Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Nice work so far. Following.

71 Westfalia https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=633955

74 Super Beetle Convertible Sun Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748008

Past VW's:
71 Karmann Ghia Autostick. 17-21. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727596
70 Karmann Ghia driven 00-03, 67 Karmann Ghia 91-97, 74 Karmann Ghia 92-94, 71 Karmann Ghia 87-92, 74 Super Beetle 86-87, 71 Karmann Ghia 85-86 (my avatar)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Really great work and an inspiration for all us less talented VW guys. One thought,your door cards look great but the Masonite can absorb water and get swollen. I used expanded polyurethane which is what sign makers use. Totally waterproof !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Hey JIMBO!
Well, since you asked, let me grumble to ya. Freaking TERMITES!! I live with four women, so anything with more than two legs freaks them out. We had the house Tented by the exterminators about two weeks ago. My problem--I needed to move everything four feet away from the house...motors, trannys, my '78 pan, plants, the cat, etc... Then bag all the food to prevent contamination. Then return everything after the tent is removed.
That kinda killed my momentum with the Bug. I have enjoyed watching you though-( Both fenders with "Torn" metal? How does that even happen!?) Rolling Eyes I did feel a little selfish for not reciprocating the entertainment though. So, thanks for asking and giving me a little kick in rear.

Tvättbjörn,
Thanks much for the tip. Idea My father in-law actually has a few of those steel spreaders for, like tiling and Drywall mud. I will definitely be trying that for the next large area.

trynne,
That Foam door card is brilliant! Absolutely no rot or water damage on those. If I hadn't already started on mine I would definitely have looked into those. I think I'll give that a try on the Trunk carpeting cards. They should be so much lighter and foldable.

bruehoyt,
So cool! I had just referenced one of your photos of the SunBug earlier in the week.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I browse TheSamba, I clip photos that I can reference later. I used yours for the top interior of the door frame. Sorry, I cut out your sweet daughter. I have two teenage daughters myself and I recognize that look your daughter was giving the camera.( The pained look of tolerance of her parent wanting to take a picture!). Crying or Very sad

So, yah... I was waiting for that plastic tube to arrive from Grainger. It did finally come in, but then the Termite thing happened. Do the Northern states have to deal with Termites? I'm thinking it's too cold over the winters.

Anyway, I had to finish the body-working of the interior door which I had started already. In the picture, it doesn't look too bad, but it was. You may remember how much I tortured the doors earlier. Twisted Evil

My main concern was the visible areas around the Door Card and the jams. But, my O.C.D. kicked in and I started to do areas under the Door Card that no one will ever see!

Then I came across the top interior door frame. It was pretty wavy. I didn't remember anything amiss in this area when I stripped it down. Was it a little concave? Or was it just plum straight? That's when I went on a picture hunt in my files and found a good shot on the open door from bruehoyt. Looks straight to me. With the Suicide thing, when the door is open, it would be very noticeable looking down the line of the door if it was not straight.

It doesn't look like much work but, it took me all week. So many nooks and crannys in those never will be seen areas. Embarassed I got it pretty decent. I still gotta do a little Pinhole filling and missed spots but, I'm pleased that it looks acceptable to me. Very Happy Very Happy I got some Primer on and now can assemble this weekend. Fingers crossed that it all works together!! Shocked Shocked Sick

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

YES!!!! FINALLY!!!

Okay, don’t look at it anymore, or you know what will happen. Back to the start.

Instead, go get the other door!

Termites! Yes, lots of termites near most coastal regions. Those little critters keep me eating and Bugging!!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder, JIMBO! As you know the doors are my Nemesis!! Every time I think of them...I wanna run away. I wish I was smarter. It would make things a lot easier. Confused It's sure hard to get back into things. But I figured out that, If you DO things...Things get done. No two ways about it.

So, I forced myself to DO as much as I could muster this weekend. I put the door back on, again. Assembled the guts and it all worked pretty well. And looks pretty much the way I wanted.

There is the little piece of plastic tube sheathing for the cable to the interior door handle. I just used some tie wire for the test. I didn't want to waste any actual cable just for the test.

The window is pretty sturdy in the Fabbed channels. The action is a little tight. The channels need to be aligned a little better, but I'm gonna wait for the actual glass install and see how it reacts with the stiffer material. Put on the door card and all the hardware. Small issues are, I need to make a cut out for the Door Latch actuator arm extension I made. The door card can't engage there.

Also, I need to make some relief cut outs for the rear mounting screws for the rear window guide channel. Again, too high for the door card clips to engage. No big deal, I'll take care of those when I do the Upholstery portion of the build. Otherwise, I'm gonna call this door done!

Then, I was on to the other door. But, I couldn't get my head around jumping into that again. I went to something fresh. With the door assembled, I thought it would be a good time to mount the seats. You know, see how the seat height will work and if my knees would hit any of the hardware.
The seats I bought on CraigsList came with mounting adaptors for a Chevy S10. I'm gonna try and use them, at least for the adjustment height of the seat. Initially, I left the original/after market Pedestal and seat rails. Just in case I could use them for whatever seats I ended up with. Well, I can't use 'em, so out they came. It's sure a hassle with the body on the pan to get to those rails.
Also as you can see, the after market stuff always comes "Pre-Rusted". Just surface stuff, but that's where it begins. :2gunfire: See ya's next time.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Nice!!! And it looks TIGHT!!! Nice job man!

Really think you should dive into the other door soon. You know, before you forget your schooling from the side that looks AWESOME! You really did a great job. It looks really good!

Regardless, keep it going. I ALWAYS look for an update on your build. One of 4 that I check everyday!

Now, get back out there!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I agree JIMBO!,
It would make the most sense to finish the other door while it's fresh in my memory. I just get so discouraged when it feels like I'm taking too long to get some meaningful progress. I did keep all the templates I made for the Driver's door, so I can flip them over to make the other side.

The seats felt like a quick "WIN"...to get some satisfaction Laughing . But as usual, NOT SO MUCH! The Chevy S10 Bracket mounts were really all over the place. I guess the S10 mounting bolts are in really weird places and at all different heights and locations.

So, the first order of business was to see about the seat placement/height. With the Chop, it would have to be pretty low. I put some wood scraps under the bracket with the seat attached so I could play with the height by placing and removing pieces of wood.

As you can see, the seat itself has three adjustment slots for the seat bolts.

The seat bottoms are not too thick... the height works well. The front of the seats are just a bit wide, still fits though. I will shave the foam there when I redo the upholstery.

For the car mounting, my plan is to have a 1/8" bar welded to the floor pan with mounting bolts protruding up to mount to the seat brackets. This way the seat brackets are only attached to the pan and not to the body in anyway. Making body removal easy. I drilled holes through the 1/8" bar and used a 7/16th grade 8 bolt.
After tacking them in, I welded the threaded side and cut off the bolt head. Then, welded that side too.

Flipped it over and welded a large flat washer to the bolt and flat bar. Just a little more over-kill. I really don't want that to go anywhere! Wink

In the interest of time and unnecessary pics...after much measuring, cutting, welding and grinding, I made the front and rear mounts.

Did some test fitting.

Here's a comparison pic of the original Passenger side next to the modified Driver's side. Then cleaned and painted them up.

I'll have to wait for the paint to cure well before I do the final install. I don't wanna scratch it all up just yet. Confused
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Looks like you nailed it! Can not wait to see those seats installed. I had a GMC S15 Jimmy back in the early 90s. Those were comfy seats!!!! They ought to be nice!

As Always….LOOKING GOOD!

Oh yeah. That shot of the drivers door shut and in full primer. That looks really good. REALLY GOOD! Beautiful!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Hey JIMBO,
As always, you are too kind. Embarassed Embarassed
But, coming from you....I'll take it!!

And sadly, those aren't S10 seats. Those seats are SCAT Rally seats from 2012...(11YRS. OLD). Just the adapters are for an S10. I'm sure those GMC seats would've been really comfy, but they probably wouldn't have fit anyway. Sad The Scats just barely got in there.

Speaking of which, I got the Driver's side installed. I marked and cleaned my welding spots. Then, bolted it all together again and situated the seat assembly in the car.

I got the seats mounted a little farther back then most people. I'm sorta on the larger side,..ie...6'-1"/ 240lbs. (Were the Bug's interiors always this small?
I don't remember it being this tight when I was younger, and thinner).

Anyway, after marking the final placement of the mounting bolt bars, I unassembled everything again and welded them in. Then of course, I put it all back together again for the testing.

Aaaahh, so satisfying. Of all the things I've done thus far...this felt the most amazing!! Actually sitting in the Driver's seat again after 7 years. Very Happy Very Happy
I won't be posting for a month or so, while I do the other seat and door. I don't think anybody wants to see the same thing again for the other side. Same old...Same old, has not been my experience though, I'm sure I'll have some messed up surprises. Boo hoo! And if so, I will definitely share.

As we all know, this is not a "How to" Thread, It's more like a " What not to do" thread. Razz Razz
ALOJAHS!!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

That looks great! Be sure to reinforce those seat frame uprights with a web. You do not want anything folding if you find another car attached to you, accidentally!

And, I would be offended if you did not post something up during the process! I like reading your updates. I get it takes a bunch of time to do, but come on, brother! I need my MacJelly fix!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I hear ya JIM !
I know how you feel. I'm still sore at JEREMY G'S house and BUGEEE'S other projects getting in the way of my entertainment!!
I'll post the completed portions and any problems, that I'm sure I'll run into. I actually like posting very much. It's hard for me to gauge any progress when I've got my nose deep in the work. When I post it here, I can take a step back and HOPEFULLY see the progress.

And besides, I need the input. I had actually thought about welding in some Webbing supports for the "Legs" of the seat mount adapter, but got lazy. With another voice of caution added by you, I will indeed fix that up. Thank you very much!

I don't like posting without any pics. So, here's a few photos of a Local Island bug that was on Craigslist awhile back. It's the one I had photoshopped earlier. I don't quite remember how much he was asking, maybe $20k or around there. Enjoy!!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

EXACTLY! I am disappointed with the abrupt ending in their stories as well! I have hope that they will come back to conclude them, but......there are so many that never get finished. So many!

I will stand by. I am always looking for your thread. Good luck and have fun!

That Bug is sweet! Looks like a fun cruiser, driving along the coast! Smelling the ocean breeze and tasting the salt on your lips! That’s when you know the ocean is RIGHT THERE! The taste of salt everyday!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
r6kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Seriously, if I was fully retired I might possibly think about going as balls deep as you did. LOL! Not really. I'm following and kinda doing some drooling here and there. Maybe after my current build I'll learn to weld. Maybe after my 2nd build I'll learn to measure twice and cut once. And on my 3rd build I'll cut the shit and get right down to brass tacks! your VDub is gonna be pretty badass!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
EXACTLY! I am disappointed with the abrupt ending in their stories as well! I have hope that they will come back to conclude them, but......there are so many that never get finished. So many!

No worries, I'll finish some day. Even if I'm too old to drive it!!
I'll just polish and Rev the engine, listening to tunes in the garage.

r6kid wrote:
Seriously, if I was fully retired I might possibly think about going as balls deep as you did. LOL!

Thanks for looking in on my foolishness. Seriously, this project was not one of my smartest decisions. Seemed pretty straight forward at the time. I had seen all the shows(FULL CUSTOM GARAGE). Hell, even the BugMe videos always had "Wade", the younger son that would come in and bang out the actual work.

Ah well, Live...Learn...Repeat. Confused
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

So, Speaking of REPEAT...

I worked on the Passenger seat over the weekend. I was thinking it would be a breeze, as I would just copy the already finished Driver's side. Well, yes and No. Apparently, I still gotta cut, weld, grind and all that stuff. Crying or Very sad

Here's some copying of the Driver's side "feet".

After getting the angle of the foot matched up, I had to get the height matched up. I cut the length a little long so, it had to be trimmed to fit. I'm a bit ashamed of my laziness but here's a little hack, or bad habit. You decide.

Instead of just measuring, marking and cutting off 1/8", I turn the grinder sideways and "Eyeball" the 1/8" and put in some grooves. Then, I grind it down until the grooves are gone....There you have it 1/8", or thereabouts. Rolling Eyes

Then, I positioned the mounting bars/bolts. Situated the bolts and the bracket legs, to make sure they all fit nice and flat and all lined up. Tacked everything in place and welded them all REAL good.

At this time, I also Fabbed and installed supports for the front legs. The rear is made of the infamous bed frame scrap, so they have the "L" channel shape which I'm comfortable with.

Now, I'm ready to clean everything up and give it a coat of POR-15.

While I was welding the mounting bars to the Pan, there was a fair amount of acrid smoke from the burning of the previous coat under the Pan. I expected that and figured that I would have to clean up under the pan also. I hadn't looked yet. BOY, did I get some good penetration. Too Good!

I had to grind them down a little. I left my O.C.D. at the door and just got them flat. Really not fun, grinding upside down. I got a fair amount of crap in my eyes but, nothing serious. No visit to the eye Doctor this time. Razz

Then, prep and two coats of the POR. I gotta wait for everything to cure well and then I can see the final install. Then, me and the wife can sit next to each other again, just like High School. Embarassed

I'm pretty much outta welding gas and they were closed for the holiday weekend. Next, the dreaded door AWAITS!!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Man, I go for a 4 day brewery tour and all kinds of stuff goes on!

Nice job man! Loving it!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Aloha All,
It's been a couple of weeks. Personal crap came up. Then, trying to get my head back into it has been difficult. Some times, you just gotta force yourself to do something, anything...Baby steps.

So, I bought the missing hardware to mount the seats. Then I saw the mounting bolt plate for the passenger side. I remembered that I had eyeballed its placement and that I made the decision(hastily), to weld them in canted slightly toward the center, as compared to the Driver's side. You can see it here. the pair at the top.

Well, I mounted the seats and they look rather well fitted. To my eyes anyway. The wife and I sat in there together(She refused to take a picture with me). We fit pretty decently. Then I took the pics and I did not like the situation of the passenger seat. It's canted inward visibly, and I think that is going to bother me.

So, I think I'll have to do it right and fix it the second time. Oh well Rolling Eyes .
For your viewing pleasure here are the INSTALLED photos.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I like that big toe in the picture brother! Reminds me of someone else on here!

But it’s my boot! I hate when the sparkles get into a flip flop!!! Can you say FIRE DANCING!

Looking great! I love the looks of the seats in the car. Keep on going!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I like that big toe in the picture brother! Reminds me of someone else on here!

I hate when the sparkles get into a flip flop!!! Can you say FIRE DANCING!

Looking great! I love the looks of the seats in the car. Keep on going!

JIMBO,

Seriously, LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!
You should see all the "Sparkle Craters" in those Flip Flops! Actually, one of the personal issues I was having was healing from one of those burns to my left foot. I never learn Rolling Eyes.

On the positive side, I must've measured the Passenger side mounting brackets. Because, with a little adjustment the measurements are pretty close to the Driver's side and the seats look in-line now. I figure, the Seat adapter bracket must be a little off causing the canted install. No biggie, the carpet and the seat itself will cover that up. Bottom line....Moving on!! HaHa!
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Man this was an insane read! Usually I recoil at the thought at chopping up and old VW but not this man, your progress has been insane, can't wait to see how it turns out!

One question though; Those turbine wheels on your donor car, is there a brand on them or something? I've always had a soft spot for 70-80 era turbine wheels on a Beetle! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 21

Jump to: