Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baby Sleeping in a Westy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Thinking about a short camping excursion in the Westy.

I figured the 8 month old could sleep on the child's cot, but wife is afraid he'll roll off, as he's kind of at that point now.

So I was just curious what others have done to let a baby sleep soundly and safely in the Bus?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

It’s been decades since I’ve has a little one myself, but when I took my grandson camping when he was an infant, a couple of towels rolled up on either side of him kept him from rolling to the edge. You’re a smart and handy guy, if she doesn’t like that idea, whip up a couple of guards and clamp them to the support rods with carpenter clamps.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Duck tape could be useful here..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Duck tape could be useful here..

meh... i'm more of a velcro guy. couple of strips across the ass cheeks and you're in business

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
My wife had the same concerns. I pushed the issue, she was not happy and nothing ever happened. Miles slept in the child cot from ~3 months old till he was 5 and now he sleeps in the cot in the pop top. We do put a nice soft blanket down over the cot as a sheet, he really likes that.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Neither of my kids have ever rolled out of the cot. It has a natural way of keeping you sucked in the middle of it. I thought when my daughter was the same age as yours that I would have to rig up a net or something. Never needed to and now she's 12, tall and about to spend two weeks in the same cot! (probably need to roll one front window down to cot height so she can hang her feet out now).
And you can alway put bags and soft stuff where she might roll out and might help everyone sleep better. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Big sleeping bag as booster. We just kept having kids and out the youngest in the inside. Works up to about 5
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

We left the bottom seat up, and put the baby in the back, and we slept up top.

It's the perfect place.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

all my kids have slept in the front cot, they loved it, no issues at all.

I also used to worry about the gap at end of pop top roof as well but that's also never been a problem.

But i know where you're coming from, as a parent you worry about all this stuff Wink

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
We left the bottom seat up, and put the baby in the back, and we slept up top.

It's the perfect place.

Pre-baby, we slept in the bottom bunk, but this does seem like the winning idea for a smaller baby who can also roll around quite a bit!

As a bonus, it provides easier sleeping room for the ding-dang dogs should the join us.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
But i know where you're coming from, as a first time parent you worry about all this stuff Wink

After 3 all this stuff is unimportant , at 6 it isn’t even a blur anymore [/b]

Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Wow... this puts into perspective what I've missed over the last xxx months! Congrats!!

We didn't have a child's cot, but did have a cushion for on top of the cool/storage bins between the cupboards and rear closet. Each of our 2 boys started there. Eventually, the bottom bunk became Mummy and babe/infant until #2 came along. #1 joined me upstairs then and we were worried about the same outcome, but higher up. We took a mesh laundry bag, opened it up, secured one side under the snap screws for the upper cushion, then strung 3 carabiners to the top, front of the poptop (sides and middle). We called it the pillow catcher. It worked really well.

Good luck and enjoy!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Dave,
Here’s Miles at 3 months old on his first camping adventure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here he is last month shooting his Daisy in Canyon Lands.

Don’t be so freaked out about it. Kids are resilient, he’ll survive.
’65 Deluxe Build
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Reminds of the little rascals episode where spanky is watching a bunch of little kids, and he glues ones diapers to the stairs so he cant get away, remarkable.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

Ours has a footboard that goes here instead of the extra length panel for the bed, its made of pretty solid wood and looks like it came the Riviera, I'll have to get a photo of it when I get a chance. Its held in place with the same holes that hold the extra part of the bed. It stores under the extra bed here:

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby Sleeping in a Westy Reply with quote

The suggestion to put him over the engine won out! I didn't get a great pic when we camped at my wife's aunt and uncle's house, but he slept like a baby (ha!) back there, and as a bonus, the crib sheet stretched to fit that cushion pretty well.

Here's a pic from this evening. We took the bus out to the local state park to swim and eat dinner.

He'd fallen asleep so we thought he'd have a little nap back there, but this was moments after laying him down!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: