Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

Ever since I pulled my dash and installed a new heater core, I’ve had no fan.
Today, I made a jumper from the + on the fan switch connector to the other 3 terminals, one at a time. No fan. New fuse-same.
(Why the label order of I, III, and then II?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I checked voltage, key on, at the switch connector terminals, both from front and back to try and get a good connection -zero volts still.

I traced the ground, it looked good, and I had cleaned the grounding star years ago-it still looked good.

I tried reading voltage @ the fuse, key on, and could not get a good reading.
Made some jumpers and since I was having problems, I tried my set-up on fuse #3 for my interior lights. There I nearly got 12 V, but 6+ is the best I got at the fan fuse

(Above-reading at interior light fuse #3)

I actually got 2-3 volts, unless I squeezed the alligator clips on the negative going to the meter. Then I got 6V. But on the interior light check earlier (and later again) squeezing the alligator clips made no change in that reading.

So I cut the replacement terminal off the ground, but upon inspection, it was fine.
Not having another female terminal, I ran the meter ground to the star, positive to the + on the fan switch connector, key on, but only trace volts (0.002-0.003).

My thinking now is the ground may be the problem, due to the 6V @ the fuse, but not at the star, but at the connection to fan.

The switch wires show splices, it they looked properly done, and the fan worked before with this repair - I don’t know where or what to check anymore. Help!

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

John-

See if the fan will run if you run a jumper wire directly from the battery + to the terminals on the fan switch, make sure you plug that ground wire back on first.

Fuse 13 and the + terminal on the fan switch plug should give you 12v (or battery voltage) any time the key is in the on position. If you don't have that, possible the X relay (the load reduction relay in position eight) is going bad. If your wipers are working fine, then the X relay is probably fine.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
John-
See if the fan will run if you run a jumper wire directly from the battery + to the terminals on the fan switch, make sure you plug that ground wire back on first.

Fuse 13 and the + terminal on the fan switch plug should give you 12v (or battery voltage) any time the key is in the on position. If you don't have that, possible the X relay (the load reduction relay in position eight) is going bad. If your wipers are working fine, then the X relay is probably fine.

Andrew-

Good news is I’m getting 12V+ between fuse & + terminal on switch.
Bad news is 12V (actually 13.3V) straight from a spare battery to any switch position is not powering the fan on.
Prior to this, I put a new end on the ground and connected it to the star grounding tree. Wipers work fine BTW.

I did convert this from a 3-speed to a 4-speed when I rebuilt my box.
But I think the problem is I either knocked off, of failed to connect, the ground, or power, to the fan motor itself.

I’ll re-run the direct power check one more time and ensure the ground is good, but I think I’ll have to pull the dash to check wires direct to the fan itself.

Maybe I’ll do the Jeep resistor mod at that time, so I can screw something else up. 😀
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

How did you change it from a 3 to a 4 speed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

I’m confused-It’s still a 3-speed.
I thought about a different resistor with converting to 4-speed, along with a new switch, but I did not actually do it.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

Do NOT pull the dash---yet. When I bought my '91 tintop the fan did not run. I pulled the ash tray and drilled a 1 ½" hole in the plastic air handling unit right underneath. Then I drilled a 1/4" hole in the blower surround. Check the previously posted pics above and you can see what it all looks like if you had X ray vision. Then with an electrical screwdriver--thin blade with a long handle, I poked it down and gently pried the squirrel cage blower blades back and forth. Eventually the shaft broke free where it was frozen. If you can do this successfully, patch the holes with Gorilla tape and do the Mullendore port thingy. I didn't need to as I have much better top access and put a oiler tube directly to the bearing. a few drops of 30 weight a year and no probs.

You can barely see the 1/4" copper tubing sticking up just above the left tulip. That's my oil delivery tube.

Worth a try. Duncan
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Do NOT pull the dash---yet.

Thanks, but my fan was working before I pulled the dash to change the heat exchanger and the fan was working freely (heck I might have replaced it with a new one, I can't remember)- this is most likely a matter of operator error.

Funny I've rebuilt an Type IV, pulled apart my 04 Honda transmission completely to replace bearings, but I'm apparently unqualified for re-habbing a Vanagon heater box. This is somehow fitting for me. Laughing
The new heat exchanger (heater core) is nice however.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

I’m confused-It’s still a 3-speed.
I thought about a different resistor with converting to 4-speed, along with a new switch, but I did not actually do it.

You wrote "I did convert this from a 3-speed to a 4-speed when I rebuilt my box."

I'd guess you are probably right in that one of the terminals got knocked off of the fan or resistor. Try doing what Duncan suggests first but probably removing the dash will be needed- not like you already have every weekend already booked this summer anyway right?
Deepstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

I have an 87. Same issue. There's power to the speed switch, but fan doesn't run at any speed when switch is jumped and it doesn't blow fuses. How do I find the ground? Remove the fuse panel?
Deepstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Before I pull the dash (troubleshooting non-op blower fan) Reply with quote

Update, this is a new to me van. Just realized that rear wiper is not working either but rear wash is. Wiper is on same fuse as blower fan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: