Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joint questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

Okay, so dentil work with Dremmel longways along each splice, I did clean one with a jewelers triangle file, this actually made it so I cloud start the CV onto the axle, probably should have put more prep work into the axle spines, will do for the remaining three. Thanks for the advice.
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

Decades of working on the buses and I've never had an issue after putting them back together in different order (CV bearings). Cleaning good and re-lubing well is all that is needed. Along with boots.

Now boot quality? That's a different story today. I'm running Rockford boots.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

I posted this question before, but didn't get much response.

My Bus, despite only having 65K miles on it, has what I believe to be aftermarket axles. The boots are cracking, and upon inspecting them closer, they have some tight spots.

I'd like to buy a new set of axles to drive on while I take these apart for inspection/rebuild. What is the preferred non-OEM axle? Should I just get the $40-60 ones from the usual suspects? Or shell out for the $100+ ones from somewhere like BusDepot?

Are aftermarket axles for these Busses substantially worse than other aftermarket axles? I've been buying $50 specials for years on my daily-drivers, and I've gotten upwards of 100K miles out of some of them.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

Just about to put the engine/transaxle unit back into my 1977 bus, and cleaned the outsides of the CV joint/axles. Then this became visible;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Appears to be the OG Cvs and boots on this old bus. It was sitting on jacks for 10 years at my place, and in a field for years before that. Now, I'm getting her back on the road. I was wondering how often you see what looks like the original CVs on an old bus, and the boots are intact!
Any suggestions for cleaning/prepping the Cvs before install, or should I just repack and go?
Thanks Peeps.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

I think the original CVs are good for better than 300K miles. Eventually the cage wears and doesn't keep the balls all that well aligned and things begin to get out of whack.

If I had a set of factory new CVs and got to lubricate them my way before they went into service I would suspect they would last even longer. The factory just didn't put enough grease into them and it seems the grease they used was mostly soap and dried up quickly, meaning that the CVs wore at a high rate until they got their first service thousands of miles down the road.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

BusterBrown wrote:
Just about to put the engine/transaxle unit back into my 1977 bus, and cleaned the outsides of the CV joint/axles. Then this became visible;

Appears to be the OG Cvs and boots on this old bus. It was sitting on jacks for 10 years at my place, and in a field for years before that. Now, I'm getting her back on the road. I was wondering how often you see what looks like the original CVs on an old bus, and the boots are intact!
Any suggestions for cleaning/prepping the Cvs before install, or should I just repack and go?
Thanks Peeps.

It’s hard to say for sure if those are the original boots, but if it was parked 30 years ago, I suppose it’s possible. Rubber made in the past definitely lasted longer than it does now.
Of the 8 Bay Buses worth of CV’s if cleaned and repacked in the past couple years, I’d say half of them were date stamped where I could believe them to be original. Some of the CV’s looked better than others, but none of them were close to bad enough to garbage. With some fresh grease and boots, I think even the worst OG joints will outlive a lot of the new options on the market.

My record was less than 500 miles before an Empi joint disintegrated on the highway.

As far as suggestions for repacking then, you need to clean and inspect them before making any final decisions. I personally love my used $50 parts washer. It doesn’t get used a lot, but for CV’s it’s amazing. I use a cheap soft bristle scrub brush and hold the joint under the pump faucet. It takes 1 minute max to get 99% of the grease out. Once I pull the joint apart, a soft towel cleans up the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joint questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I think the original CVs are good for better than 300K miles. Eventually the cage wears and doesn't keep the balls all that well aligned and things begin to get out of whack.

If I had a set of factory new CVs and got to lubricate them my way before they went into service I would suspect they would last even longer. The factory just didn't put enough grease into them and it seems the grease they used was mostly soap and dried up quickly, meaning that the CVs wore at a high rate until they got their first service thousands of miles down the road.

This ....I really agree with. Partly that the factory did not put enough grease into these...and...partly the whole design of accordion/bellows boots. If you squeeze the grease out and it goes past the first rib in the boot...it will never come back.

The other issue that helps all of this...its really hard to beat the consistency of the original CV joint grease in the blue odd shaped tubes...kind of soupy...dark gray....VERY high lead content...which is why it lubes so well.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: