Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
what are you even doing with your life?

evidently living it wrong Laughing

never been a fan of the Jerusalem Cruisers. guess spending my entire life in an industrial setting has made me come to find steel toe footwear the norm

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

That's for working on the van. When you're cruising you need to rock the Berk'n'Socks.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
If you're not wearing socks and sandals when driving your VW van, what are you even doing with your life?
Shocked LOL!! Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

I just wear the sandals, no socks..... Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

well...

insurance should be all settled. van at 45k and the rest got bumped up as well. grand total for all 4 is just under 1300/year so i really can't complain

this buffing project sucks. going over it x3 with various products/methods to bring it back and it's taking forever but it looks pretty killer

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the sliding door....

really didn't have high hopes for this but figured fuckit, i got nothing to lose so i wet sanded the shitty blend a bit before i attacked it. i have to wonder WTF drove someone to do this. i cant see any reason... it must have been a hell of a scrape because there is NO signs of a dent inside the door

before

after

it calmed down quite a lot but no doubt it's still there.

the blend on the right rear window came out pretty good. paint could have used a touch more of red and black i think but it is what it is

before

after

still have a few more panels to do and hit the jambs. everything in here looks like a giant cheeto exploded Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Just read this entire thread while our 3month old took a nap, wow! Looking good Skills! The 77 cape cod sage bus I got was in similar condition, all the injectors and engine bits were so brittle and rusted. It was hard to save any engine tin and other small bits. Your westy looks to be in better shape and man-o-man you’re doing a good job. Makes me want to save up for a vanagon and then take $50k outta my 401k and ask that you add me to your waiting list... Twisted Evil

Now that you’ve turned to the dark side (vanagon), when are you starting the synchro powered with a Subaru 6 cylinder? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

I can dig the fuch reps. looks pretty killer for a brown vanagon.
I missed a few pages of this thread but great work and updates.

Are you polishing the paint by hand?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
Just read this entire thread while our 3month old took a nap, wow! Looking good Skills! The 77 cape cod sage bus I got was in similar condition, all the injectors and engine bits were so brittle and rusted. It was hard to save any engine tin and other small bits. Your westy looks to be in better shape and man-o-man you’re doing a good job. Makes me want to save up for a vanagon and then take $50k outta my 401k and ask that you add me to your waiting list... Twisted Evil

Now that you’ve turned to the dark side (vanagon), when are you starting the synchro powered with a Subaru 6 cylinder? Laughing

thanks. i watched you suffer the same way i did on this one. i had fun doing this one (mostly) and not sure how i would handle a swap for the 'public' if you will.

i have the bay stuff nailed down pretty good but you can buy "kits" for these. pretty obvious i don't have an issue squeezing the trigger on the money gun but there were some things that made the whole deal look sloppy...no matter which vendor was used.

for one i didn't like the exhaust cooking the timing belt or the foolish heat shields that make it miserable to do anything on the front of the engine. some cooling configurations have hoses kinda routed goofy and look out of place.

i spent hours looking for hoses that had the right curve/bend so it looked the part. anyway, you're a smart enough guy....you could pull it off. i'd be happy to do one for you too....but i wouldn't drain my saving for this.

not 100% finished but i think this has to be one of the most 'factory' looking swaps

i'm still on the fence about having the fresh air pipe coated in a wrinkle finish. not sure i'm digging the polished aluminum

erste wrote:
I can dig the fuch reps. looks pretty killer for a brown vanagon.
I missed a few pages of this thread but great work and updates.

Are you polishing the paint by hand?

thanks. i have the fuch's on my 70. not 100% sold on the look for the vanagon but like i said earlier it was a case of having tire size choices that are load rated.

in terms of polishing....well....kind of

i'm going between my 3 and 6" pads on my air polisher. reason being is there are too many obstacles for a conventional buffer and the paint is thin here and there.

kind of funny...found runs and fish eyes in the original paint.

got to DMV on tuesday so it's all legit now. still dialing in a few things before i drive it. one being making the seat slide back another couple inches

my last cut got away from me a bit. didn't radius it yet but should clean up enough to get the slider bar to lock in. doing this grabbed me another 2" of aft motion with the sacrifice of some backrest rake. i could probably do another tooth or 2 but this will work out just fine

also got the slider panel done and painted as well as the rear hatch

still need to install a few clips for the slider. hopefully i will take it for a blast in the next day or so

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

first road test in the books. took the family for a hot lap

trans temp didn't budge till we were about home. 20 miles and just barely hit 150*

driveway shot

got back home and popped the top. interior not 100% just yet but we ended up having a celebratory ice cream

someone asked my opinion on LED's for these. i like them. pics don't do them justice but it's actually a nice light.

i scored a bunch of NOS crap in my last haul and the light "reflectors" on top of the speedo/tach are NOS. old ones were decent but kind of yellowed out

overall test drive went good EXCEPT the following:

-cross bar chatter on the top at about 65

-EVIL rattle in the sink lid

-left rear backing plate rubbing the drum

the worst part is the backing plate. i fucked and fucked and fucked s'more with them on the lift. they made a bit of noise with the aftermarket drums and i though i had it. on a good hard "spirited" corner it started to sing.

should be easy enough to find seeing i'll have some witness marks in my new paint Evil or Very Mad

it's trippy to drive. almost broke my left ankle looking for the clutch a couple times. kinda brainless....slip it in "D" and hammer down. it boogies down the road pretty dam good to be honest.

got a few things to dial in, (interior, alignment finish the propane tank etc) but all in all it went pretty good

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

I love it when a plan comes together. Great to see you back on the road. Mark
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

That's a fun looking driveway. Please post mad skids. Laughing
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Congratulations!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Good to see it finally driving.. Cool Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
That's a fun looking driveway. Please post mad skids. Laughing

NO Evil or Very Mad

my driveway is a bit more than a 1/4 mile long and only the top portion around the house and shop is asphalt. every delivery asshole treats it like a drag strip and kicks up rocks that in turn hit the bottom of my lowered sharTTruck

about 5 years ago i got pissed at all of them...ups/usps/fedex and called to complain about this. i'm not much of a complainer like that but it was getting out of hand.

after doing this several times and getting nowhere i asked the drivers to take it easy. after that didn't work i called them all back and literally threatened to shot every tire off of every delivery truck that went more the 5 mph up the driveway.

well...that got peoples attention. not sure in todays social climate i'd be able to pull that off and not end up in jail from some red flag law bullshit. anyway it did work until recently....lots of turnover from my regular delivery guys so i need to do something again.

i had that driveway honed down like glass for years. i really don't want to get the roller running again (yea...like real deal asphalt roller) nor do i want to go rooting around the gravel pit we have and pull another 20-30 yards out to fix it.

so there will be no rallycross in skills driveway please Laughing

just glad to have it back in the wind. like i said i have a few issues to sort out but all in all it's gone pretty well so far

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

The van looks terrific - great stance. Well done!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Oh boy! Look what I missed!!

Looks fantastic - great job Skillz!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Beautiful job! I love to see your attention to detail with everything you do. Will you be going to Terryville this weekend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Oh boy! Look what I missed!!

Looks fantastic - great job Skillz!

Thanks Paul! hope you and the family are enjoying the bus this year Cool

xoo00oox wrote:
Beautiful job! I love to see your attention to detail with everything you do. Will you be going to Terryville this weekend?

Thanks Andrew! I was going to give you a call/email and see if you still needed those bay window parts we chatted about. I hope to bring this to terryville as long as i can get a few more shakedown miles on it. as of now, i plan to be there

not sure i will get the alignment done, and the propane tank isn't 100% ready to install yet but i may just run it as is.

had a chance to investigate my backing plate rub and despite my best efforts trying to to make it not rub, it rubbed

so, it was time for the drum to meet my little friend

shaved about 1/16 off of it. haven't driven it yet but i suspect it will be fine. i've run into this 100 times on the bay windows so i'm not surprised. seems the drums no matter what...brembo/ATE etc are all off just a bit in this area.

also trimmed down the front bump stops which i 100% forgot to do when i put it together. only took a few minutes to do.

everything else looks ok but i only have 20 miles on it so far

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Looks fantastic - congrats on getting it on the road and for sharing the build - I have learned a lot from this thread. All the best.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: