Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

I have an early 1968 Bug chassis Vin 11837…. The 9-pin black box #211953227A and the two-prong e-switch has been removed and discarded. I installed a 552 relay. A project kit car sits on as a body. I have running lights, but no turn signals. No clicking, when turn signals are set . The speedo turn arrows come on solid, but do no blink.
I want to install a common trailer light kit for the rear lights, the kind with the flat 4 wire loom. I noticed that the trailer lights have just one bulb and the OEM VW rear lights have two.
I can get the trailer running lights on, but again no flash. Help – is it a bad relay, crossed-wires, bad ground or is it even possible to hook up trailer lights to a bug and still use the steering column turn lever? Any help would be appreciated.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

What "lights" are you using.... Generally the current draw through front and rear bulbs cause the flasher to operate and lights blink...

IF you try to tie the brake lights into the turnsignals you are probably going to have a additional problem....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This sketch shows a three prong flasher, but a two prong flasher operates exactly the same the only difference is you connect pilot lamp to same lead (L in sketch) that goes to TS switch Do not try to connect brake lights into this circuit it will flub everything up...

IF you want brake lights and turn signally to use same filament in lamps you probable are going to have to use some sort of after market switch...

This is internal basics of flasher only a two prong does not have he "P" terminal and pilot lamp connects externally to "L" lead..

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. My project is a super bugger which has the nose of a stock vw bug and the coach of a camper. Everything from the cowl forward is stock. The steering column add-on switch would not fit the short neck. Most likely a dash mount type would work . I was thinking of installing two sets of rear tail trailer lights. One just for the running lights and one set just for the stop and turn. I want to keep it simple. Could I still use the stock VW front fender lights for the run and turn? Attached photo for reference.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

In the 1970s when SuperBuggers were being built, I lived 1/2 mile away. Always seemed a cool concept, but I don't like the execution. And I suppose that's just the nature of the beast, making a Class C motorhome out of a Bug.

The Bug you show is originally a 1969 or later Bug. That does NOT guarantee that any of the parts on it now are 1969 or any other year. The car is about 50 years old. LOTS of things are likely to have been changed in the meanwhile.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

I use 2 sets of rear lights on my buggy with stock front turn signals and stock switches. My chassis is 1969 but the speedo and possibly the steering column are from 1964.

I have park lights wired to the low side of both sets of rear lights, brakes lights are on the inside rear lights, and turn signals on the outside rear lights.

My old RV also used multiple rear lights, but they are wired differently.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

Nice ride! I think I'll do what you did and install two sets of rear tail lights. Thanks.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

mickey12 wrote:

Quote:
My project is a super bugger which has the nose of a stock vw bug and the coach of a camper.

KOOOOOL!!

First one of those that I have ever seen!!

I'll bet it gets a lot of "What the H#LL???" looks. Laughing Laughing

Would love to see some photos of the interior.

I like the two sets of tail lights approach.

I there ANYTHING that hasn't been done with a VW??????

STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing trailer lights on a Kit Car Reply with quote

No interior yet, will post soon!!!!!!!!!!!1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: