Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

YOUR pipe dream engine combos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

How about we dont derail the thread again Wink . Nobody cares which is "better" or what makes more power. If you want a discussion make another thread.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

How about a simple mild turbo engine? Stock plus, with a small turbo tucked where the muffler normally resides. It should add a little power and really overcome some of the limits of the long stock intake manifold and small carb.

Start with a stock SP or DP engine (or perhaps a 36 horse for an older Bug.) Replace the exhaust with a header feeding into a small turbo sized for an engine that rarely exceeds 4500 rpm. Boost reference the stock fuel pump, o-ring the pump pushrod. Likely need to rethink ignition, but looking stock enough. Stuff the 5-6 psi output of that into the stock carb. The idea is nothing expensive, very drivable, just perhaps 10-15 extra horsepower. I suspect a good late Mexican style filter oil pump should be a part of this, turbos being sensitive to crap in the oil.

I'd like to stick that in my buggy. The 36 horse version would be too cool in my '57.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
How about a simple mild turbo engine? Stock plus, with a small turbo tucked where the muffler normally resides. It should add a little power and really overcome some of the limits of the long stock intake manifold and small carb.

Start with a stock SP or DP engine (or perhaps a 36 horse for an older Bug.) Replace the exhaust with a header feeding into a small turbo sized for an engine that rarely exceeds 4500 rpm. Boost reference the stock fuel pump, o-ring the pump pushrod. Likely need to rethink ignition, but looking stock enough. Stuff the 5-6 psi output of that into the stock carb. The idea is nothing expensive, very drivable, just perhaps 10-15 extra horsepower. I suspect a good late Mexican style filter oil pump should be a part of this, turbos being sensitive to crap in the oil.

I'd like to stick that in my buggy. The 36 horse version would be too cool in my '57.

I plan to do something very similar to this is a bus. But using a complete 1600i Mexican Beetle engine. Not my dream build by any means, but a low boost, fuel injected, hydraulic cam engine should be a pretty dead reliable daily driver setup that will last for a long time.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtwaller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Here is an article all you square engine people need to read and understand.

https://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-53-big-bore-or...USn6dT1FuE

Your guy specifically says not street car application. I’m not trying to beat you down an 1/8th mile track. I’m wanting to drive the street, get into mud, drive up a mountain. A square, torque monster, easy to cool cylinders, are a big time deal to me. And this is my pipe dream. I think you took it wrong from the beginning.
( O \ ! / O )
1973 Thing
1969 Squareback
1967 Bug
1968 Bug
1971 Bug
mark tucker wrote:
the more you stroke it the better it feals.bore it out while your there, you will like it if you do it corectly. watch out for the ones that are used and abused, they can be headaches.well all of them can be headaches.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Cool

What happened to your other post????

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
EVfun wrote:

I plan to do something very similar to this is a bus. But using a complete 1600i Mexican Beetle engine. Not my dream build by any means, but a low boost, fuel injected, hydraulic cam engine should be a pretty dead reliable daily driver setup that will last for a long time.

Me three Very Happy I've a good Mexican 1600 as a spare engine . driving an NA high performance 2.6lt (what some would consider a dream engine) as a daily driver is hard on the ears . the exhaust has 2 mufflers and a hotdog (cherry bomb ) and is still loud , the intake from 48 DRLA's with only 42mm main venturis' fitted is loud . MPG is ok . it's just the noise ,every day .
Maybe I should never have bought the old Merc 300ce , it's what I judge a cars comfort from . Young folks , get old is no fun !!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/STAVTECH/videos/1000bhp-4...028098407/

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=59620

easy swap
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Dream engine?

gonna have to go with something in the 250HP/torque range that starts instantly in all weather conditions; drives without hesitation, hiccups, or misfires throughout entire rpm range; maintains adequate cooling; AFR stays within perfect ranges per rpm/load; all induction stays in sync; and doesn't drip a drop of oil.

(AND, with silent hydraulic lifters so I never have to adjust the valves Wink)

I mean I sorta did that with an F20C. But then we cranked a supercharger on the side so now it requires a little pre-start cranking and babying while the oil and block warms up and builds pressure just to be on the safe side...
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Wow, I just want to say I got the biggest kick out of reading this thread, especially the last four pages! It so reminded me of what I went through when I set out to build my own pipe-dream engine (NA 76mm stroke x 83mm bore with as light a valve train as possible). Everyone I talked to about the possible pitfalls of building such an oddball mule all said the same thing: square engines were a bunch of hooey, and I'd do better with a 1679 or a 1776.

They couldn't have been more wrong! Of course, they all assumed I was looking for high RPM power (in which case they might have been right), but I wasn't. I was after low RPM power and a torque band so flat you could eat your lunch off it, which is what longer strokes give you.

P.S. That article about stroke vs bore- https://rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-53-big-bore-or...USn6dT1FuE -isn't terrible, but there are some glaring mistakes in it. He's right when he says the mechanical leverage is greatest at the point when the connecting rod is perpendicular to its respective crank throw, but this doesn't occur anywhere near 80 degrees (at least, not in an ACVW). In a stock 1600cc, it's closer to about 63 degrees. Increasing the stroke decreases this angle, for example, a 76mm stroke reduces it to about 61.5 degrees. The smaller the angle, the more the engine is capable of using peak in-cylinder pressures to produce torque. Smaller bores also help reduce the loss of in-cylinder pressure as the piston moves away from TDC. He probably got confused with max piston velocity, which does occur close to 80 degrees ATDC (76.6 degrees in a stock 1600, to be exact). Also, if he is saying peak in-cylinder pressure occurs at 30 degrees ATDC, I would say he needs to advance his timing by about 10 to 15 degrees.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Splitdog wrote:
Cool

What happened to your other post????

Nobody cares. It was nothing really.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

i wonder... how hard it would be to have a set of 2 stroke cylinders made for a vdub.

has anyone heard of a 2 stoke type 1 or 4?

either than or make the cam a 1:1 drive like the detroit 2 stroke diesels

like heres an LS 2 stroke

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iF2X1wttyoQ
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

I doubt it
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

thats easy!! 2.7L Porsche RS flat six...

but really

2276 I think

Aluminum bubble top case
Scat crank / Rods
CSP 94mm pistons
came would need to make good 2500 to 6500 power
CB 044's with type 3 mani's done up right
Dual dell 45's
cb magnaspark ignition
lightened flywheel .

i guess a SOLID performer is what i want, something i wouldn't be concerned running in 110* heat . Its a VW engine doing what it was never designed to do..

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Pauter SuperPro Big Block

https://pauter.com/parts/super-pro/

The tremendously strong foundation provided by the one-piece block, the cross bolted main caps and V-8 sized journals of this innovative engine permits the use of all forms of induction and all fuel types. Amazingly, crank strokes of up to 96mm (3.78″) and bores of 108mm (4.25″) can be accommodated, giving a maximum displacement of just over 3.5 liters (215 cu. in.) Dyno results on one of our own turbocharged methanol (no nitro, no nitrous) version at 35 lbs boost produced over 980 hp and 780 ft/lbs torque at 7400 rpm and 6800 rpm, respectively. Pauter blocks are also available in a number of bore sizes and head stud patterns or our Uni-Block model which features a 94mm bore and small point locations for Type 1, ARPM 3.0L or AutoCraft 4″ stud patterns. This from a package very close in overall dimensions to the 92 cubic inch original.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I doubt it

you are... correct!! Laughing Turns out its a banshee sound and a little video editing. But.... here is a real 2 stroke v8. what it used to be i have no idea.

Link

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

I doubt it

you are... correct!! Laughing Turns out its a banshee sound and a little video editing. But.... here is a real 2 stroke v8. what it used to be i have no idea.

Link

I believe that is/was an outboard motor....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

I feel that a 2T type1 motor could be done. There wouldn’t need to be a cam, so the pushrod tubes could acts as passages for the transfer ports. Although, there would need to be massive amounts of filler taking up the extra space in the case to get the correct case compression to push the mixture through the transfers. The top of the case is unobstructed enough to have proper case induction. From what I’ve seen others do with a T1 engine, I’m sure it could be done.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

super charge it, no need to pressure ize the case.add turbo for more boost if you wish it. you could exzaust it through the cylinders or the ex valve. many ways to skin cats.even intae and exhaust on the cylinders and no heads, just a plate...with sparking bolts screwed in ( finned of coarse) then no worries about valve float.or pushrods, springs, good valves not required at all.
SandHamwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: YOUR pipe dream engine combos Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
super charge it, no need to pressure ize the case.add turbo for more boost if you wish it. you could exzaust it through the cylinders or the ex valve. many ways to skin cats.even intae and exhaust on the cylinders and no heads, just a plate...with sparking bolts screwed in ( finned of coarse) then no worries about valve float.or pushrods, springs, good valves not required at all.

Good point about super charging into the cylinder.

You have to check out “2strokestuffing” YouTube channel (and Instagram). He’s a home hobbyists in the Netherlands taking 2 stroke designs beyond what anyone else has ever done. Really crazy stuff including his current build using an AMR super charger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: