Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

Hi everyone had a few questions regarding my swap for anyone who has done this swap. My first question is do I need 68 69 only shocks? My torsion arm bolt is the shorter. My. Next question is what master cylinder do I need 68 69 only again? Just a couple questions before I even start. Thanks just curious anyone did this swap what year parts they used?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

The shocks attach only to the beam, so use the bay shocks.

Use a '67 master cylinder if you want dual circuit brakes, and use an earlier master cylinder if you don't mind single circuit brakes. The brakes are no different than a '63-'67 bus.

The bay beam will put the wheels further towards the back of the wheel opening. It is not a big deal, but it is noticeable when you have seen it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

Thanks lind this picture is how it looks with a latebay front end so I’m mainly doing this to upgrade to stock 15.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

… picture is a disc brake Bay adapter, on a 1957 bus- z

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

68-69 use a smaller bolt pattern mounting to the frame than a 1970-79. If you have a beam already mounted, I'd just change to the drum brake spindles. It actually gets a little complicated as the torsion bars are softer 68-69 because the extra frame members added 1970 up model year made the later buses over 200lb heavier in the front.
I too, like early wide 5 wheels, but I think if that were mine, I leave the later setup just to enjoy the later brakes. Plus I could always swap wheels with my Vanagon or late bay.
I rather like the non stock green color.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

Thanks al for the input although The beam in it is hacked..ever seen a late beam fit? Not pretty you cut the beam open on both sides..I was shocked when I first saw it #1 of my first things to replace and get that out. Ya the latebay a have different pattern to bolt up so there solution just drill new hole so it would mount. No thanks…so that is why I found an early bay so it mounts right up. This disc brakes don’t matter to me bc the bootee was never hooked up you really have to step on it to stop so I figured wasn’t really a downgrade as good drums stop just as well. Just my option on that on why I’m heading this route..
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
Thanks al for the input although The beam in it is hacked..ever seen a late beam fit? Not pretty you cut the beam open on both sides..I was shocked when I first saw it #1 of my first things to replace and get that out. Ya the latebay a have different pattern to bolt up so there solution just drill new hole so it would mount. No thanks…so that is why I found an early bay so it mounts right up. This disc brakes don’t matter to me bc the bootee was never hooked up you really have to step on it to stop so I figured wasn’t really a downgrade as good drums stop just as well. Just my option on that on why I’m heading this route..

Fully agree. I'm pretty ambivalent about disc brakes myself. Pretty flat here. I guess if I lived in the mountains or and a big 100mph engine, maybe I'd have different values.
Good call on the 68-9 beam. You will want the early torsion bars, not the 1970 on. I put later ones in my 69 double cab and it was just too stiff.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

I have an early bay beam installed on my deluxe. And it worked well over the last 25 years or so Wink

It lifts the front a bit higher than stock though. So you might want to make it adjustable - about 40-50mm will do.

Doing that you also might want to replace the lower rubber stops with the sort of the upper ones. That gives a bit more clearance when you hit a deep bump...

And then you’ll also need a modified shifting link.

3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

The bay beam will give you a smoother ride.
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

Thanks Tizian for the pics, do you have a part number of the shocks you have?what year Master cylinder are you running? Curious as the shocks look like Monroe and have heard decent reviews.
Also hear great things on the koni brand shocks.
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

I also found out why I was having such a hard time with the master cylinder well in your pic that bracket that holds it is gone. Mine got cut off to fit the other hackage. Is there a replacement you can buy and weld back?
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
Thanks Tizian for the pics, do you have a part number of the shocks you have?what year Master cylinder are you running? Curious as the shocks look like Monroe and have heard decent reviews.
Also hear great things on the koni brand shocks.

Yes, those are Monroes, but I don’t have a part no. at hand. Konis are great, but pricey. They are adjustable in hardness.

The master is an dual ATE as per original for the 67 model.

The early bays didn’t have this bracket on the beam. That’s where the booster is attached on the later models.
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a 68 bay window beam in my 63 Reply with quote

No sorry for the confusion my original bracket has been cut off since the late has it attached to the beam. I’ve run into that and which shocks to buy has held the project took it out for a drive but 1st and 2nd gear were hard to find 3rd and 4th super easy to find and reverse back into the garage. Might be telling me to swap the beam or just something else needing some love
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: