Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wrapped my horn honker pad. That's all...
Filled the grooves with Bondo.
Anyone have a spare emblem ? Lost the one for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1. Picked up a new brush guard for my RMW front bumper
2. Bought D-rings for my RMW rear bumper
3. Started designing an offset plate holder for the Classic German license plate we just ordered. Will cut the holder parts out on the laser, weld it all up, and have it powder coated.

Almost bought an oversized front brake kit for my Syncro, but I held strong and didn't do it! Mostly because my wife will kill me if I go over the van budget again this month...

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades

Last edited by R. Deschain on Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hit the buy button on the T3 HD end links and plasma gauge set, and the Subarugears automatic conversion kit. Now I’m patiently waiting for all of it to get here!
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed all four shocks. Maybe now I won't spill my coffee on my daily Wawa run on these wagon trails Pennsylvania calls roads.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

R. Deschain wrote:
my wife will kill me if I go over the van budget again this month...

I am searching for "my wife's number" on the 'van budget' .. What is yours?

Edit:

So, over the weekend, I asked Mrs. Black to come out and look over the "new '86" so we could assess what was to come. Approved new tent, top seal, a few more Ponies.. Anyway, I had to point out the inherent Dustification of the Brown interior plastics. She had to agree with me that it was of some concern, but in her words "I Love the retro look" of the Brown interior.

Score!!
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
R. Deschain wrote:

So, We have an agreement on $250 a month for maintenance and small add-ons. If I don't use it one month then it lumps with the next months budget amount. Repairs and major modifications fall outside that budget and have to be agreed to and are "NOT ALLOWED TO BE PUT ON THE AMEX!!" It is in caps because I got yelled at Smile

I have an '86 Jeep CJ-7 and we have a similar agreement for that vehicle. All in still cheaper than buying a new car.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

R. Deschain wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
R. Deschain wrote:

So, We have an agreement on $250 a month for maintenance and small add-ons. If I don't use it one month then it lumps with the next months budget amount. Repairs and major modifications fall outside that budget and have to be agreed to and are "NOT ALLOWED TO BE PUT ON THE AMEX!!" It is in caps because I got yelled at Smile

I have an '86 Jeep CJ-7 and we have a similar agreement for that vehicle. All in still cheaper than buying a new car.

My Wife has seen the crazy numbers her friends pay service facilities to keep their car on the road.
She has been dumbfounded by the large size of those numbers!
She appreciates my DIY skills.
I can pretty much do whatever I desire to do, for whatever it is I spend is most likely immensely less $$’s than her friends pay!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have resorted to not keeping my other half involved in the finances required to build the current van or what it will cost to keep her maintained. She balked at what I paid to have the seats & couch re-upholstered so the gearbox rebuild wasn't something I wanted to bring up...or the suspension, or syncro conversion, or bumpers & swing arm...

I just have to hope that the final result will be up to standard.
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
I have resorted to not keeping my other half involved in the finances required to build the current van or what it will cost to keep her maintained. She balked at what I paid to have the seats & couch re-upholstered so the gearbox rebuild wasn't something I wanted to bring up...or the suspension, or syncro conversion, or bumpers & swing arm...

I just have to hope that the final result will be up to standard.

Same goes for us on the major stuff. My gear box is a little flakey into 3rd. I KNOW am rolling the dice on the 3-4 syncro hub. I am eventually going to need a rebuilt one, but hoping until it holds until I have the $$ saved for the 2.5 Subi boxer swap and do both at once. I will do the conversion (have done 1 before) and she is aware of the overall cost and the price reduction due to my sweat equity. Where I have gotten into trouble in the past is ordering new ABS interior panels, bumpers, wheels, gadgets, mattress, upholstery... The list of stuff I have surprised her with and overspent on is long Smile

AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My Febi plastic tank split along the seam, which I replaced with another Febi plastic tank (after much consideration of going aluminum -- later). Anyway, I pulled the trigger on replacing the radiator too. Shout out to BusLab for sending me a South Africa/Behr unit!

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

How is your paint so clean but your bumpers so faded? SEM Trim Black! or 50/50 acetone and boiled linseed oil. Get it looking fresh!
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed the old purple tint off the front windows. Interesting the PO got it off all the other windows but left the front ones. Less work but still a lot of elbow grease to get the residue off.

So much better now.

This stuff is gone now:

AllRad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
How is your paint so clean but your bumpers so faded? SEM Trim Black! or 50/50 acetone and boiled linseed oil. Get it looking fresh!

LOL! I was wondering if someone would call me out on the ugly bumper. Fact is, I picked up a used set that was cracked. Then I repaired it using fiberglass & resin. I have not had a chance to paint it yet. That was 18 months ago...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tracked down a no start to a bad Alt + wire. Cleaned that up, got a new lug on and heat shrink. Now its is a solid start, runs good.

Actually not at all sure how the heck it was running at all for the recent past, as that fat wire was completely rotted off.

brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Tracked down a no start to a bad Alt + wire. Cleaned that up, got a new lug on and heat shrink. Now its is a solid start, runs good.

Actually not at all sure how the heck it was running at all for the recent past, as that fat wire was completely rotted off.

Nice work! I would guess a combination of corrosion and vibration caused it. If from vibration, double-check your alternator mounting situation. I would also clean those other connectors up.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Good call! I have the Big Bracket in a box somewhere, as I had been re-tightening the Alt a couple times a year now. I just can't put my hands on it right now.. Freakish how many boxes I have for the '87, and now I have to start doing the same things to the '86.. Multi-year projects! The '87 has been 6 years thus far, and just barley to the point of Mostly Done.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

In tank fuel pump, lines and fpr.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally get to post in this thread!

After discovering that the '84 GL I brought home yesterday had only one key that only fit the ignition and nothing else, I spent a few hours resetting the front doors and hatch to use the ignition key. Turns out the sliding door handle uses a different profile key so I'll have to figure out something else there.

One thing ticked off the to-do list, about a million to go! Laughing
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
Turns out the sliding door handle uses a different profile key so I'll have to figure out something else there.

sounds like you have a replacement handle. if you find an original cylinder, you may be able to install it. there is a post on here somewhere

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
I finally get to post in this thread!

After discovering that the '84 GL I brought home yesterday had only one key that only fit the ignition and nothing else, I spent a few hours resetting the front doors and hatch to use the ignition key. Turns out the sliding door handle uses a different profile key so I'll have to figure out something else there.

One thing ticked off the to-do list, about a million to go! Laughing
Interesting, my ‘84 L allowed me to use the same key on all the doors once I swapped tumblers over to fit, slider included. Any chance someone put a replacement handle on that slider? Think Think Think
My key is the lollipop style one with the round head on it.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 566, 567, 568 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 567 of 630

Jump to: