Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit ’78 identify these struts
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Vintage diesel Rabbit needs front end work. Entire struts are a little costly, but new shocks are affordable. How much work is involved putting shocks inside that spring, with the struts out? Is there any other worn out parts that say I should buy the whole strut assembly? Can a standard car shop do it successfully if I bring in the struts and shocks?

EDITed the subject line as I figure this out

Last edited by Gnarlodious on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 pros and cons of new struts vs shocks Reply with quote

You cannot put shocks on the front of your Rabbit. You can get strut inserts or strut assemblies & most shops should be able to install them. You will also need to get upper mounts and bump stops.

Rock auto has the inserts starting at $17 each.

I would suggest that you remove the assemblies yourself & let the shop install the inserts. The upper bolt attaching the strut to the steering knuckle has an eccentric cam on it for camber adjustment, inevitability, the tech school flunkies put the impact gun in the bolt side & destroy this difficult to find bolt.

In addition to this, there is a 1”-ish collar/spacer that is fitted into the strut mount, under the top nut. These are usually tossed with old strut mounts by the inattentive impact jockeys who then just hammer the nut down until tight, binding the part that’s supposed to turn freely.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 pros and cons of new struts vs shocks Reply with quote

better to use a torque wrench for the large strut nut. If too tight the shock will bind and not move freely in / out. Too loose other trouble is going to happen.

$ 280 for a complete pair of sachs shocks / struts / springs units ready to install is not bad. By the time you buy all parts and have them installed at a shop i doubt you are going to save any money.

Note: I have also seen rusted thru lower spring seats on old struts. They are only 40 years old !
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 pros and cons of new struts vs shocks Reply with quote

Before I take it apart, trying to figure out which struts I have in there, internal or externally threaded? I got a picture with my cellphone of the top, can anyone identify this type?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
There is one notch on a sort of thick round washer welded onto the top, I think. This is a 1978, the first year of Rabbit in the USA, if it makes a difference.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Since the top is on the outside of the housing, that would be externally threaded.

BUT, there is the possibility that those have been replaced before and that they are aftermarket ones that are sealed/welded. Clean the housing just below the cap & see if there are any threads visible.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Thanks, that’s what I suspected. Not too likely these were ever worked on since the car only has 55,000 miles on it. Should I be able to unscrew that cap with a pipe wrench? Can I put a new “insert” in there?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

I use two chain wrenches, one on the housing, & the other on the cap & even then, it can take quite a bit of force to separate them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the support! I took the struts in to a local shop along with new Monroe inserts. They installed them and I was surprised to see some upgraded top nuts:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess they came with the inserts but I didnt open the box.

Does anyone know what plastic anti-squeak tubing to put over the springs? For next time I take it apart.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

looks like you just put the destroyed bump stops back on so i assume you didnt buy the upper strut bearings like tdctdi told you either...so to save you the time of posting again that bang you still hear when you hit bumps will be cured by those parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

This car only has 50,000 miles on it so everything is in good condition, as you can see. Just that all the oil came out of the cylinders! But it was parked in my grandpa's machinery shed for 32 years so I'll let it go.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Just wanted to update you all, the little car is put back together and running well! No more dipping and knocking on bumps! handles much better. Thanks for the advice.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

Nice car! Not often you find a low mile older diesel. That one was still built in Germany by the was so fit, finish and the interior are much better than the later USA assembled ones.

Oh, and '78 was not the first year, '75 was. My Buddy had a '75 diesel 1.3 liter and I still have a '76 gas one. '78 was a good year though, it had some nice upgrades.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit ’78 identify these struts Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but it still needs new bump stops unless you did change them. Good Luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: