Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I ended up with a 1969 KG coupe with a lot of rust. Need advise on what to do with this car. Runs and drives, clear title but it has rust on nearly every panel in the car. Previous owner filled the rockers with bondo and it has more rust in front and rear panels. I am wondering if I should part it out, rebuild the pan and sell it with a clear title. (what is the current cost of a clean rebuilt pan)

I don't know what to do, any advise is welcomed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Reply with quote

That’s a vague question. Like asking what kind of tattoo should you get. It’s entirely up to you how deep you want to dive in. It looks like a very complete car so might as well drive it and enjoy it as is. As long as its structurally sounds, like not going to split in half while you are driving down the road, then might as well get some enjoyment out of it while it’s together.

A proper rebuild is going to lots of time and money.

Personally, I like a car that’s a little rough because I can drive it aggressively and have fun with it and not have to worry so much about wear and tear.

…but it’s all up to you.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
That’s a vague question. Like asking what kind of tattoo should you get. It’s entirely up to you how deep you want to dive in. It looks like a very complete car so might as well drive it and enjoy it as is. As long as its structurally sounds, like not going to split in half while you are driving down the road, then might as well get some enjoyment out of it while it’s together.

A proper rebuild is going to lots of time and money.

Personally, I like a car that’s a little rough because I can drive it aggressively and have fun with it and not have to worry so much about wear and tear.

…but it’s all up to you.
Thank you for that response. That is exactly what I am doing with it right now but I am a purist and it really bugs me when I see all the rust this car has. I want to go through it properly but I am not a welder nor a body man so... Things I can do are mechanical and I could rebuild the pan to pristine condition, the body work is out of my hands.

It is somewhat sound, the pan halves are just starting to show some rot in the lower area. I can drive it around with no worries, just need some guidance on what our members would do with a car like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Reply with quote

Funny enough I’m in the exact same position with my 68’. The metal work needs some attention. Probably something I could stumble my way through but should be left to a professional. It just always turns into a rabbit hole.

I do understand about wanting things perfect. There are certain things about my car that bug the hell out of me but I’m not ready for a full body off resto. I plan to get my car running and driving and driving. Then do small, manageable body repairs when I have time. Eventually, when I have more space and funds, I’ll do it all over again properly from the ground up.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Reply with quote

SandHamwich wrote:
Funny enough I’m in the exact same position with my 68’. The metal work needs some attention. Probably something I could stumble my way through but should be left to a professional. It just always turns into a rabbit hole.

I do understand about wanting things perfect. There are certain things about my car that bug the hell out of me but I’m not ready for a full body off resto. I plan to get my car running and driving and driving. Then do small, manageable body repairs when I have time. Eventually, when I have more space and funds, I’ll do it all over again properly from the ground up.
Space is where I have my biggest deficit for sure. I have 2 pristine BMWs in my garage and one will have to go out into the driveway if I keep this KG. I can lift the body and make one hell of a chassis but the body is just something I do not have the skills for.

I can flip this thing or tear it down.

Q1.What is the current value on a '69 right now in 2021 that has a lot of rust?

Q2 What is the value of a restored chassis with VIN and paperwork to be used on another body?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
…but I am not a welder nor a body man so...

Ohhh, but you will be. Razz
Or you will be spending LOTS of money for someone that can… and they may not be able to do it correctly.

You will NOT recoup most of what you will spend if you pay someone else to do the work. Flip it now before you put another dime in it. Or, fix it yourself & drive it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Post some detailed pix of the ugly areas.
A couple years ago when Ghias were still cheap I’d say pass it on or cut it up and find something better, and passing it on and finding something better is probably the best advice for you because you will likely be upside down if you pay someone to fix it. But nice solid Ghias are not easy to find anymore and they have gotten expensive.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

There are a lot of good parts that are hard to find on that car so if you want to sell place an ad in the classifieds here for $2000. and it will probably sell.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Since space seems to be the biggest concern and you don't want to park the B'mers outside the best solution is to sell.
If you keep it and restore you still have a car that's going to end up outside.
It's probably a $6-7k car.
Ghia's are not are not going to get any cheaper, to buy or restore.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good advice from everyone. They all seem to have the rust problem if they weren't kept properly. I don't know how many pages I have read on here of guys putting in the work and cutting and replacing the panels.

I am still trying to make a decision for the best path forward. The wife loves it and says just sit on it and work on it as we go along. It is pretty from 20 feet away. Laughing
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
Thanks guys, good advice from everyone. They all seem to have the rust problem if they weren't kept properly. I don't know how many pages I have read on here of guys putting in the work and cutting and replacing the panels.

I am still trying to make a decision for the best path forward. The wife loves it and says just sit on it and work on it as we go along. It is pretty from 20 feet away. Laughing

If your wife is saying keep it then you probably should.
FYI, I bought my current Ghia in 1997 and finished it 9 years later in 2006. I ended up separating the body from the pan and made a fixture for the body. The fixture was high and wide enough that I could roll the pan underneath when I wasn’t working on it. There are threads showing how to build the fixture if that interests you.
Eventually I sent the body out for paint while I restored the chassis and engine.
It killed me to have a Ghia that I couldn’t drive for thst long but in the end it was definitely worth the effort.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Looks like it's worth saving. But that is up to you to decide if it is by you.
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

I guess I'm keeping it for a while. I needed to replace a broken rear tail light to register the car, found one brand new reproduction in the box on fleaBay for $40.

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

A couple more photos of my 1969 KG weekend driver. Got it insured yesterday and planning on registration next week. Just having fun driving it for now.

Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

That doesn't look too bad for a daily driver car. If you can garage it, not drive in the wet, and limit the advancement of the rust, it could last in the condition it's in for years.
Sometimes a driver with some rust that you're not too worried about can be more fun than a pristine car. I have a feeling when I finish my 66 I'm going to be ultra obsessive over it.

Also, if you're in Huntersville then you're not too far from Black Forest Racing in Denver, NC just north of Lake Norman. They mostly specialize in late air-cooled and water-cooled Porsches, but they know their way around air cooled VW's if you need metalwork done.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue

Last edited by Era Vulgaris on Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Hiya neighbor! Yeah, it's rough but the wife loves it. It takes us back to the 80's in SoCal when I built so many bugs and Ghias. Almost 50 years later, life has a full circle. I have no plans to pull her apart and restore it so it is what it is. It gets a lot of looks, 99.9% of people in Charlotte have no idea what we know on here on what a proper Ghia should be.

I know Black Forest, I have done some electronic data acquisition systems for them in the past. I am in the racing industry for a living so I know most of the race shops in or area. I've even done some equipment for Rory at Ingram. So nice to meet a fanatic so close to me.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

You kidding me? I went to a show today and there were only three Ghias and yours looks like an award winner compared to two of them. Enjoy!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

Don't look too close Braukuche, you will be disappointed as someone that knows what is right. I shake my head every time I walk in the garage knowing what I want to do to it. I just don't have the time or ambition... yet... Laughing
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

overboost wrote:
99.9% of people in Charlotte have no idea

Truer words were never spoken! Laughing Laughing Laughing
I kid, I kid....maybe

That's cool you know BFR. I went up there a few times with the 914s I used to own back when old man John was still working and they were mostly doing 914 restorations and kind of racing on the side. I think they've shifted their focus away from vintage Porsches mostly to racing now that it looks like Cody (I think) is running things.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with advise on 1969 KG Coupe Reply with quote

All retitled and registered today. A whopping $190 fee, LOL. They wouldn't let me use my manufactured date plates so hoping some of the NC Samba posse can shed some light on license plate usage in NC. I went ahead and ordered Antique Auto plates just to not stop the process at the desk today.

I wanted to take it out tonight for ice cream but it has been raining for days now. I want to drive it! Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: