Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crazy electrical problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

I had posted that I was having trouble with my tail lights not working. I cleaned the sockets good and all the plug connections on the bulb holder. Checked the grounds behind the panels in the engine compartment.
I had brake lights and turn signals. I was also having trouble with the headlights. No lights on the left and only bright on the right side. Also my oil and generator lights quit working when I turn the key on. They have always worked.
Now i have tail lights but no brake or turn signals. Had them before. Still the same with the headlights. What would cause me to loose brake and turn signals and the tail lights to start working again. I usually try to fix stuff myself but I am about ready to give up. I do have a new headlight switch to put in. Any suggestions. Thanks
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

What year/model?
Do you have access to wiring diagram and fuse block layout?

If so, check to see if you have 12V at each of the fuses that feed the circuit you are not getting power to.

This should help lead you in the right direction, and based on your findings, will help us help you.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

Not to sure what year, but.......

The grounds! Behind the tar boards, the side ones, there is a ground to the body connection. These (both sides) get really dirty and corroded. Check them out and clean them.

Also, clean the other terminals and connectors. They are probably compromised as well!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

I'm starting to wonder how many threads you're going to start on more or less the same subject.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755160
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755011
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

Sorry, I won't post anymore about it. Just trying to get all the information I can. Putting the new headlight switch in today and going to try and check more things mentioned. Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

I'm not asking you don't post anymore, just please keep everything in one thread so that it's easier to understand what has been done and suggested thus far. Redundant questions and repetitive suggestions are generally what you get when you post multiple threads on the same subject.
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got it fixed. I put a new headlight switch on it but didn't do any good. I then did what was suggested. I pulled all the fuses and took my Dremel tool with a small wire brush and cleaned all the prongs on the fused box good. Then I cleaned the ends of the fuses good. Put them all back in and everything works. I believe one of the 16 amp fuses wasn't making a good connection. I didn't have power to several fuses. Thanks again for the help. Tomorrow I and going to clean all the connections on the fuse box and any other grounds I see.
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy electrical problems Reply with quote

Thanks for posting how you were able to fix the problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: