Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interesting oil pressure issue
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

This is a 2056, GA case, running with a baffle but enlarged return holes in it, Tuna can sump.
When pulling a big hill, with throttle near full consistently for more than a minute or so, the rock-steady oil pressure
Starts to back off, from 53psi to around 40, or a wee bit lower, this happens quickly and recovers quickly at the top of the hill when
The throttle is backed off, speed is consistent, road is straight.

First thought is of course, frothing… and this happened with the engines last build, and that had AA cylinders and KB pistons so I thought maybe blow-by,
But this build is OEM bored cylinders fitted properly to the KB’s, and Im having the same issues. This past weekend I made the hill run with about a half quart or so extra oil, same issue… it acts as if its sucking air but with the tuna can on there, brazed inlet tube, and extra oil it seems unlikely that its running that low in the sump, BUT… why ONLY under full throttle or near full throttle? Consistent RPM… 3400 on the highway.

Pickup tube was tight in the case when I last had it apart, but again, suppose it sucked a bit of air there… still, why only under heavy throttle?
Could it somehow be PVC related? I cant wrap my head around that one but this is a custom setup for use in a Type 3 and the crankcase breather
Has the restrictor in it but otherwise its just breather to the intake.

Stumped! Otherwise engine is running great.

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

I think you may be correct about the oil getting whipped up or foaming up. With the engine tilted as you go up a hill the oil level essentially becomes higher than normal at the rear most part of the case.

Either that of you are dealing with cavitation which could be fairly normal. I would check to make sure your breather is not restricted or clogged I'm some way. Or maybe the hole is too small. The inner diameter of the breather fitting hole and hose should be atleast 1/2" inch. AN fittings can cause problems here as they are often have a small hole size compared to hose size.

Or the cavitation could be happening because the load of going up hill causes your oil temp to climb. That's more likely an agrevating factor if anything but who knows.
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

well the hill isnt THAT steep, im doing 70mph up it so the car is still basically level. Oil temps dont climb more than 2-3 degree's during this, and are 195 - 215 on recent trips depending on outside temp.

The breather restrictor may be too small, thats possible... but how would too much crankcase pressure cause the oil to cavitate or foam? thats what Im not sure about...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Check your battery is well earthed to the trans/engine . I had intermittent fluctuating oil pressure on the VDO gauge . Engine started fine so I didn't look at the earth first . changed the oil and filter with no change , pulled and cleaned the pressure relief , no change . Ran a temporary jumper cable . problem fixed . So I replaced the main earth cable .
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
This is a 2056, GA case, running with a baffle but enlarged return holes in it, Tuna can sump.
When pulling a big hill, with throttle near full consistently for more than a minute or so, the rock-steady oil pressure
Starts to back off, from 53psi to around 40, or a wee bit lower, this happens quickly and recovers quickly at the top of the hill when
The throttle is backed off, speed is consistent, road is straight.

First thought is of course, frothing… and this happened with the engines last build, and that had AA cylinders and KB pistons so I thought maybe blow-by,
But this build is OEM bored cylinders fitted properly to the KB’s, and Im having the same issues. This past weekend I made the hill run with about a half quart or so extra oil, same issue… it acts as if its sucking air but with the tuna can on there, brazed inlet tube, and extra oil it seems unlikely that its running that low in the sump, BUT… why ONLY under full throttle or near full throttle? Consistent RPM… 3400 on the highway.

Pickup tube was tight in the case when I last had it apart, but again, suppose it sucked a bit of air there… still, why only under heavy throttle?
Could it somehow be PVC related? I cant wrap my head around that one but this is a custom setup for use in a Type 3 and the crankcase breather
Has the restrictor in it but otherwise its just breather to the intake.

Stumped! Otherwise engine is running great.

Keith

What is your oil temp at the start of the hill climb and what is it rising too?

Also I do not suspect sucking air. Typically when that happens (in my experience)...you see a BIG blip of low oil pressure for a second or two when bubble is sucked in.....and near total loss when its ongoing sucking of air.

Yes...could be foaming. Are you running the factory windage tray? That actually helps a little more in fore and aft keeping the oil in the bottom case half than it does for left to right control.

But if you are foaming it would not instantly recover at the top.

So teh crankcase breather has a 3mm restrictor?....Yes....but which direction is it breathing? Through the heads like stock type 4 engines in 411/412 and 914...or out of the heads?

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

on a 65 degree day oil runs about 195, more if its warmer, it rises about 3 degree's over the 3-4 minute climb. Yea, never dives, just wanders down quickly from the rock steady 53 or so to 10 or 15 lbs less. Factory windage tray is in there with the drain holes hogged out a bit.

Stock 2L 914 heads, the vents run up to the little factory Y piece, I think its the flame arrester, then to the intake. Yes, it has the 3mm restrictor that you
recommended years ago.

One other insight, which may or may not have anything to do with it BUT...
idle speed is where it should be but just barely, cant adjust it any faster, and the cold idle is really not what it should be, even with the aux air regulator fully open when cold. would like to increase these a bit.

yes, the vacuum retard is working and I just checked the points and timing, all is good.

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
on a 65 degree day oil runs about 195, more if its warmer, it rises about 3 degree's over the 3-4 minute climb. Yea, never dives, just wanders down quickly from the rock steady 53 or so to 10 or 15 lbs less. Factory windage tray is in there with the drain holes hogged out a bit.

Stock 2L 914 heads, the vents run up to the little factory Y piece, I think its the flame arrester, then to the intake. Yes, it has the 3mm restrictor that you
recommended years ago.

One other insight, which may or may not have anything to do with it BUT...
idle speed is where it should be but just barely, cant adjust it any faster, and the cold idle is really not what it should be, even with the aux air regulator fully open when cold. would like to increase these a bit.

yes, the vacuum retard is working and I just checked the points and timing, all is good.

Keith

Hmmmm....how steep is this hill? ....and...have you tried to see if it does the same on the return route downhill?

Where and how is your oil pressure gauge plumbed and what kind is it? Electronic or pressure tube?

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

NEver down a hill, always up under heavy throttle. Its a decent hill, long, 3miles or so but I can maintain 70mph up it, just barely with a stock engine and without issue with the 2056 so its not TOO steep, for those in the Northeast, its the hill on the northway going north heading out of lake George.

Ive got a mechanical gauge on it, never found an electronic one that I could rely on or whose sender would last more than a year. its Tee'd off the port for the stock warning light sensor.
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Ran the hill again over the weekend, some sweeping turns at the top did not make anything worse as it crested the hill, so I don't think its sucking air either... still not sure whats going on.

Checked the breather, goes out of breather, thru 3mm reducer, into the intake manif box. Head breathers go thru Y and into the air cleaner manifold, ahead of the throttle valve, That OK? Dcell valve checked OK, still cant quite get the idle speed up to where it should be... another thing that bug's me...

Keith
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

3mm reducer seems too small but then again I dont know what you mean or where the reducer is.

The breather hose should not be restricted or reduced at any point. It needs to have a 1/2" ID hole/hose size throughout, minimum.
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

The reducer is in the hose right out of the breather box, its Ray's suggestion, that then loops back into the intake air distributor. The heads breathers are not restricted and Y back into the air cleaner ahead of the throttle valve, I THINK thats where they are supposed to go.

Keith
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
3mm reducer seems too small but then again I dont know what you mean or where the reducer is.

The breather hose should not be restricted or reduced at any point. It needs to have a 1/2" ID hole/hose size throughout, minimum.

Keith....remind me....are we speaking od D-jet injection here?

If so...to answer Evanfrucht's question........the 3mm restrictor goes in place of the PCV valve. It works far better than the stock PCV valve because its not a variable open and close thing...dumping case pressure into the manifold ....right next to the manifold pressure sensor...causing fuel enrichment excursions.

3mm I have found to work the most perfect. Very occasionally 2.5mm is needed.

Ok...if its D-jet.....AND....you still have the PCV hose...which is the one coming from the oil breather with the 3mm restriction it it.....if you still have it plumbed to the center manifold.....then you are still pulling manifold vacuum to the engine case.....which means you are not pulling ANY air OUT of the rocker boxes. You are pulling air THROUGH the rocker boxes and out the top of the case....through the 3mm restriction and into the center, high vacuum intake manifold.

If its plumbed like this still...everything is good.

Is this a 914....or bug or type 3? I ask because if its 914...its mid engine. Going up hill can pool the excessive oil on the "flywheel end".

In that case.....its possible.....that its not a pickup tube leak.....but a leaking oil pump o-ring causing light cavitation. Thats justa wildcard guess.

What I want to know....is what is your oil pressure gauge set up? Which sensor are you using? Its "possible"....that you are getting oil up in the sensor and getting a strange reading.

Its worth it to actually run a cheap piece of copper tubing to a gauge up in the cockpit....fit it with oil or open a thread and burp it after you start. See how that goes.

If the gauge you are using is one of the dual pole VDO's...I do not trust them.

Also....keep an eye on your voltage. I have no idea yet why it may drop on a long hard climb....but if that happens...gauge can read low. Ray
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

sounds like foaming oil.

Try a different brand of oil.

I found some oils foam worse than others.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
sounds like foaming oil.

Try a different brand of oil.

I found some oils foam worse than others.

Yes...starting to agree....it "sounds" like it could be that. But.....I am not yet buying it (fully).

So going back and re-reading.....its in a type 3 so its normal engine configuration. Not mid engine. I would have started thinking foaming in a 914 in my mind first....simply because I have only a little bit of 914 "DRIVING" experience in the mid engine configuration.....and I just do not know if foaming is more prevalent in mid engine.

I have a LOT of type 4 normal configuration....high rpm and high speed driving experience. I have never seen significant oil foaming with any oil in a type 4. Not saying it does not happen. But I know its not common.

To add a little information into the mystery for those that do not know the back story.....the 3mm PCV "RESTRICTOR"......is not a restrictor. It actually flows about 25-30% more air at maximum vacuum than the stock PCV valve did.

People have a tendency to model.....in their mind.... spring loaded poppet valves like this valve....and the fuel pressure regulator....as opening in a linear and uniform fashion. Not even close to reality.

Just like the motion of the valve springs that allows your intake and exhaust valves to rotate as they open and close.....you get a combination of axial and radial movement as the spring compresses. It has a very slight weak edge directly opposite the end of the spring coil. The little plastic plate "tips" open.....and it only tips open a few thousandths of an inch due to a combination of suction and internal case pressure. One or the other does not do it.

This causes a constant high frequency rattle of opening and closing at high rpm like high rpm highway driving....and an off and on popping open of lower frequency at low speed and traffic. The most common condition of this valve and plate at 100k miles....is that the little plastic plate as eroded away into a cracked 3/4 moon shape and its now just a vacuum leak.

But it works as a case pressure bleed in that condition....except thats its constant and not random. By the time this happens....it causes the engine to now run more uniformly at low traffic speeds.....but is running overall slightly rich. Its far simpler to make a uniform case vent of the right size.....and make the counteraction fuel mixture adjustment at the MPS.

This mainly makes a difference in cold starting and off the line throttle response and in traffic running speeds in about 1800 to 2500 rpm range. Above that you will rarely if ever see any difference.
Its mainly about getting the tune right on the MPS....and getting rid of the random disturbance it causes to the MPS....that the ECU has no way to correct for.

But......going back to the possible foaming issue (if thats it). In this PCV system.....air is pulled THROUGH the heads....THROUGH the PR tubes.....and out the top of the case.

Its a long shot.....but just process of elimination.....perhaps....at an angle going up hill.....if one or two PR tubes are submerged in oil and its pulling TOO MUCH air through those tubes (one would "think" the air would go to the other tubes....less resistance).....maybe its causing foaming?

So a test of this on that hill might be to temporarily block off both head PCVA inlet tubes right above the Y connector.....so you have no more air going through the heads and PR tubes.
This lets the 3mm restrictor and main vacuum line just pull what blow by may exist out of the case outlet at the top.

Just try that and see if anything changes.

I still want to know how oil pressure is being measured. What gauge, what sender and what set up.

Ray
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

I can say this for sure..
I drag race. My motors don't get much warmup before running WOT to redline.

I used to run Mobil1 synth oil
I found it foamed really bad when cold.
So much so, that the dip stick would read 1/2qt over full after a pass. Wait 10min and its back to normal. ( could see the foamy oil on the dipstick.

It killed rod bearings.

I run PennGrade oil today because it does not foam no matter what.
I have no other experience.
I just know that chaining oil brands solved my problem ..
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
I can say this for sure..
I drag race. My motors don't get much warmup before running WOT to redline.

I used to run Mobil1 synth oil
I found it foamed really bad when cold.
So much so, that the dip stick would read 1/2qt over full after a pass. Wait 10min and its back to normal. ( could see the foamy oil on the dipstick.

It killed rod bearings.

I run PennGrade oil today because it does not foam no matter what.
I have no other experience.
I just know that chaining oil brands solved my problem ..

Interesting! I don't doubt your word.

I think we should also ask what his rpm was on this hill. As you note...it may just be the oil he is using under these conditions....foaming.

Ray
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Yes, Squareback.
Mechanical oil pressure gauge, copper line all the way up to it, been very reliable and rock steady for the past 30 years, only wavers on the top of the big hills on the highway. came down about 15 lbs on the last run, generally sits at about 50-53PSI on the highway otherwise. New motor, only a couple thousand miles on it.

Running Joe Gibbs DT50, Jake Raby's recommendation (Its his old 2056 kit)

2056 GA case with 2L heads and runners, matched to a Bus IAD and 42mm throttle body (that I got from you Ray, Thanks) Breather comes from the box, thru the restrictor and into the IAD.

Heads breath thru the Y connector into the intake before the throttle body, air cleaner side.

Yes, the D jet, Ive got it tuned pretty well now with a couple minor issues Ill post in the PhD post when I get time.

Ill try blocking off the head vents next run I make to the camp, see if it changes anything.

Thanks

Keith
Keith Park
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Well I ran the same hill, same speed, same weather, but with the head vents plugged where they went into the air cleaner,
And Walla! NO loss in oil pressure!

Ok, this tells us something, but should I try a restrictor in that hose or something else??
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

Keith Park wrote:
Well I ran the same hill, same speed, same weather, but with the head vents plugged where they went into the air cleaner,
And Walla! NO loss in oil pressure!

Ok, this tells us something, but should I try a restrictor in that hose or something else??

The crankcase is not breathing properly... cavitation is occurring...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting oil pressure issue Reply with quote

My experiance with foaming is with raw crude oil and I can tell you with total confidence that the thicker the crude oil is the harder it is and longer it takes to control foam. The difference is HUGE! Also, the thicker it is the longer it takes to run back from the heads to the sump. As Ohio Tom says temperature plays a big part too. Keep that oil temp up and the foam will go down.

Try dumping that tar you are using and put in regular 10W30. Report back please.

Hint: In the patch we use an anti-foam chemical which consists of, for the most part - diesel. It is amazing how little diesel it takes to do the job! 20 liters of diesel will take the bellyache out of a 60,000 liter vessel in just a few minutes if the oil is warm enough.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: