Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod hanger
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Only thing holding my shift rod hanger is the shifter bolts. It's been that way since I've had the car. Didn't find out until I needed to swap out the bushing. My welder was broken when I put it back together so it just went back the same way with just the bolts. Works just fine. Maybe I'll tack it in if I ever need to get in there again.

I had created a thread re this question (at the end of this post), but got no responses, but you seem to the the man to ask.

I have put everything back together without attaching the hanger bracket to the tunnel, but no matter how I attempt to adjust it, I can only get one half of the H pattern (and reverse) - either 1st and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th, but never all four forward gears on the same adjustment.

I have tried every combination of old and new parts (shifters, reverse lockout brackets, and springs), but nothing works.

It all worked fine before the hanger bracket broke and the shift rod fell down off of the ball at the bottom of the shifter.

I am currently in the process of drilling out the new hanger bracket to accept countersunk bolts. Nuts. washers, lock washers, and blue threadlocker will be used to keep it all in place.

I'm using the holes I drilled in the tunnel to remove the old hanger bracket as a template. The new bracket is bolted into position for accuracy. I figure four bolts should hold it securely.

At any rate, apparently you did not have the issue I am having finding all the gears. Do you have any theories as to why this is happening?
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

It sounds to me like the rod that travels back doesn't have enough room to pivot from side to side. Are the bolts you used too long. What about the bushing and clamp, are they stock items.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
It sounds to me like the rod that travels back doesn't have enough room to pivot from side to side. Are the bolts you used too long. What about the bushing and clamp, are they stock items.

More details:

With the shifter removed, the cup and rod moves side to side enough to cross the H as normal.

The bolts do not come in contact with any parts of the cup or rod. I used 4 bolts that, when in position, do not interfere with the movement of the cup and rod.

No, the bushing and clamp are not stock items. The bushing is something I made from part of a thin plastic tube that is very similar in material to the stock one.

I went this route for two reasons:

1. The new stock bushing and clamp were flimsy, at best. The piece I made fits and allows the rod to move through it, both front to back and side to side with no resistance.

2. I read about the bronze bushings with the circlips and how well they are working and figured that if that works, then a thin piece of plastic similar to the stock plastic bushing should work, as well, and does offer plenty of movement, just not when the shifter is attached.

The only other variable, which I am going to examine today, is the replacement of the stock rear coupler with a urethane piece. I'm going to put the original one back in and see what happens. I don't see how that could make a difference, but I'm out of variables.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

Sorry idk why yours is doing that other than maybe the homemade bushing? I don't recall having and issues getting it adjusted with just the shifter bolts holding the hanger.

The rear might just be really worn. With the front tight, it's moving too much in the rear?

The replacement rear shifter cages are absolute garbage. Just take the new rubber pieces out of the kit, and install them in your stock cage. Throw the rest in the garbage.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

I put a urethane coupler in the rear. It seems to be pretty solid with no play.

I get full side to side rotational movement of the shift rod sans the shifter, but that is cut down considerably, as in about half, with a shifter installed.

It almost seems as if the reverse lockout bracket is blocking the shifter's ability to move sideways, but everything looks to be in the correct place.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod hanger Reply with quote

No one else has ever had this issue?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: