sad. Lots of shredded acorn shells around the engine bay, roasted mouse, anyone? A bit of a knock but not a deep rod-about-to-toss-knock, suspect a lifter probably bled down from sitting. Shut it down for a few hours, fired right up cold a few minutes ago. Has been threatening rain all day so only blasted it up and down the street a few times right in front of the house (coasting distance to driveway). No knock, so must have been what I suspected. Taking the lady out for day tomorrow in the regular car, Wednesday ill take the bus out. I hope. Fingers crossed!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

IT LIVES!!! Took yesterday off to take the better half to the beach in the daily. Great day for it as it was a bit cooler and slightly overcast...right up until I proposed on the beach, then the sun came out Smile. Good day. Great day.

This morning did some house stuff then decided it was time to bite the bullet and see how we made out. Fired right up, idling still a little high but that can be dialed in. Took it down the road, then back just to make sure I wouldn't be stuck walking Smile. Felt like things were right so headed down to the station for a bath. Besides the winds being stupid strong and my reluctance to push it, it did fine. Got a bath:)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think might take it to the drive-in Friday night Smile.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Nice! Congratulations on all accounts! Hope to see you out there!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

wait, what? amongst all the bus chatter did you say propose?

well hell ole boy! congrats! i mean you didnt tell us her response, but at least Ducky got washed.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Nice! Congratulations on all accounts! Hope to see you out there!

Thanks Smile while washing it, a guy stops to talk, not because of the bus, he saw my call sign sticker. Got a new ham friend Smile

Jetfxr69 wrote:
wait, what? amongst all the bus chatter did you say propose?

well hell ole boy! congrats! i mean you didnt tell us her response, but at least Ducky got washed.

Lol, she did say yes. It’s only taken me ten years to do it, if she said no, that would have really been awkward Smile. Ducky approves Smile I did get all that sap off, what an ordeal that was:(

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

VW logo upside down on valve covers. Whomever first pointed that out, THANK YOU! Did my gaskets yesterday, soooooo much easier to get the bails up in place!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally got a few hours to do some work. Between mom’s failing health, trying to house hunt in the worst market ever, and year two of a drought has made things a little hectic. I’ve had some valve cover gaskets for a few months on the shelf. Last time I ran Duckster, I was getting smoke off the HEs after a few minutes of running so finally hit the bullet and got them swapped out. The old ones were solid as rawhide. Oops. Cleaned up the VCs and bales, new gaskets, correct orientation (!!!!) easy as pie and no leaks (so far).

I got a cheap Chinese tach for free so figured “why nor?” Took a bit to figure out the install since the instructions in the box are for oil pressure gauge, not RPM. Made it work. Eventually I’ll move it to the dead spot to the right of the Speedo, this works for now. Checked it against my Sunpro and is within 100rpm or so.

So this morning I took it out for a little jaunt. Stopped for gas (gauge working well, yay). Got cornered by a bunch of ATVers with questions: is it 4x4? Does it have a Porsche engine? It has a sink??? Lol, good times Smile. Drove it down to the rescue station so I could do some paperwork, then decided I wasn’t ready to go back to work so headed over to the dam (yeh, this is a “dam” in Maine lol), put my toes in the water, had an iced coffee, and enjoyed watching the kingfishers feed. Still haven’t ventured offthe beaten patch yet, nor a long trip. Working up to it. Cruises at 55-60 (gps) around 3200rpm, 82F out, head temps didn’t break 340F pulling up a long grade, steady at 320F n the flats. I’m getting more confidence in him, more travels are on the horizon:).

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

That muffler is huge!

Here’s a link to the upgraded washer nozzle thread. Looks like Amazon has two in stock, there is a link in the thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554391&highlight=windshield+washer
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
That muffler is huge!

Lol, yeh, it doesn’t do much for the departure angle. It’s a Walker 17902 left over from another project, 6”x”15” that just happened have the right inlet to match my header. It surprisingly quiet, though does this muffle make my ass look big? Laughing

Quote:

Here’s a link to the upgraded washer nozzle thread. Looks like Amazon has two in stock, there is a link in the thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554391&highlight=windshield+washer

Awesome! Thanks for thinking of me, gonna get right in that![/quote]
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Tough day today. Ducky has been sold. I got more than I expected for him so that takes a little sting out of it, but I never intended to sell him Sad. Unfortunately, because the state of the economy and housing market, the hard choice was made. He is going to a good home, someone that will love him and is very excited to bring him home.

I still have my '70 Westy in NH that hopefully, once we get settled, will get pulled out of the weeds and worked on.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Crapper…

How much did you get? Disclosing this information might help the next guy get a fair price for theirs.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

$7000, which was the price on the windshield and about $2k more than I expected to get. It was far from a nice bus. If using "lipstick on a pig" as a level, then this was lipstick on a pig applied by a drunk Smile. I was right up straight with everyone who looked at it. Pointed out all the PO issues, filler, etc. The buyer's husband is the president of a local hot rod club, he crawled all over it and sent a couple of his club members over to check it out (in stealth) so my mind is at peace. They know exactly what they are getting.

Although I'm not happy to see him go, I'm not complaining about the price.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

That would be about $2,000 underpriced in my neck of the woods.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

copyright that, and make bumper stickers. Smile

Sad to see a bus sold but if it helps the owner out, and if someone else gets the opportunity to take it to the next step, and enjoy it. Amen.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

copyright that, and make bumper stickers. Smile

Sad to see a bus sold but if it helps the owner out, and if someone else gets the opportunity to take it to the next step, and enjoy it. Amen.

Thank you. I passed on a few offers as I didn't feel they were the right people. I'm comfortable with the buyer, she has the support system she will need, is enthusiastic, and has always wanted one. Once we get housing secured and settled, I'll work on collecting the '70. Until then, I'll lurk Smile.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Well congrats on finding the right buyer. The people I bought mine from were somewhat particular who they sold it to - they wanted to make sure it was going to be taken care of. Funny how that is..

You did a lot of good work to that thing - hopefully the new owner will appreciate it.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ImAddicted's driveway build Reply with quote

Awwww...man, I remember when you painted the duck.

I feel your pain though, I had to sell my nearly rust free OG paint thing to literally put a roof over our heads (get it reshingled).

Work has been so crazy i havent had any time to put any lipstick on my pig (aka "the thing" cuz I had to sell mine and its such a frankenstein to begin with, but hopefully soon. I actually uncovered it today and let it air out, and there werent puddles in it like when I bought it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: